PDA

View Full Version : Campy questions: calipers and 11spd chain

d_douglas
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Can anyone advise about the quality of the new new Centaur calipers? I notice that they have gone back to non-skeleton style (suggesting the unloading of unused old stock) but are these the equivalent to mid-2000s Campy calipers like Centaur, Chorus, Record? Are these a good cheap choice or should I track down old Campy calipers?

Secondly, if I am changing my 11spd Chorus group to another frameset, is it possible to salvage the chain once it has been peened? It is still in fine condition, so there is no need to replace just yet. Does KMC make a master link the you can use for such transitions?

Thanks for any advice......

Grant McLean
07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Can anyone advise about the quality of the new new Centaur calipers? I notice that they have gone back to non-skeleton style (suggesting the unloading of unused old stock) but are these the equivalent to mid-2000s Campy calipers like Centaur, Chorus, Record? Are these a good cheap choice or should I track down old Campy calipers?

Secondly, if I am changing my 11spd Chorus group to another frameset, is it possible to salvage the chain once it has been peened? It is still in fine condition, so there is no need to replace just yet. Does KMC make a master link the you can use for such transitions?

The current Centaur calipers are a new casting shape, not the same as the
pre-skeleton brakes from a few years ago.

All campag brakes work very well. In my experience, each new design
works just a little bit better than the previous version.

Forster superlink has an 11 speed model, but i'd get another chain,
some of the UK mail order sites have incredible deals. Campag also
sells a few links of chain with pins, but it's not a great value.

-g

Joachim
07-13-2011, 03:35 PM

I've used the IRD 11-speed link with my Record 11 chain, which I got from Vecchio's.

kramnnim
07-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I've been using a KMC link meant for 10sp Shimano and wouldn't know it's there...

fatallightning
07-13-2011, 09:35 PM
break the chain on a non master link and just use a new campy pin. 2 pins won't hurt.

i have the new veloce non skeleton calipers on one bike, seem to work fine. i have skeleton d's on another, and athena monoplanars and another, and they feel like a decent dual pivot. note that they take the new campy style pads, if you have carbon wheels. i usually just swap all my bikes to shimano holders to make my life easier.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2011, 07:42 AM

They are great brakes. Stiff, easy to set up, adjustable, inexpensive.

I have a 11s IRD link for 11s chains. $8

peter@vecchios.com

oldpotatoe
07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
break the chain on a non master link and just use a new campy pin. 2 pins won't hurt.

i have the new veloce non skeleton calipers on one bike, seem to work fine. i have skeleton d's on another, and athena monoplanars and another, and they feel like a decent dual pivot. note that they take the new campy style pads, if you have carbon wheels. i usually just swap all my bikes to shimano holders to make my life easier.

That's not a good idea. When you push a pin out, you deform the plate and even tho you add a new pin, the plate is not as strong as the new one in a new chain...why a Campagnolo 'link' is suggested to reassemble a 11s chain BUT IRD links, work well. The Craig/Forster link is noisy, IME.

Gothard
07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
No, no, no, no, no...
Douglas, you have 2 kids now. You don't need your 'nads any more. Rivet it back.

A chain does cost more than your plums anyway.... :D