PDA

View Full Version : Voeckler's C59: "Chicken on the seat tube"

fiamme red
07-13-2011, 06:38 PM
What's the significance of the "chicken"?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tour-de-france-tech-thomas-voecklers-colnago-c59

The C59 frame is custom for Voeckler: "It's a size 50 sloping but the top tube is one centimetre longer than our traditional frame," said Alessandro, who pointed to another of the bike's special features: "It's full yellow with a chicken on the seat tube."

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/07/13/1/dsc_0131_600.jpg

rustychisel
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
I would guess it's the cockerel of France (ie France's national symbol)

bike22
07-13-2011, 06:46 PM
http://www.gaulzetticicli.com/images/gaulzettichicken.jpg

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I love chicken. Parm, Kiev, Marsala, Salad, Grilled and the basic Cutlet (gutlet). Sorry, fella's, a little bored. Love Voeckler, we need personalities like him.

William
07-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Wiki Rooster....

"The popularity of the gallic rooster as a national personification faded away until its resurgence during the French Revolution (1789). The republican historiography completely modified the traditional perception of the origins of France. Until then, the royal historiography dated the origins of France back to the baptism of Clovis I in 496, the "first Christian king of France". The republicans rejected this royalist and Christian origin of the country and will trace back the origins of France to the ancient Gaul. Although purely apocryphal, the rooster became the personification of the early inhabitants of France, the Gauls.

The Gallic rooster, colloqually named Chanteclair, had been a national emblem ever since, especially during the Third French Republic. The rooster was featured on the reverse of French 20-franc gold pieces from 1899 to 1914. After World War I it was depicted on uncountable war memorials.

Today, it is often used as a national mascot, particularly in sporting events such as football (soccer) and rugby. The 1998 FIFA World Cup, hosted by France, adopted a rooster named Footix as mascot. The French national Australian rules football team in the 2008 Australian Football International Cup is known as the Coqs after le coq gaulois. Additionally, the France national rugby league team are known as the Chanteclairs referring to the cockerel's song.

The popularity of the symbol extends into business. Le Coq Sportif ("The sporty rooster"), is a French manufacturer of sports equipment using a stylized rooster and the colors of the French tricolour as its logo. Moreover, it is the logo of Pathé, a French-born, now international company of film production and distribution."

William

Dave B
07-13-2011, 07:02 PM
I dig that bike.

Ernesto himself looked it over

R2D2
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Voeckler may not win but the way he fought for the jersey in previous tours and timing to grab it this year sure shows he has a ton of panache...

William
07-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I have a home made Rooster in my kitchen...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Fixie%20wheels/IMG_9196.jpg

He certainly fights like one.

William

bozman
07-13-2011, 07:33 PM
what William said.

I love Voeckler. Paul and Phil seem to, too. Voeckler is a bike racer, pure and simple.

ultraman6970
07-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Maybe because he is french and like to be seated in something with a cock in it? :D

cmg
07-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Voeckler survived the crash with the tv camera car, he was glazed and didn't go down. He rides with guts and is an opportunist, great descender, and not afraid to do the work with the breakaway. he deserves the yellow jersey. the yellow colnago looks great. suspect they'll sell a bunch of them.

ultraman6970
07-13-2011, 09:44 PM
CMG, there are many riders like him in the peloton the problem is that they dont let them ACT that is different.

Happy for him tho, tomorrow we will how well he can really climb.

thinpin
07-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Le coq sportif!