PDA

View Full Version : specialized helmets?

AngryScientist
07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
i'm a longtime fan of specialized accessories. i love their road shoes, the beloved toupe saddle, baselayers and gloves.

i need a new helmet, and like to keep it in the $100 range. anyone tried the Propero? feedback on the retention system, cooling, fit, durability or otherwise?

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/6498?$Display$

TAW
07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I work in a Specialized shop. The only basic difference between their helmets is the weight and amount of vents. The retention system in the Propero and the more expensive ones is basically the same, just a dial on the bike which loosens/tightens. It works pretty well, allows you to adjust on the fly with one hand. They also provide extra pads to make it fit how you like. Hope that helps.

AngryScientist
07-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I work in a Specialized shop. The only basic difference between their helmets is the weight and amount of vents. The retention system in the Propero and the more expensive ones is basically the same, just a dial on the bike which loosens/tightens. It works pretty well, allows you to adjust on the fly with one hand. They also provide extra pads to make it fit how you like. Hope that helps.

thanks, it does, and that's good to know. i think i will stop at a specialized shop after work and check one out.

WeakRider
07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I've never tried a Propero, but the S-Works is the only helmet that fits my big dome properly. Super comfortable, light, and well ventilated.

BillG
07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I've never tried a Propero, but the S-Works is the only helmet that fits my big dome properly. Super comfortable, light, and well ventilated.

+1 Giant freak head = Specialized

DonH
07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I have both the Propero and the S-Works helmet. The fit is identical. Although the retension system is slightly different on the Propero it still works very well.
Honestly the only thing I like better on the S-works is slightly better venting
and the color availability that my local shop had in stock.
The Propero is a great helmet IMO.

AngryScientist
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I have both the Propero and the S-Works helmet. The fit is identical. Although the retension system is slightly different on the Propero it still works very well.
Honestly the only thing I like better on the S-works is slightly better venting
and the color availability that my local shop had in stock.
The Propero is a great helmet IMO.

good feedback, thanks.

1happygirl
07-14-2011, 11:51 AM
A non-techinical comment but the helmet looks sharp in my opinion.
+1000 on all the Specialized stuff (including bikes)!

Sharp stuff.

Straz
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Picked up a Propero last summer after wearing a Giro Pneumo for a couple years. I like the Propero much better. I have a small head and it fits me well and keeps me much cooler than the Giro ever did. Had to wear a headband with the Giro to keep the sweat out of my eyes, since using the Propero, I have yet to use it.

Tim

brainvacation77
07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
s-works helmet here. the retention system gives me a secure fit. the one thing i like best are the front vents. that forehead grill really keeps my head cool on those hot days.