PDA

View Full Version : Another Saddle question..Flite Ti

Wayne77
06-30-2005, 11:51 PM
I've been set on putting an Aliante on my new Concours for quite some time now, but the $200 price tag has me looking at some alternatives for the time being.

I'm actually looking at the tried and true Flite Ti. The saddles I've had so far:

San Marco Era - hated it.

SI SLR Gelflow - stitching right under the sit bones and that oval cutout just plain sucks

Fizik Arione - The sit bone area is waay comfy, but the raised center portion down the middle doesn't feel so good on longer rides

Koobi PRS - Great saddle for stiff beer can frame like my Klein - takes out all road buzz and small bumps. the outside edges in the middle aren't rounded enough so it can hurt if one isn't sitting on it just right.

So is the Flite worth a try? Or is the Aliante worth the price? How would you describe the fit of the flite?

I've seen some Serotta branded flites - are those still available?

arsegas
07-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Holy cow...looks like Fizik raised prices on the Aliante?? I bought one about a year ago and I could've sworn it was $150 at most then. And I thought that was dropping some coin...

Saddles are a very personal choice, so take any comments with a big grain of salt. However, I tried a bunch of saddles (WTB something-or-other, Terry Fly, Selle Italia Turbomatic). They were all highly rated on roadbikereview, but nothing really worked right until the I finally bit the bullet and got the Aliante. The Aliante has been great...since I switched, I've had much less discomfort during longer rides and no more numbness. Try to find a LBS that carries a large variety of saddles and let's you try them and return if unsatisfied. Also, if you need a reference point, I'm a small guy, with a thinner, bonier bottom.

William
07-01-2005, 05:37 AM
And there's a reason for that, nice quality and good anatomical shape.

As has been said already, saddle choice is a very personal thing. As far as the Flite. I've been using them for years and really like them. I'm a big guy and I have no problems even on high mileage rides. The shape fits me fine. I haven't experimented with others....I've considered it, but have yet to do it. I have bigger bike fish to fry first before I start dropping big coin on saddles.

William

Otis50
07-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Tried them all, except the Fizik's. Have been riding with a Flite Ti for 6 years and they are ok for me for 25 miles, then they lose their appeal. Bought the Selle Italia Turbomatic IV (do not get the gel model) and absolutely love it. Nothing else has come close. Worth a shot if you can find one, they are going out of production or have gone out of production. Good Luck

Ken Lehner
07-01-2005, 06:36 AM
I've been riding a Flite saddle (the non-gel version) exclusively for over 15 years. It's on my road bike and my TT bike. I've used it for everything from 6 mile TTs to 50 mile road races to 100+ mile centuries to triathlons of varying lengths. Never a problem, and at about $50-60 per, it's a great deal.

Ray
07-01-2005, 07:12 AM
...I won't try to push one or the other. But I will tell you that the Flite was about the least comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. And I love the Aliante. Which is not to say that one is better than the other, but that they're very very different. If you don't know whether you like the Aliante or not, I'd certainly try some cheaper alternatives first. But if you already have some experience with the Aliante and like it, you might not like the flite at all.

The ti version of the Aliante is cheaper, although I imagine it's pretty pricey now too. I have both carbon and ti and like them both equally.

-Ray

dirtdigger88
07-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I am Flite user (though now using an Arione on my Serotta)- Flite saddles rock- I would offer this- If you did not like the "middle" part of an Arione- try tilting the nose downward a degree or so- it has been agreed apon here- can you believe that- that Ariones need that slight tilt down. The rails flex when you sit and that causes the nose to rise

Jason

Dave
07-01-2005, 07:43 AM
The Fizik Gobi seems to get overlooked as an MTB saddle. I've found it to be the most comfortable I've ridden in years. The shape suits me better than anything else out there. It's rounded from side to side and curved from front to back.

I adjust he angle by placing a level on the tail and setting the nose about 1cm lower. This creates a lowest spot somewhere towards the middle.

pjm
07-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Long time Flite user. I find the Flite Ti Trans Am with the center cut-out to be a little comfier than a standard Flite.

tch
07-01-2005, 07:56 AM
and I like it. But when it came time to find a saddle for my second bike, I just couldn't spring for another $150+ saddle. I put a Selle San Marco Concor on my Rivendell and I like it. It is different -- but in a good way -- from the Aliante and I find the two compatible alternatives. Concor is a bit harder and narrower feeling, but fits the sit bones even a bit better.

The good news is that they are out of date and cheap; I think I paid $35 for mine from some mail order place like Excel or Supergo.

Kevin
07-01-2005, 07:58 AM
I love my Alliantes. Have them on two bikes and have a couple on the shelf in case the saddle gets discontinued. You never regret buying the best.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
07-01-2005, 08:11 AM
BROOKS!!!!--oh wait. . .we got in trouble for that somewhere else. . .

Sorry

Jason

William
07-01-2005, 08:17 AM
I love my Alliantes. Have them on two bikes and have a couple on the shelf in case the saddle gets discontinued. You never regret buying the best.

Kevin

Same with the Flites, I like to have a few around. You're right, I don't regret buying the best....................for me. ;)

William

Wayne77
07-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll try a flite first since they are so inexpensive these days, then revisit the Arione (doesn't someone here have some kind of home remedy with the arione that involves the use of a blow dryer??) If I see a good deal on an Aliante I'll snatch it up though. I liked it alot on my friend's bike when I took it for a 20 miler..

Ti Designs
07-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Maybe we could have a special section of the Serotta site where everybody sits on a scanner and posts the pics along with which saddles they like or hate. That way you can match your a$$ with the a$$ of other people and narrow down the search a bit...

Tom
07-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Maybe we could have a special section of the Serotta site where everybody sits on a scanner and posts the pics along with which saddles they like or hate. That way you can match your a$$ with the a$$ of other people and narrow down the search a bit...

That's a really good idea... maybe like the machine at the ski shop where you can get footbeds for your boots.

That's it! I'm gonna make a million dollars! "Butt Beds" custom bike saddles!

ClutchCargo
07-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Long time Flite user. I find the Flite Ti Trans Am with the center cut-out to be a little comfier than a standard Flite.

same here. rode the Flite until my s.o. suggested the cutout model (was she lookin' out for my interest or hers?). have used the Flite Ti Trans Am ever since and it's been good to me, short rides or centuries, no problems. they used to make a Max Flite Trans Am for those who wanted a little wider sitbone area, but don't know if it's still being made (SelleItalia seems to have been changing their line quite a bit recently). it's like fitting ski boots, though -- very personal to your particular anatomy.

Wayne77
07-01-2005, 08:54 AM

Please, oh please, tell me you have to have your cycling shorts on for this...

darylb
07-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll try a flite first since they are so inexpensive these days, then revisit the Arione (doesn't someone here have some kind of home remedy with the arione that involves the use of a blow dryer??) If I see a good deal on an Aliante I'll snatch it up though. I liked it alot on my friend's bike when I took it for a 20 miler..

Standard disclaimer: saddles are very personal but here is my story. I tried an Aliante (thanks Bill) and really wanted to like it. Couple of 20 milers to get the new bike dialed in and it felt fine. Not any better or worse than anything else. Finally took it for a solid 50 miler and thought it was going to cut me in half. Put my old Koobi back on and all was right in the universe. Moral of the story, try all the saddles you want but when you find one you like, buy them in bulk.

Kevin
07-01-2005, 09:12 AM
BROOKS!!!!--oh wait. . .we got in trouble for that somewhere else. . .

Sorry

Jason

I am still trying to break in my Brooks Swallow. Right now it still feels like a rock. But it is getting better.

Kevin