PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Cable Ends

Spinz
07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
What kind of solder and flux is needed to solder stainless cable ends? I think it looks professional and much better than the crimp-ons. Lp

AngryScientist
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
ahh, one of my favorite activities.

personally i use a small mapp gas torch, get the cable end nice and hot and use very thin gauge flux core solder wire. but it in the plumbing section, works like a charm.

aosty
07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
angry: Do you add any additional flux or just depend on the flux core?

Bob Loblaw
07-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Far as I know you don't need flux. I use garden variety, multi-purpose solder and a soldering iron. Heat the cable end with the tip of the iron, apply solder and spread evenly. I usually do the last inch of the cable.

BL

AngryScientist
07-12-2011, 08:34 PM
angry: Do you add any additional flux or just depend on the flux core?

no additional flux needed with the flux core wire.

staggerwing
07-12-2011, 09:20 PM
For real? Standard plumbing solder shouldn't "stick" to stainless. It used to be tin and lead, but today, it is mainly tin with a smidgen of silver (5%) and perhaps a tiny bit of copper. I will have to try it, but I'm surprised it works.

On the other hand, I have used high silver content solder (Harris Safety-Silv 56) and the Stay-Silv black flux to excellent effect, but these won't be found at your local hardware store.

FWIW, haven't called in several years, but last time I rang up Harris I was quickly talking to a metallurgical engineer that quickly and thoroughly answered my questions.

PS: If you've never played with it, silver solder is magic. Never realized so many metals, including all varieties of stainless, could be joined so readily, without resorting to TIG.

Bob Loblaw
07-12-2011, 09:29 PM
For real? Standard plumbing solder shouldn't "stick" to stainless. It used to be tin and lead, but today, it is mainly tin with a smidgen of silver (5%) and perhaps a tiny bit of copper. I will have to try it, but I'm surprised it works.

Yep. It sounds like you're more knowledgable than I am, but I have done it on many bikes with all sorts of cables. One of my road rigs has stainless cables soldered with plain old solder, and there's no fraying after many months and many miles.

It may be a case of making it work because I didn't know I couldn't.

BL

cat6
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
do you guys have pictures? i figure it would just look like a snipped brake cable with some solder on the end...i'm not doubting, just curious.

i've dipped my end cables in gorilla glue w/successful results but ultimately decided i like the crimps...anodized colors when i get bored.

dschlichting
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Yep. It sounds like you're more knowledgable than I am, but I have done it on many bikes with all sorts of cables. One of my road rigs has stainless cables soldered with plain old solder, and there's no fraying after many months and many miles.

It may be a case of making it work because I didn't know I couldn't.

BL
Same here. I've used acid core and rosin core at one point or another and both have worked fine. File smooth so cables can be removed at will for servicing and no problem.
On recent visit to LBS, manager asked if I wanted some of those crimp on cable ends. "No, they're soldered," I said. He replied, "So you're the Last Solderer . . ." Glad to see from this thread that I'm not!

crankles
07-12-2011, 10:27 PM
i use a mini butane torch and whatever solder i happen to have on hand, although i like silver the best.

thinpin
07-12-2011, 11:58 PM
While the solder sounds a neat job I use a touch of superglue on each cable end to stop them fraying. Makes life easier when removing cables for what ever reason. Point the cable end up. Splay the cable end just a touch then run the glue in and re-twist into shape. Wipe the excess of and let dry.

Louis
07-13-2011, 12:38 AM
I've thought of doing this, but all that added weight convinced me no to. ;)

biker72
07-13-2011, 05:44 AM

My experience also. I wonder if bike cables are some sort of lower grade stainless. I too have used silver solder on many stainless parts back when I was still working full time at my old job.

oldpotatoe
07-13-2011, 07:31 AM
What kind of solder and flux is needed to solder stainless cable ends? I think it looks professional and much better than the crimp-ons. Lp

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/bikes-and-tech/tour-de-france-pro-bike-sylvain-chavanels-eddy-merckx-emx-5_182425/attachment/notinings-perfect

Pros at the TdF

wasfast
07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
As far as cleanly preventing fraying, superglue is far easier than soldering. I've soldered cables in the (many) years gone by but the heat, worrying about splatter getting on the frame/paint, materials (cable and solder) working properly together. Not worth it to me anymore.

Cosmetically, I don't care for the crimped aluminum ends but they do provide some safety protection from stabbing. The FD cable is the biggest offender for that. Personal preference in the end (pun intended)

Bytesiz
07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
My preferred method is to put a centimeter length of heat shrink tubing on the end. You can even get different colors if that is your sort of thing. I like that I can easily remove it without messing up the cable if needed.

tv_vt
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
What do you use to 'shrink' the heat-shrink stuff? Does it come in colors or different diameters? Where do you get it?

Thanks

JeffS
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
I dip the ends of my cables in my wife's fingernail polish. Don't tell her.

Bytesiz
07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
What do you use to 'shrink' the heat-shrink stuff? Does it come in colors or different diameters? Where do you get it?

Thanks

I use a heat gun on the low setting, but a hairdryer works fine.

It comes in lots of sizes and many colors. You can sometimes find it at Lowes or Home Depot, but they don't always have the smaller diameters and you are ususally stuck with black as the color.

Places that have electronic part supplies like Radioshack shoud have options as well as your local autoparts stores.

pavel
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
My preferred method is to put a centimeter length of heat shrink tubing on the end. You can even get different colors if that is your sort of thing. I like that I can easily remove it without messing up the cable if needed.

I had a customer come into my shop who used shrink tubing to wrap the length of shifter wire that runs along the down tube and I thought it was the greatest thing ever, but I still prefer soldering the cable ends.

Bytesiz
07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I had a customer come into my shop who used shrink tubing to wrap the length of shifter wire that runs along the down tube and I thought it was the greatest thing ever, but I still prefer soldering the cable ends.

Hmmm... to prevent the cable slapping the downtube I suppose?

I've tried the soldering, but never got it to stick, so my heat shrink tubing method has prevailed.

pavel
07-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Yep, to to prevent slap or rub, and a more permanent solution than those super thin cable liners.

wasfast
07-13-2011, 07:57 PM
You can also use a lighter, making sure not to burn the heatshrink. Keep moving the flame:-)