PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars

Germany_chris
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
First ride on tubulars, I'll never go back..170 in the back 125 in the front..perfect!!!

Louis
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
First ride on tubulars, I'll never go back..170 in the back 125 in the front..perfect!!!

PSI ? Wow.

How common is it to run such a massive pressure in the rear tire?

ultraman6970
07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Chriss be carefull, u cant put that much air to them. Even if it says i can handle it.

The problem is that they get too hard (and fast) that u can blow them even with a pebble.

Do 100/120 or 100 even, the ride will be smooth that way man. U want the tire to deform a tiny bit too u know.

Darn is raining heavily here! :/

oldguy00
07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Although you may not realize it, you will be going slower than you would if you only used, say, 120 in the back and 115 in the front. With the pressures you are running, your tires are bouncing (undetectably a lot of the time) over every imperfection, causing more resistance.
Not to mention you will experience a much rougher ride at those pressures!!!!
Definitely don't want to go for a PSA test after a ride on your wheels!! (thread segue)...

fiamme red
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
First ride on tubulars, I'll never go back..170 in the back 125 in the front..perfect!!!The roads must be as smooth as glass in Germany. :rolleyes:

oldguy00
07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
>>>I am the bane of the Serotta forum

I'm gonna take a guess and say he was joking about the tire pressure!

saab2000
07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
God Bless America Man!! :D That's way too much air!

firerescuefin
07-13-2011, 01:45 PM
>>>I am the bane of the Serotta forum

I'm gonna take a guess and say he was joking about the tire pressure!

My understanding from previous post is that G-Chris is a BIG dude....but yeah, that's a lot of pressure.

Germany_chris
07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Guys I'm 280...170 still gives me tire deflection..I pinch flat at 120 in 23's in the city thats the reason for the tubulars..the Stelvio says 205 so if figured I'm still pretty much in the safe zone.

SamIAm
07-13-2011, 02:17 PM

I got my first set of tubulars on the road 2 weeks ago. I was hoping for just such a sea change, but I'm not feelin it. Sure they are nice, but I just don't sense much of a difference, if any, between these and my goto clincher the Vittoria 320 Corsa. I went with some HED C2 rims and FMB's, tried to do it right, but maybe the roads are just too good around here to appreciate.

Germany_chris
07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I got my first set of tubulars on the road 2 weeks ago. I was hoping for just such a sea change, but I'm not feelin it. Sure they are nice, but I just don't sense much of a difference, if any, between these and my goto clincher the Vittoria 320 Corsa. I went with some HED C2 rims and FMB's, tried to do it right, but maybe the roads are just too good around here to appreciate.

I was looking for the over 200psi capabilities. I ride a B17 on all my bikes I really don't think I'd notice a more "supple" ride. Honestly I can't tell the difference from a comfort perspective the difference between my former CX bike with 35's and my road bikes.

palincss
07-13-2011, 02:24 PM
God Bless America Man!! :D That's way too much air!

I'll bet he won't be too comfortable with that much pressure. And as for "never going back," perhaps a prudent person might want to wait until they experience their first flat and fix it successfully before making so bold a claim as that.

Acotts
07-13-2011, 02:36 PM

yeah, i dont get it either. I think that makes us troglodytes.

...oh well. At least troglodytes are strong even if we aren't capable of appreciating some of the finer accoutraments seen 'round here.

Grant McLean
07-13-2011, 02:37 PM
I think the path to happiness with anyone's gear is to use what suits them.
In the long run, l'd think heavier riders would be more satisfied on larger
volume tires without having to resort to very high pressures.

The difference between the best clinchers and the best tubulars is far less
than the difference between the wrong tire and the right tire for the job.

-g

Germany_chris
07-13-2011, 02:54 PM
I think the path to happiness with anyone's gear is to use what suits them.
In the long run, l'd think heavier riders would be more satisfied on larger
volume tires without having to resort to very high pressures.

The difference between the best clinchers and the best tubulars is far less
than the difference between the wrong tire and the right tire for the job.

-g

28's are the best clinchers for me..high volume is good but you need to remember I'm basically 2 normal cyclists..I'be been through most clincher sizes looking for "right"

Palin..I've changed tubulars on the road that is precisely why I tried every clincher in every size with every casing TPI I could..it's not fun even a little..I can generally lever them off..it's been my experience that if you go too fast you tear the cloth base tape..My old man has always and will always ride tubulars. On a positive note I've had one flat in the last 2 years so hopefully I don't need to do it.

