PDA

View Full Version : Campy triple question

sjbraun
07-13-2011, 09:24 PM
I picked up a Velo-Orange rando frame a while back. It was at my LBS for a build and we ran into a spot of bother. (I guess I've been watching too much Tour coverage.)

Anyway, I'm doing a Campy 10 speed triple build: Chorus 53x42x30 crankset, Record 111mm BB, and a NOS, braze-on Racing Triple FD. The shop used a generic clamp-on adapter and found the derailleur wouldn't shift into the big chain ring. They adjusted the limit screw until it was just barley engaged and still couldn't get the shifting right.

So, do I try a different adapter?

Do I need a different FD? If so, do I need to find a Chorus triple FD?

All informed opinions welcome.

Thanks

oliver1850
07-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd look at other clamp adapters. Maybe there's some variation in how far from the bike centerline the mount is. What size seat tube? I have several brands of 32 adapters, not so much in 35. I may also have something in a Campy triple FD that's clamp on if you want to try it.

ultraman6970
07-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, capagnolo is not doing triple since long time ago but so far i know a regular 2000+ record should work just fine, we even tried once with a veloce 2009 shifters with a triple crankset and triple 9 FD i believe it was and worked fine

Maybe the problem u have is the set up of the shifters?? What shifters are u using? record 10 or something? What clamp are u using?

sjbraun
07-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Yup, NOS Record 10
Need a 26.8 adapter

Mike748
07-13-2011, 09:54 PM
I haven't used the Racing triple derailleurs, only Record, Chorus and Centaur, but I have used them on clamp on adapters without issue. I'd try a different clamp. If you need a 28.6 clamp I can send you one I've used successfully.

Usually the problem is you can't get them far enough inward on fat seat tube bikes...

Mike748
07-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Seems kinda obvious, but I'd make sure they got the cable tension right... installed with the front shifter in the zero position.

Should be easy to tell if its a position/limit stop problem vs a derailleurs in the wrong position problem (or the crank) via manual over ride (i.e. grab the derailleur and move it).

RPS
07-13-2011, 10:20 PM
...snipped.....

The shop used a generic clamp-on adapter and found the derailleur wouldn't shift into the big chain ring. They adjusted the limit screw until it was just barley engaged and still couldn't get the shifting right.

....snipped....
Did they check to make sure cable was pulling the derailleur all the way to limit screw? Adjusting a limit screw doesn't ensure full travel. When in doubt I check by pulling on cable by hand to make sure derailleur is at limit screw.

palincss
07-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Mine is a clamp-on model rather than a braze-on, but I can tell you that the Campagnolo Racing T front derailleur on my Johnny Coast-built semi-custom Velo Orange Randonneur is the best shifting front derailleur I've ever used. My crank is a Shimano XTR M900 with 24/36/46 rings, used with a 103mm Dura Ace bottom bracket.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2011, 07:29 AM
I picked up a Velo-Orange rando frame a while back. It was at my LBS for a build and we ran into a spot of bother. (I guess I've been watching too much Tour coverage.)

Anyway, I'm doing a Campy 10 speed triple build: Chorus 53x42x30 crankset, Record 111mm BB, and a NOS, braze-on Racing Triple FD. The shop used a generic clamp-on adapter and found the derailleur wouldn't shift into the big chain ring. They adjusted the limit screw until it was just barley engaged and still couldn't get the shifting right.

So, do I try a different adapter?

Do I need a different FD? If so, do I need to find a Chorus triple FD?

All informed opinions welcome.

Thanks

That setup 'should' work.

Also as they attach the front der cable, push the LH lever thumb button down, make cable tight, then tighten bolt on FD. AND the inner limit screw, the FD should be such that it just gets the chain onto the small ring easily, but no farther in.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Well, capagnolo is not doing triple since long time ago but so far i know a regular 2000+ record should work just fine, we even tried once with a veloce 2009 shifters with a triple crankset and triple 9 FD i believe it was and worked fine

Maybe the problem u have is the set up of the shifters?? What shifters are u using? record 10 or something? What clamp are u using?

Campagnolo still makes triple components, called Comp..crank, FD, RD, BB, and compatible with 2011 Centaur/Veloce ERGO.

97CSI
07-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Just picked up my Campy Veloce triple (50/40/26 - mountian gears) with a 111mm Phil Wood BB and Racing Triple braze-on FD using an adapter equipped '87 Paramount this morning. Too busy futzing with other things and needed a new cable installed, so just handed over to my LBS. New cable and FD/RD adjustment was $22 plus tax. Just got back from my first ride in almost a year (new hip last Thanksgiving) and it works perfectly (both the bike and the hip). In fact, the driveline is about as quiet as I ever recall. Am using one of the faux carbon fiber looking clamps that is actually aluminum under the plastic cover. Couldn't be happier.

CNY rider
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Campagnolo still makes triple components, called Comp..crank, FD, RD, BB, and compatible with 2011 Centaur/Veloce ERGO.

