PDA

View Full Version : Stage 12 spoiler and analysis

Karin Kirk
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Wow, it's coming on noon (mountain time) and there is no thread started yet. What are you people all working or something? :)

I was thinking the stage might be ridden too conservatively to be fun to watch, but I was wrong! The highlights for me:

Wow Voekler, what an impressive performance by him and his teammates. The TdF elites must've been asking themselves, "what is he still doing here?"

Jens Voight pulling for about 45 minutes, just riding an insane tempo. That guy is awesome.

I hate to root against someone because that is not very sporting, but I was glad to see Contador not just toy with everyone and ride away with it as usual. I was wondering if he was not feeling it this year, and now that is confirmed.

The Schlecks looked great. First one attack and then the other. Hard to beat that.

Evans, Basso, Cunego - all holding strong. Fun to watch that group get thinner and thinner and see who's left.

It's looking like we'll have a lot more suspense about the eventual winner. And until then, GO Voekler!

tele
07-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Voekler and that kid pulling him the whole way were uber impressive!

I must admit I was smiling when Contador wasnt in the pictures when they showed Cadel coming around the bends near the finish. He really has been bugging me lately.

What was Cunego doing there? Teasing us with his form or blowing his brains out for just 1 stage?

Sets up interestingly for Saturday....

Ray
07-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I personally like Contador but I sort of figured that he was too dominant and TOTALLY on top of his form in the Giro to be really strong in the Tour. And all of the crashes in the first week must have taken a bit more out of him. I don't think he was full strength last year either (and didn't like him going when AS dropped his chain anymore than anyone else did either) - I hope next year he focusses on the Tour so he and Andy (or anyone else who can step up) can fight it out at their best. If Alberto really isn't on form, I gotta figured its Andy or Frank but I really don't know which one. I don't think anyone else is in their class. This year might be Cadel's best shot, but I just don't think Cadel is a Tour winner. But then again, I didn't think Sastre was either...

And one more thing - does Jens even acknowledge the CONCEPT of aging? That guy's amazing - after landing on his face a year or two ago, nearing 40 years old, to lay it down like he did today is just WRONG...

-Ray

firerescuefin
07-14-2011, 02:26 PM
I personally like Contador but I sort of figured that he was too dominant and TOTALLY on top of his form in the Giro to be really strong in the Tour. And all of the crashes in the first week must have taken a bit more out of him. I don't think he was full strength last year either (and didn't like him going when AS dropped his chain anymore than anyone else did either) - I hope next year he focusses on the Tour so he and Andy (or anyone else who can step up) can fight it out at their best. If Alberto really isn't on form, I gotta figured its Andy or Frank but I really don't know which one. I don't think anyone else is in their class. This year might be Cadel's best shot, but I just don't think Cadel is a Tour winner. But then again, I didn't think Sastre was either...

And one more thing - does Jens even acknowledge the CONCEPT of aging? That guy's amazing - after landing on his face a year or two ago, nearing 40 years old, to lay it down like he did today is just WRONG...

-Ray

I don't think Cadel's ever been on this kind of form and looked as strong as anyone left. He is a different rider than the last time he was here (in a real position to win)...and the Schlecks better take some time out of him before the ITT. I don't see Cadel repeating his Sastre year performance where he gagged in the final TT....Sad to see Kloden go down again...I think he could have been right there if he hadn't gone down a couple stages ago.

Tommy D is right there. Great way to start the first reall climbing stage. Hopefully his legs just get better.

norcalbiker
07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Cadel surprise me. I hope he did not have any spanish meat. I really like him and I hope he wins. If not, then Andy or Frank will do. As long as it's not Contador. :D

1centaur
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Armstrong's fakeout of Jan years ago has spawned a thousand guessed fakeouts after that, but has one ever really been true? It takes such superior form to fake someone out that it's just not worth it. As Ray said, AC really didn't have it last year and does not have it this year. His Giro performance looked like his Tour performances when he DID have it. He's just so good that when he doesn't have it he's a credible top 5 in a grand tour, but I also think he has a very sensitive machine. In retrospect his 6 GCs in a row will seem surprising (doping aside). Commentators really should spend more time guessing which AC is showing up to any given race. Hint - if you see his teeth as he breathes in the first week he has not got it, and he's not faking. If he glides up to surgers he's got it.

Basso continues not to have explosive ability, and he can't TT. This is Cadel's Tour unless he's popped on a mountain. I wonder at anybody's ability to win by a minute over Cadel if they can't crush Voeckler and a teammate on Luz Ardiden. I'm starting to wonder if a Schleck will ever ride away from the field with 10k to go and take more than a minute.

gone
07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I heart Jens Voigt.

Ray
07-14-2011, 08:19 PM
I wonder at anybody's ability to win by a minute over Cadel if they can't crush Voeckler and a teammate on Luz Ardiden.
A couple of interviews seemed to indicate nobody was planning to really let it out today in deference to Saturday's brutal stage. I'd say by the end of Saturday, we'll have a better idea. I don't expect Contador to suddenly dominate, but it might clarify matters between Cadel and the Schlecks and anyone else who thinks they're in contention.

Maybe Voekler will hold 'em off all the way to Paris! Actually, no way. But how cool would THAT be!?

-Ray

Samster
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Maybe Voekler will hold 'em off all the way to Paris! Actually, no way. But how cool would THAT be!?

-Ray
_that_ would be great. i really like that guy. he's a longshot underdog and he gets my vote.

Samster
07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
<snip>... but I was glad to see Contador not just toy with everyone and ride away with it as usual.
<snip> ... GO Voekler!
first part: to my eyes, contador is a competitor with guts but not a lot of heart.

second part: voekler has heart and a lot of guts besides.

thinpin
07-15-2011, 07:13 AM
contador is a competitor with guts but not a lot of heart.

contador is a competitor with guts but not a lot of...spanish meat.