PDA

View Full Version : This "Creak/Click" Is Driving Me Crazy! And Yes, I've Done A Search...

tlarwa
07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I have been battling one of the dreaded mystery creaks all week, and it's driving me nuts. It occurs on the downstroke on the NDS (or so it seems), and happens when I'm climbing (in or out of the saddle). It's more pronounced when I'm climbing out of the saddle though. Sure sounds like it's coming from the bb area, but I know how mis-leading that can be. I've read through a lot of the posts here that suggested things to look at to eliminate it. I've pulled the bb several times, regreasing the threads and making sure the cups and crank are tight. I've tightened the chainring bolts. I've tightened the FD mount, bottle cages, headset, bars/stem connection, etc. I've applied a thing layer of grease to the dropouts (front and rear). All to no avail. In fact, I think it's getting worse. Although I greased the saddle rails (Fizik Aliante), I dont thing that was it anyway since it happens when I'm out of the saddle. I'm not sure what else to try? Could it be that the bb shell needs to be refaced (it's an aluminum/carbon mix frame). My fear is that there's a crack somewhere in one of the welds that only rears it's ugly head under stress. I don't feel any difference, though, and I don't see any evidence of that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I want some peace and quiet!

Tom

oldpotatoe
07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I have been battling one of the dreaded mystery creaks all week, and it's driving me nuts. It occurs on the downstroke on the NDS (or so it seems), and happens when I'm climbing (in or out of the saddle). It's more pronounced when I'm climbing out of the saddle though. Sure sounds like it's coming from the bb area, but I know how mis-leading that can be. I've read through a lot of the posts here that suggested things to look at to eliminate it. I've pulled the bb several times, regreasing the threads and making sure the cups and crank are tight. I've tightened the chainring bolts. I've tightened the FD mount, bottle cages, headset, bars/stem connection, etc. I've applied a thing layer of grease to the dropouts (front and rear). All to no avail. In fact, I think it's getting worse. Although I greased the saddle rails (Fizik Aliante), I dont thing that was it anyway since it happens when I'm out of the saddle. I'm not sure what else to try? Could it be that the bb shell needs to be refaced (it's an aluminum/carbon mix frame). My fear is that there's a crack somewhere in one of the welds that only rears it's ugly head under stress. I don't feel any difference, though, and I don't see any evidence of that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I want some peace and quiet!

Tom

Pedals? Ride w/o cycling shoes and if you still hear it, swap pedals.

Also if it's an alumunum frame, a wee bit of warm lindseed oil down the seat tube..wait about 60 minutes and try it.

victoryfactory
07-15-2011, 04:56 PM
yep
pedals or cleats

shiny boy
07-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Check your skewers, especially if they're ti, do 'em up a bit tighter.

Every time I get a creak it's either the skewers or the pedal threads, but you say you've checked those?

Might be worth a second look? Again titanium could be the culprit, if you have ti axles put plenty of copper slip on the threads and the creaks will go away.

It's unbelievable that these two small details can make your bike sound like it's on the verge of collapse. :)

Chris
07-15-2011, 06:22 PM
grease the pedal threads

sg8357
07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Ride one legged, sometimes it is the pedal bearings.

If a square taper BB, inspect the spindle for cracks.

false_Aest
07-15-2011, 06:36 PM
1 more vote for tightening quick release.

Why?

Because 4 times I've sworn it was my BB creaking, and then the pedals, then shoes, then seatpost and saddle.

Because 4 times it was the quick release.

oldguy00
07-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Another vote for front quick release. Try a completely different sent (borrow from someone if necessary).

martinrjensen
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
This can be incredably frustrating to find. I've had the problem be pedals, crankset, seat post and stem (quil) with most of the time the pedal axel.

CNY rider
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Because 4 times I've sworn it was my BB creaking, and then the pedals, then shoes, then seatpost and saddle.

Because 4 times it was the quick release.

It's taken me a while but I finally got this straight as well.
Particularly on my Ti bikes, every creak or groan sounds like it is coming from the bottom bracket. I would swear to it.
Know what? It's probably not and I went crazy looking for it once myself til I changed a flat one day on the front wheel and realized it fixed my "bottom bracket" tick.

1centaur
07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Pull clean and grease the seat post. If you have a long post in the ST and don't need it to get minimum insertion, try cutting it shorter so the possible twist of the ST under climbing power does not conflict with the different torsion of the seat post. Grease the seat post/saddle clamp too. Consider screws in the saddle - lube and tighten.

tlarwa
07-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Not the pedals. I put my son's on and it made no difference. I had lubed the threads on mine before that anyway. I already greased the seat rails and snugged it down good. It's a carbon post, so I don't want to lube it. I get the creak worse when I'm out of the saddle anyway... I'll tighten the skewers more, but it happens regardless of the wheelset, and they use different skewers (Mavic and Ultegra). Like I said, I've already greased the dropouts. Any other ideas? I'll try them all, no matter how hard to believe they might be!