How's the quality? What group do they resemble?

Mudbug
07-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I highly recommend that you use a Campy Racing T(riple) front derailleur.

dana_e
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Record 111mm BB????

Is it the track one, which is 111 symmetrical

or the record triple one

the Record triple bottom bracket is asymentrical

GuyGadois
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
How's the quality? What group do they resemble?

Check out the Campy website. It looks like Centaur quality, maybe Veloce.

Dave
07-14-2011, 05:43 PM
One of the most common mistakes with a Campy triple FD setup is failing to apply adequate cable tension. Pre-ultrashift levers require a total of 7 clicks to cover the full range of travel (but 12 are available). Shifting from the little ring to the middle ring require one full sweep of the finger lever - 5 clicks - followed by one click of the thumb button to recenter the cage and prevent chain rub.

If the cable tension is insufficient, it will require more than one sweep of the finger lever to shift from the little ring to the middle ring.

I've never used the new ultrashift levers with a triple crank, but the new levers only have 6 clicks. By my cable pull measurements, there is enough travel to operate a triple FD.

Record and Chorus triple cranks both use the same 111mm asymetrical BB, not the symetrical 111mm used by the lower level cranks.

sjbraun
07-15-2011, 07:49 AM
I forwarded my LBS the posts you guys sent. Here's how he responded:

I found out what the problem was. There must have been a burr of metal on the front derailleur, because (after re-checking the cable tension: fine) I tried to push the derailleur up into the big ring by activating it with my hand, not through the shifter/cable. With that additional force, I felt something give slightly and now it is working fine! It must have been a loose piece of metal left over from the machining process that just needed to get worked free, but was acting as a false high limit screw.

So I get to ride a new bike tomorrow. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thank you everyone

thwart
07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Enjoy it!

Triples are way under-rated right now.

Good to see Dave is still around, with his Campy engineering expertise.

dana_e
07-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Campy triples

best thing about them is the 42 middle ring

compacts and there 34 and 36 cogs puts me ina major cross gear on te flats

Ralph
07-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Enjoy it!

Triples are way under-rated right now.

I think so also. If you ride where one is useful, for your strength level, etc, etc, etc, ......I see no reason not to use one.

On the bike I call my daily rider and travel bike, and although it's mostly flat to rolling hills where I live, I'm always taking a Campy triple on and off, depending on where I'm traveling. I think I'll just leave it on next time. Mostly I use a 30-42-52, but have a bunch of other rings I can use also. I like the 42-52 for all around use, and how the chainline is, with a 30 granny kicker. Use a 13-26 or 13-29 in rear. Also like a 28-40-50 when it's real steep for long periods. I use the same Centaur 111 symetrical BB for both double or triple. By my postage scales, the triple adds about 40-50 grams over the square taper Centaur double that uses the same BB (for those that weigh everything like me).

Mike748
07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I think I weighed Record triple at 100g over Record double.

I ride triple primarily because my knees prefer the wider Q, but secondarily I love the 42. With 42-ish chainstays I can use the 42 across the whole cassette, which is usually perfect for my solo rides. For faster pace there's the big ring. For major hills the granny. Set up is easy and shifting is flawless.

Current two bikes are 02 & 04 Record triple. Upcoming Kirk will be 06 Chorus alloy triple. Recently sold DeSalvo was grey Centaur triple.

palincss
07-15-2011, 01:17 PM

With a compact, on the flats shouldn't you be in the big ring?

dana_e
07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
All the compact / triple debates talk about high end and low end, the extremes. Not the gears you use most of the time

Fixed gear guys talk about the magic 70 inch

13 x 34 =70.6

14 x 36 = 69.4

16 x 42 = 70.9

19 x 50 = 71.1

21 x 50 = 64.4

So basically on the flat I run about a 70 inch, with a compact I am in the 13, totally cross geared, unless I use an 11 something cogset

with a 36 it is a tad better,

with a 42 I am righ tin the middle of the cassette

running in the big ring all the time in the flat and using a 19 or 21, again cross geared, plsu the 50 dowsnot get me to magic 70 inch

Ken Robb
07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Campy triples

best thing about them is the 42 middle ring

9 speed Ultegra triple has 52-42-30 rings but Dura Ace is 52 or 53 big, 39 middle with 30 small.

The theory is a DA buyer is really a racer so the DA triple is like a 53-39 double with a bail-out granny. The Ultegra is for a recreational rider who will spend lots of time in the 42 ring. That is the case for me with my Ultegra.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM
9 speed Ultegra triple has 52-42-30 rings but Dura Ace is 52 or 53 big, 39 middle with 30 small.

The theory is a DA buyer is really a racer so the DA triple is like a 53-39 double with a bail-out granny. The Ultegra is for a recreational rider who will spend lots of time in the 42 ring. That is the case for me with my Ultegra.

Ultegra 10s is 52/39/30 as well(new FD, thanks shimano) and 5700 is 50/39/30.....