PDA

View Full Version : THIS is why I love St Louis in the summer...

Louis
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
The forecast for next week.

Keep in mind that this is going to be a humid, humid 100 degrees, with dewpoints as high as 81*-82*, not the comfy 100* weather you get out west where the humidity is much lower. Also, the lows in the evening will be around 80*-81*

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 95.

Monday: Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 98.

Tuesday: Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 100.

Wednesday: Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 101.

Thursday: Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 101.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 100.

maunahaole
07-15-2011, 07:18 PM
In heat like that even Budweiser tastes good.

rugbysecondrow
07-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Keep in mind that this is going to be a humid, humid 100 degrees, with dewpoints as high as 81*-82*, not the comfy 100* weather you get out west where the humidity is much lower. Also, the lows in the evening will be around 80*-81*

I was there on Tuesday. In the morning, I walked from the Westin at Busch across the street to the Eagleton Courthouse and was a sweaty mess. You would have thought I had run 4 miles in my suit.

I grew up in Illinois, but I am no longer used to that mess. Yuck.

chuckroast
07-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Here's what I notice. On these design days, I have to overide my programmable thermostat because otherwise, the A/C in the house can't keep up.

Ken Robb
07-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Now THAT'S funny. I wondered what would be required for that to taste good. :beer:

gomango
07-15-2011, 08:05 PM

Coming our way starting tomorrow. :(

Our son is playing in a big regional soccer tourney, and this will not enhance anyone's performance.

Supposed to last (heat) in the Twin Cities for a week or two.

I'll be riding with the sun, that's for certain.

bart998
07-15-2011, 08:09 PM
It's 74 and low humidity in SoCal.... Hope it stays this way.

RPS
07-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Hang in there Louis, you are not alone. This entire part of the country is experiencing a heat wave and drought like none I can recall. We had many record temperatures in June, including two 105s back-to-back in early June if I recall correctly. Those kinds of temperatures are rare in July and August, but unheard of in early June. And lack of rain is the worse that Texas has seen since 1956.

And thus far July is no better. The ground is so dry it’s affecting house foundations, and city water lines are breaking. I think a tropical storm or small hurricane would be welcomed. :rolleyes:

cat6
07-15-2011, 10:31 PM

hahahaha!

Waldo
07-15-2011, 11:53 PM
hahahaha!

All right. That's funny. But it's been low 50 and high 60 in Oakland for most of the week and I'm ready for some sunshine, though not St. Louis's version. Damn, I still don't know how I survived three years of WashU law school in that weather.

maunahaole
07-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Probably plenty of sun in Stockton. Or Orinda, if you don't feel like getting your torso ventilated.

Louis
07-16-2011, 12:38 AM
What I think really makes it bad here is that we get if from both ends.

In the summer we get highs above 100*F and in the winter we get lows below 0*F. That makes for a total swing of over 100* which is one heck of big range, neither end of which is much fun, especially if you're into cycling.

Edit: Maybe I should take up stamp collecting instead of biking.

Birddog
07-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Yesterday's high was 107* the overnight low 82*. In the OKC area we have had 25 or 26 triple digit degree days (I lost count). The only consolation is that the humidity burns off in the afternoons making it somewhat bearable. The weather extremists are all watching to see if we can beat the record of 50 triple digit days set in 1980.

rugbysecondrow
07-16-2011, 07:48 AM

In the summer we get highs above 100*F and in the winter we get lows below 0*F. That makes for a total swing of over 100* which is one heck of big range, neither end of which is much fun, especially if you're into cycling.

Agreed. I remember summers in St Louis at old Busch Stadium, if it was 100 outside the stadium, it was 110 inside. No air flow, intense heat. Help, that part of the midwest is pretty wicked, so horrible weather.

Maryland on the other hand is pretty nice!

firerescuefin
07-16-2011, 09:55 AM

I actually enjoy riding in the heat/humidity as long as I can keep the fluids coming....Central Florida is about as nasty as it gets (comparable) and it makes you a lot "harder" when you travel to other regions of the country. As you said, 100 in Colorado is nothing compared to St. Louis...but no one rides when it's 100 here. People will pull up next to me in their cars and ask me 1) Why are you riding in this heat 2) Do you need a ride back (has happened twice).

Be forewarned about riding in Colorado...dehydration can sneak up on you quickly here. Don't be fooled by the dry heat at elevation. I have seen a few couple people get in trouble/had rides ruined because of this.

Plum Hill
07-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Been here all of my life and haven't been smart enough to leave.

Try this:
Grab Weisan and head over to Madison County on the good side of the river. Try an early evening ride using the NKP, Watershed, and Schoolhouse Trails for shade.
Stop in at North Main Dairy King. Then bop down to Annie's Frozen Custard. Finish up at Bobby's Frozen Custard for treats and music on the weekends (tonight's act is Miss Jubilee and the Humdingers; tomorrow's is The Bel Airs).

