PDA

View Full Version : "Stop that damn noise" Campy RD Adjustment Question

jmeloy
07-13-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm sure this is a simple one but my Chorus 9 speed RD is making a bit of light "clattering" as I pedal. Time for me to figure out how to tweak things like this myself.... sounds as if chain is rubbing on upper pulley maybe. A rider behind me (not the norm!) said he thought the RD was a little out of line.

Past efforts with other issues have sometimes resulted in my making it worse. A little guidance would be VERY appreciated.

Spinz
07-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Barrel adjuster 1/4 turn in until the noise stops. Lp

oldpotatoe
07-14-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm sure this is a simple one but my Chorus 9 speed RD is making a bit of light "clattering" as I pedal. Time for me to figure out how to tweak things like this myself.... sounds as if chain is rubbing on upper pulley maybe. A rider behind me (not the norm!) said he thought the RD was a little out of line.

Past efforts with other issues have sometimes resulted in my making it worse. A little guidance would be VERY appreciated.

Lowest gear? Biggest cog? B limit screw....

jmeloy
07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
all gears, both rings....
barrel adjuster at rear of RD?

cincicycles
07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Check pulley/cassette alignment to make sure the limit screws are set up correctly. If it's all gears, the alignment may be off, which would effect all whole rear cluster regardless of what gear you are in.

Zenn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance is a great book. Easy read, good pics and it will pay for itself the first time you don't have to visit the shop.

Good luck!

Mike126
07-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I have had the same issue. The adjustments already discussed will work but it does take alot of patience to dial it in just right. I would adjust on the road with the chain under tension. What sounded fine on the stand was different on the road.

my 2 cents.....

bzbvh5
07-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I had a similar problem and it turned out that the campy barrel adjuster on the down tube was broken.

John M
07-14-2011, 01:21 PM
....... said he thought the RD was a little out of line.

?RD hanger alignment. Has the bike fallen onto the right side, crashed, etc.... Also check to make sure your cassette lockring is tight and that the cassette is not moving around.