PDA

View Full Version : Mastik'one

gauvink
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Cross season must be near because I cant seem to locate any tins of it. Does anyone know of a shop or otherwise with any ??

FastVegan
07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I second this. I would like 4 cans please :o

forrestw
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Y'all can have it, I dislike Mastik-1, it holds so firmly that it's prone to tearing base-tape imx. This was also found in a fairly exhaustive test of several different glues.

07-13-2011, 11:38 PM
What test?

forrestw
07-14-2011, 05:29 AM
What test?
www2.bsn.de/Cycling/articles/cements.html

oldpotatoe
07-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Cross season must be near because I cant seem to locate any tins of it. Does anyone know of a shop or otherwise with any ??

Use Panaracer, better glue. Yes, Vittoria is once again hard to find.

btulloch
07-14-2011, 11:44 AM
World Class Cycles has it listed, not sure if it's available.
http://www.worldclasscycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST&Store_Code=WCC

I haven't been able to find a can since March from any store or distributor

mister
07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Y'all can have it, I dislike Mastik-1, it holds so firmly that it's prone to tearing base-tape imx. This was also found in a fairly exhaustive test of several different glues.

i don't have problems tearing basetape
the right lever to pry the tire from the rim is all that's needed

phlash23
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Highway Two, the US Vittoria distributor, has had a hard time getting and/or keeping in stock certain items in the past couple months. Our local rep said it's because of global demand along with the Spring Classics and the tour. :rolleyes: Not sure how much I beleive that.
After a 3 month wait I finally got my Evo Corsa CX 23 tires Tuesday so hopefully things are starting to trickle in.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Highway Two, the US Vittoria distributor, has had a hard time getting and/or keeping in stock certain items in the past couple months. Our local rep said it's because of global demand along with the Spring Classics and the tour. :rolleyes: Not sure how much I beleive that.
After a 3 month wait I finally got my Evo Corsa CX 23 tires Tuesday so hopefully things are starting to trickle in.

Actually Bike Mine, Highway 2 is the Continental distributor.

phlash23
07-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Actually Bike Mine, Highway 2 is the Continental distributor.
and that's what I get for having a beer with lunch on my day off :beer:
Good catch.

forrestw
07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
i don't have problems tearing basetape
the right lever to pry the tire from the rim is all that's needed

Actually the problem with separation was that as tired went through inflate/deflate cycle the too-strong the bond from the Mastik1 would slowly tear the base later from the body of the tire. Of course the problem was worse if I used latex-tubed tires.

I don't think I was per-se over-gluing, 2 coats each on rim and tire, which is what I still do.

07-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Actually the problem with separation was that as tired went through inflate/deflate cycle the too-strong the bond from the Mastik1 would slowly tear the base later from the body of the tire. Of course the problem was worse if I used latex-tubed tires.

I don't think I was per-se over-gluing, 2 coats each on rim and tire, which is what I still do.

Actually, that study is horribly dated at this point. Tubular adhesives have completely changed their formulations to address volatile organic solvent content, and many/most tubulars on the market have changed their methods of base tape mounting and the adhesives used for it.

Further, the method that Howat used was to cut short sections of rim and apply sections of tubular to the rim with cement. This method didn't afford the same kind of structural support that a whole tire and a whole rim get, and the way they created any base tape separation was by a method that would do it with almost any adhesive that held the tire reasonably well. Short sections of tire with short sections of rim meant there were base tape ends that could detach where they wouldn't necessarily do so in practice on a full rim. There's always a big gap between this kind of testing and real life use models.

There's definitely no reason to go for the ultimate adhesiveness in a rim cement, or we'd all be using neoprene wetsuit cement or contact cement. However, any cement is a compromise of various attributes and the other cements were noticeably poorer in other attributes. Theoretically it's correct that lower adhesion to the rim causes less strain on the base tape, but in practice, with proper gluing and proper handling of tubulars, the only instances where one should have been seeing meaningful base tape separation was with some now outdated Conti tubulars that had chronic base tape separation with all cements, Conti included.

I have access to any of a wide range of potential rim cements -- Vittoria, Conti, Panasonic, Soyo, 3M Fast Tack, several wetsuit cements, various contact cements, etc., and can do fine with shellac. I haven't found a product that matched Vittoria Mastik One for road applications and haven't found one that outperformed Mastik One for track applications. The US teams say the same, as do most professional teams these days (subject to alternative sponsorships and sometimes despite them). I'd suggest any user learn to do a good job with Mastik One. It rewards a good installation with negligible risk of failure. As is usually the case, operator skill (and conversely, operator error) have more to do with how Mastik One performs than any attribute of the adhesive itself.