And use napkins.

oliver1850
07-16-2011, 09:31 PM
If you want to come north to escape the heat and humidity, you are always welcome. I'll open the windows in the spare bedroom, even put the screens in if mosquitoes bother you. Once we get all the hay baled, you can ride all you want in the cool dry northern Illinois air. Pic is today. There seems to be something wrong on the horizon, normally you can see things out there.

rounder
07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
I lived in St. Louis for awhile. Do they still have buffalo and other wild animals roaming around the Busch farm.

Louis
07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Oliver, if I rode up there I'd loose what little climbing ability I have now. :p

Rounder, it's been quite a while since I went to Grant's Farm (the Busch place with the wild animals and some Clydesdales) but I believe they still have the various critters roaming around there.

I live west and north of that, but there are quite a few farms around here and at least one of them has some bison. Sometimes, depending on what pasture they happen to be in, they'll be right by the road and I talk to them as I ride by. (They have yet to answer.) Some of them are pretty intimidating.

Suntourguy
07-17-2011, 02:07 AM
Last July I was in New Orleans one weekend and St. Louis the next. The St. Louis weather was much more unpleasant. St Louis summer always feels like it's below sea level. My wife and I did do a really fun ride from Alton to Pere Marquette state park and back. Heat index was 17,000,000. But I find it's no problem to ride in hot weather even at my advanced age.
Ken

ahumblecycler
07-17-2011, 07:41 AM
I also live on the opposite side of the state (with a good brewery I feel obligated to mention), and my commute this coming week will be rough. Oh well, I may tone done my return commute to 35 miles instead of 50 ... or not :cool:

I am glad I will be sporting my De Soto Arm Coolers ... they are da' bomb!

avalonracing
07-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Maryland on the other hand is pretty nice!

Man, I couple of nice days and you get cocky. Considering it is going to be very humid too I ask... How is this pretty nice?

rugbysecondrow
07-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Man, I couple of nice days and you get cocky. Considering it is going to be very humid too I ask... How is this pretty nice?

The heat is not equal to STL or even central Illinois. 90 degrees here feels better than the humid 80 degrees there.

Not even to mention the winters...Maryland is easy in comparison.

Kevan
07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Back in late June, my extended family and I did a road trip from St. Louis to Hannibal, up along route 79, and absolutely fell in love with some of that country. Where 79 was flooded out by the river, we would have to take detours that took us west some, past some beautiful farmland. Hannibal itself isn't exactly a garden spot and we hoped that Twain's mark there would have been bigger. Guess not. Those roads we travelled getting there were beautiful and I just couldn't believe there wasn't a single cyclist in sight. Not until we were kicking around in Hannibal did I see a guy on a road bike and he was pretty frank that the cycling sucked there. Hmmm...

We went on into Illinois, up to Chicago, and I have to say MO was a whole lot purdier.

Boy, am I glad we missed that heat though.

Louis
07-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Those roads we travelled getting there were beautiful and I just couldn't believe there wasn't a single cyclist in sight.

This may be a stereotype, but I don't think I'm that far off the mark:

Per mile of "nice cycling road" (and perhaps per capita) I think there are a heck of a lot more cyclists in cities and big towns than out in rural areas.

The rolling hills make that part of MO much nicer than the flat, flat areas of ILL between St Louis and Chicago. Not a whole lot of jobs though...

oliver1850
07-18-2011, 12:39 AM
There is nice scenery and good riding between St. Louis and Chicago, virtually the whole distance. You have to stay close to the Illinois River though, you're not going to see much of it from the Interstate.

I wouldn't think there's anything the Hannibal area lacks for cycling, except more cyclists. I assume that is what was meant by the comment.

I am constantly disappointed in the lack of riders in my area. I rode 80 miles Wednesday. It was a perfect day, 80 degrees and low humidity. We won't have 7 days that nice all summer. I rode through 10 small towns (largest about 7,000 pop.), saw not a single rider the whole trip.

Z3c
07-18-2011, 01:42 AM
I spent 15 years living in KC before moving to Az; the heat in KC is terrible; I refer that region as the Mid-Worst. The weather is the worst of all worlds; brutal winters, rain, storms, horrible summers and lots of mosquitos.. Makes me laugh when Tucson braces for Monsoon season..

Not even that weather can make Bud taste good!

Pete Serotta
07-18-2011, 01:49 AM
My daughter lives there and she has just had her second son in July and our second grandson. My wife has become a bi monthly traveler with South West. :D :D

chuckroast
07-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I spent 15 years living in KC before moving to Az; the heat in KC is terrible; I refer that region as the Mid-Worst. The weather is the worst of all worlds; brutal winters, rain, storms, horrible summers and lots of mosquitos.. Makes me laugh when Tucson braces for Monsoon season..

Not even that weather can make Bud taste good!

Hey Z3c, I've lived here 31 years and your analysis is pretty much spot on. But I like it here!

And, Boulevard Beer for me, thank you very much.

Stafford
07-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, I went to nor Wis to escape the heat. Only problem is I didn't escape the heat. Low 90s, high humidity and no AC. I'm not complaining, though. I don't mind a bit and the riding is great.

godfrey1112000
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
one of the only reasons to live there