Grant McLean
07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
28's are the best clinchers for me..high volume is good but you need to remember I'm basically 2 normal cyclists..

New measurement for the big guys: the Samuel Dumoulin scale.
You're only about 2.3 Dumoulins!

-g

Germany_chris
07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
New measurement for the big guys: the Samuel Dumoulin scale.
You're only about 2.3 Dumoulins!

-g

I'll bet he climbs more then 2.3 times better than me. :beer:

Aaron O
07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Guys I'm 280...170 still gives me tire deflection..I pinch flat at 120 in 23's in the city thats the reason for the tubulars..the Stelvio says 205 so if figured I'm still pretty much in the safe zone.

Chris...that doesn't sound right to me. I'm big (though not that big) and the only flats I get at super high pressures are because, as others said, I hit something small and that much air is unforgiving. I don't pinch flat at anything over 80. At air pressures over 110, I've found the tube just looks for problems. It might not be pinch flats. Also...I'm astounded at how many times I've seen small rim tape imperfections cause flats, especially at high pressure.

I'm going to be riding my first bike with tubulars in MANY moons soon, and am looking forward to seeing the difference. Gomango and Zmudshark both suggested Veloflex Master 22s and I'm in heaven with them!

Germany_chris
07-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Chris...that doesn't sound right to me. I'm big (though not that big) and the only flats I get at super high pressures are because, as others said, I hit something small and that much air is unforgiving. I don't pinch flat at anything over 80. At air pressures over 110, I've found the tube just looks for problems. It might not be pinch flats. Also...I'm astounded at how many times I've seen small rim tape imperfections cause flats, especially at high pressure.

I'm going to be riding my first bike with tubulars in MANY moons soon, and am looking forward to seeing the difference. Gomango and Zmudshark both suggested Veloflex Master 22s and I'm in heaven with them!

I don't disagree with anything anyone has said here. I've taken the Jan Heine approach 15% tire drop..at 280 you can't get that on 23's period. You can get a bit closer on 25's but not there. On 28's I probably could but they tend to max at 100ish and don't fit every frame.

If I start flatting alot or more we'll go back to the drawing board.

at 170psi I can still actually see the tire squish but not the scary squish you get with 120 in 23's..

If you've ever ridden a mountain bike with the tires at low pressure you get that loose slimey feeling around when turning thats the feeling I get on a vast majority of tires...that feeling wasn't there today stiff and responsive is was back there.
slimey

palincss
07-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Palin..I've changed tubulars on the road that is precisely why I tried every clincher in every size with every casing TPI I could..it's not fun even a little..I can generally lever them off..it's been my experience that if you go too fast you tear the cloth base tape..My old man has always and will always ride tubulars. On a positive note I've had one flat in the last 2 years so hopefully I don't need to do it.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the fun you have changing a tubular, I was talking about what's involved in actually patching the tube and repairing the tire. I imagine your father can help you learn that. As for hopefully "not needing" to fix flats, dream on. Sooner or later, everyone flats. It is your destiny, Luke.

Aaron O
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh, I wasn't talking about the fun you have changing a tubular, I was talking about what's involved in actually patching the tube and repairing the tire. I imagine your father can help you learn that. As for hopefully "not needing" to fix flats, dream on. Sooner or later, everyone flats. It is your destiny, Luke.

This is extremely funny to me because the tubular vs. clincher debate came up on Bikeforums and a member there said, self righteously, that he NEVER flats because he looks out for glass.

Obviously I've been an incompetent rider my entire life...because I get flats.

Grant McLean
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
This is extremely funny to me because the tubular vs. clincher debate came up on Bikeforums and a member there said, self righteously, that he NEVER flats because he looks out for glass.

Obviously I've been an incompetent rider my entire life...because I get flats.

Self righteousness aside... it does seem true that some people are more
aware of what they ride over than others. I think it does go part way to
explain why some folks get more flats than others. The other big part
of course being luck.

I got my first flat in years last weekend. When i got to inspect it,
it became obvious the rim strip was the problem. At least Tubs don't
have that problem... so by the way, the new Vittoria rim strips are crap.
They are too flexible, and wander off centre of the channel of the rim,
exposing the spoke holes... back to my adhesive type strip which has
never failed me.

