PDA

View Full Version : This week's ride pictures

HenryA
07-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm in Crested Butte and its raining a lot but I'm still getting in some great riding. Here's my Serotta TiMax at trailside on the new Lupine Trail.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=83499&stc=1 (http://)

Kirk Pacenti
07-12-2011, 09:06 PM
looks like fun.

we need better pics of that bike!

cheers,

KP

oliver1850
07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the pic. More incentive to get the TMaX built.

thinpin
07-13-2011, 12:02 AM
So are these dedicated MTN bike trails or shared with walkers? What standard skills are required? Looks beautiful.

HenryA
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Another from CB.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=83507&stc=1

HenryA
07-13-2011, 09:49 AM
So are these dedicated MTN bike trails or shared with walkers? What standard skills are required? Looks beautiful.

Many trails are open to hiking, biking and horses. Only the closest to town and easiest are anything like crowded and then not very crowded or often. There are so many trails that there is plenty of room for everyone. There seems to be no conflict between users that I've seen.

If you've ridden off road some there are trails here that will be easy and enjoyable to ride. The better your skills and fitness the more trails that will be available to you. There are trails here hard enough to suit anyone of any skill or fitness level. Perhaps the most challenging part of riding here is the elevation - you start at about 9,000 feet and go up as high as 12,000.

andeww
07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
very nice scenery, im sorry where is this?

thinpin
07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Perhaps the most challenging part of riding here is the elevation - you start at about 9,000 feet and go up as high as 12,000.
Great. Altitude training!

oliver1850
07-13-2011, 10:19 PM
very nice scenery, im sorry where is this?

Crested Butte is in west central Colorado. Between Colorado Springs and Grand Junction, but closer to Grand Junction.

HenryA
07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Tuesday was very rainy in Crested Butte so we went down to Hartman Rocks just outside of Gunnison, about 30 miles south and much lower elevation, about 7500 feet. Loads of nice single track but somehow no pictures of that! We must have been busy riding. Here are a couple showing the terrain.

HenryA
07-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Wednesday I went up to Schofield Pass to ride the 401 trail. Its too early this season as there is still a lot of snow at the top but I gave it a shot anyway. Near the top of the road is a huge snow slide that I had to climb over with the bike. Beyond there, past the lake and where the trail leaves the road, lay about a mile of grueling hike-a-bike with much climbing over snow drifts to get to the top. Once up high it was worth the struggle. Still, this place might be best enjoyed in August - it was a lot of work to get there.

HenryA
07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Here's the view looking down toward Gothic as you start the descent from the top. Absolutely magnificent. A little farther on, the trail sidehills across the face of the mountain and it becomes a bit sketchy at places. Just down the trail after this last picture I managed a big face plant and almost slid off the mountain. Knocked me silly for a while but I got up and back on the bike while the adrenalin was still flowing. It was a long trip down the mountain. Today I have a black eye, some chipped teeth and a very stiff neck. It was an epic ride.
:banana:

on edit: I cracked my helmet too!

redir
07-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Beautiful! I've only ever seen Crested Butte with at lest 5ft snow coverage :) I'd love to ride there must be great.