By the way, it's a GXP Mega Exo BB.

firerescuefin
07-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Grease Front D Clamp (if you have a clamp)

Grease spline on rear hub body

tlarwa
07-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Grease Front D Clamp (if you have a clamp)

Grease spline on rear hub body

Nope, not it. It's a braze-on FD (well, rivet on actually since it's an aluminum frame) and it happens with both sets of wheels so it's not the rear spline.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

SPOKE
07-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Rivitted in bottle cage bosses can loosen over time/miles. A couple drops of your favorite oil, I use synthetic motor oil around each boss where it is contacting the frame tube. Take the bike for a ride to check for the noise. If the noise is gone then make a trip to your LBS and have them either snug up the bosses or install new ones.

SPOKE
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Dribble some of that synthetic motor oil around that front derailleur mount too. They can get a little loose over time just like the bottle cage bosses.

1centaur
07-15-2011, 08:31 PM
You CAN lube a carbon post, but use carbon paste instead if it's a concern. When you sit on the saddle you anchor the post more than when you don't - that's one reason I think it's post or saddle related.

SoCalSteve
07-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Try a different wheelset altogether, front and rear. Maybe its where the spokes are touching each other in the cross pattern. Has happened to me on a couple occasions.

The fix is putting something like a piece of tape in between the spokes where the touch (cross).

Good luck! I'm having the same problem with one of my bikes. I feel your frustration!

tlarwa
07-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Try a different wheelset altogether, front and rear. Maybe its where the spokes are touching each other in the cross pattern. Has happened to me on a couple occasions.

The fix is putting something like a piece of tape in between the spokes where the touch (cross).

Good luck! I'm having the same problem with one of my bikes. I feel your frustration!

I have ridden with both my wheelsets (carbones and neuvatons) and it doesn't make a difference. I don't think it's the wheels.

tlarwa
07-15-2011, 08:51 PM
You CAN lube a carbon post, but use carbon paste instead if it's a concern. When you sit on the saddle you anchor the post more than when you don't - that's one reason I think it's post or saddle related.

I'll give it a try. I have greased the rails and oiled the shell/rail connections. I haven't tried greasing the post itself though. Gotta get some carbon paste!

avalonracing
07-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Is there a cable guide under the BB? If so pull that off clean, but a thin layer of grease and reinstall (lubing the bolt too).

Is it a loud creak, or a very slight click or tick?

tlarwa
07-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Is there a cable guide under the BB? If so pull that off clean, but a thin layer of grease and reinstall (lubing the bolt too).

Is it a loud creak, or a very slight click or tick?

There is. I'll lube it up. It's a runs from more of a tick to a pretty good creak when I'm climbing hard out of the saddle.

jimcav
07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
i had the same issue, switched wheels, but turned out both my wheels needed grease where the spokes cross. why it took a varied amount of time to occur i don't know--in hindsight i think they had roughly similar mileage. initially when I switched wheels, I had a few rides where i thought i had fixed the problem (wrongly thinking it was the free hub or hub), then the "new" wheel started doing it--turned out it was the spokes rubbing. i used speedplay grease
good luck

oldguy00
07-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Loosen, clean, re-tighten all handlebar/stem areas.
If all that fails, I'd try a new bottom bracket.
This is of course all assuming you've closely inspected the BB area to make sure there is in fact no crack visible on the frame itself.
:beer:

sokyroadie
07-16-2011, 06:00 AM
My weird noise was a chain quick link - superlinks suck - KMC missing links ++++. Mine was on 11s Campy.

Good luck

Jeff

Chris
07-16-2011, 07:22 AM
This all sounds to me like a very good reason for you to go out today and buy a new bike. :)

I hate little noises that can't be found. Ruins a ride for me.

veggieburger
07-16-2011, 07:41 AM
This all sounds to me like a very good reason for you to go out today and buy a new bike. :)

I hate little noises that can't be found. Ruins a ride for me.

AGREED. Currently diagnosing a creak myself. Grease every contact point, check for cracks on the frame, check headset...if you've done all the critical checks, admit defeat and take it to a good bike shop.

weiwentg
07-16-2011, 08:43 AM
creaks are like soft tissue injuries in insurance - vey hard to diagnose. my latest one was my left Speedplay pedal complaining - I thought it was the BB.

Tim Porter
07-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I know you've greased the dropouts and that it happens with both wheelsets, but have you spritzed some tri-flow or equivalent on the rear quick release mechanisms and their cams? That's what's caused similar creaks on two of my bikes, with different brands of QRs. Good luck. Tim

Wilkinson4
07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Had one too I thought was the BB but it was my left pedal. Took it off and greased the treads up good and re-tightened. Good to go.

mIKE

victoryfactory
07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I once tracked down a creak to dry head-on (or on the DT)
cable adjusters. schpritz 'em
Hell... dip the whole bike in oil like they did to C3PO
in Starwars
this ones a winner!

Zoomie80
07-16-2011, 02:13 PM
How 'bout cleaning and greasing the chainring bolts?