-g

ultraman6970
07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I agree with aaron. This happened to me when i was 15, went over 3 pairs of tubulars in 1 month, we thought was bad luck but then an older friend figured it out when he saw me putting air to them, too much preasure. And I was like 120 pounds man... my dad almost killed me. As aaron says... 80 to 90 is ok. 120 is just like ok for racing maybe but for funny riding just 80 to 100 is just like ok.

Tubulars structure is harder than a clincher anyways but if you put too much air it will be like a balloon waiting for a pebble to get boom! As i said before... that the tubular says it can stand 200 pounds of air pressure doesn't mean that U have to put just that because for sure will blow up at some point.

Good luck man :)

Aaron O
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Self righteousness aside... it does seem true that some people are more
aware of what they ride over than others. I think it does go part way to
explain why some folks get more flats than others. The other big part
of course being luck.

I got my first flat in years last weekend. When i got to inspect it,
it became obvious the rim strip was the problem. At least Tubs don't
have that problem... so by the way, the new Vittoria rim strips are crap.
They are too flexible, and wander off centre of the channel of the rim,
exposing the spoke holes... back to my adhesive type strip which has
never failed me.

-g

No doubt...but his claim was that he NEVER flats and people who do are incompetent. I'm sorry, but I live in Philadelphia and don't want to ride dead armadillos. I get flats now and then.

I'm also hardly new to city riding, commuting, etc.

Germany_chris
07-14-2011, 06:02 AM

That is something I've never done..I guess it's like anything else it'll take practice...

I never said I didn't flat just not often..

For those that don't know here it's required by law tha home and business owners keep the side walks and streets in front front of there home/business clean (swept). In the winter we are responsible for clearing snow on the sidewalk the enitre length of the property and using salt is generally frowned upon unless there is ice.

anyway these might be the reasons I flat less here than when I lived in Hawaii..there a week didn't go by with out a flat on both my road and mountain bike.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Never flat? Nonsense. But, some flat more than others, regardless of weight. I'm no lightweight, but, "floating" (something that was a must in the days of rigid fork MTB's) over most road imperfections, and being somewhat aware of what's in the road does help. My tubular cherry is still intact, for now.

Mudbug
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I love tubulars. The highest pressure I've run was on Conti Sprints, 150 lbs. They felt rock hard. Usually i run around 110 - 120 except for a set of Clements Paris-Roubaix which are fat. Those I run at 105 lbs.

Germany_chris
07-14-2011, 03:42 PM
I've deflated to 140 (rear) today...softer but I don't know if I like it better...Monday will be the cobble ride..I'll play with pressures more then..

Grant McLean
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
I've deflated to 140 (rear) today...softer but I don't know if I like it better...Monday will be the cobble ride..I'll play with pressures more then..

Have you tried any wider tubular tires?
You seem like the perfect candidate for Vittoria Pave 27mm tires,
both for the volume and for the cobbles.

-g

Germany_chris
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Have you tried any wider tubular tires?
You seem like the perfect candidate for Vittoria Pave 27mm tires,
both for the volume and for the cobbles.

-g

I am a candidate for a 27 tubular..but their not cheap..I didn't want tubular practice on 100+ dollar tires..when the snow fly's I'll start looking for some bigger tires.

redir
07-14-2011, 04:39 PM

What kind of tires? I ask because cheap tubes do not give you the quality ride feel. You should be able to feel a noticeable difference in road chatter from hitting small bumps and also in high speed cornering.

redir
07-14-2011, 04:43 PM
As for flats, I don't repair them anymore, unless it's a simple fix. If the tread is still good I throw them in my repair box and when the count gets high enough I ship them to a guy in Florida who does repairs for like $12 bucks includes new tube and base tape.

firerescuefin
07-14-2011, 04:53 PM
What kind of tires? I ask because cheap tubes do not give you the quality ride feel. You should be able to feel a noticeable difference in road chatter from hitting small bumps and also in high speed cornering.

This is always a debate that mystifies me a bit...as I just finished gluing some Conti Competitions and have ridden high end Vittorias, Tufos, etc...PR3s feel pretty dam good to me and I carry more speed than most through corners. I am never longing for a tubular when on them...and I like tubulars.

Have you recently ridden a newer high end clincher?