PDA

View Full Version : OT: Biopsy

beungood
07-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Didn't. Get the news I wanted. My Doc recommended a Biopsy after my PSA number doubling from .5 to 1.6 from last year. IS this the usual thing to do? How painful is it? Some have told me it hurts others say its discomfort due to the camera more than the needle. I was prescribed 2 valuim 1 for an hour before surgey and 1 extra just in case. JUST IN CASE OF WHAT!!

Pete Serotta
07-12-2011, 07:31 PM
eyebrow is sensitive but not real real painful with first shot which will deaden it for biopsy. Much better to test now than later. Everyone experiences it differently. It is no more painful than a heavy crash on bike.

Hope for the best on results and DO NOT WORRY about the actions to do biopsy the "discomfort passes....Take it from a guy older than dirt PETE. :beer:

oldguy00
07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Didn't. Get the news I wanted. My Doc recommended a Biopsy eyebrow my PSA number doubling from .5 to 1.6 from last year. IS this the usual thing to do? How painful is it? Some have told me it hurts others say its discomfort due to the camera more than the needle. I was prescribed 2 valuing, 1 for before and.an extra just in case. JUST IN CASE OF WHAT!!

I feel stupid, but.....what do you mean by 'eyebrow'? As in literally? What does PSA (prostate specific antigen) have to do with eyebrow?

Jack Brunk
07-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Jacko,

I think you need a second opinon. Your values are still within the norm. PM bob the nailor. I believe He's a urologist.

jimcav
07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
not my area, but I know recent research suggests NOT using PSA velocity to drive biopsy. Your doctor may not be keeping up with current research:
http://www.cancer.gov/ncicancerbulletin/030811/page5

best of luck.

jim

gasman
07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
I agree to get another opinion. Your PSA value is not high and while your PSA velocity is a bit high that in itself is not a reason for a biopsy from my understanding.

2LeftCleats
07-13-2011, 06:04 AM
You, unfortunately, have been caught up in the controversy of PSA testing. No one really knows how to deal with PSA levels, though many have strong opinions. It's an imperfect test and the velocity is an attempt to make it more perfect, but there's no consensus. There's an ongoing debate about whether to test, whom to test, and how to respond to the results.

Best wishes and agree a second opinion is very reasonable.

MattTuck
07-13-2011, 06:24 AM
I agree with getting a second opinion.

As I understand it, the 'watch and wait' approach is the current best practice.

William
07-13-2011, 06:55 AM
It can't hurt any worse then some of our training sessions Bro. ;) Good advice on the second opinions. Best of luck and keep me informed brother.

See you at the Ramble.

William

tuscanyswe
07-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Just having sex can cause psa to rise. Id get a 2nd test and a 2nd opinon if i were you.

oldguy00
07-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Just having sex can cause psa to rise. Id get a 2nd test and a 2nd opinon if i were you.

As can riding a bike! (seriously)

tuscanyswe
07-13-2011, 07:33 AM

I believe ya i was actually thinking of typing " and so can probably riding a bike" but that would have been speculating on my part so i left it out but it makes sense.

Jeff Weir
07-13-2011, 08:51 AM
My doc told me to stay off the bike for 2 weeks before having a psa test.

dschlichting
07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I've ridden ~3,000 miles/yr for last 30 or so years and PSA over the years since PCP starting doing it was in the 1.something - 2.0 range. Last year, at age 57, it was 5.3 after 3.6 year prior. Even then, local urologist and world famous cancer center did not recommend biopsy until a second reading one month later. Next month, 4.9, so biopsy time. (NOT pleasant. Really, really not pleasant) Urologist knew of my cycling and did not have any issue. Only issue for him was that with any reading over 2.0, alarm bells should ring, in his opinion. End result: robotic prostatectomy and 5 weeks off the bike. Cancer did not penetrate the capsule, so out clean with no further issues.

oldguy00
07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
....Cancer did penetrate the capsule, so out clean with no further issues.

You mean 'did not penetrate'?
Good to hear. My father just went through a nasty year long battle with it, and knock on wood, is doing OK at the moment. He was T3B, Gleason 9 & 10.
His PSA never went that high, which I guess is not that uncommon for the higher gleason scores. The thing that made the experience bad for him was that by the time they caught it, his prostate had grown to 3 times normal size, and that volume was causing all sorts of very unpleasant side effects, before and during treatment (ADT, IMRT & taxotere).

biker72
07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Ride or don't ride..at age 73 my PSA has never been over 1.0. Normally in the 0.6-0.9 range.

Spinz
07-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Oldguy is right on. Cyclist have much higher PSA values. Stay off the bike 4-6 weeks, allow the gland to heal and have your MD order a repeat PSA. Lp

rickbb
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I guess this thread is about a prostate biopsy, haven't worked out the eyebrow part, yet.
I had a prostate biopsy last year after a DRE raised some concerns. I can't express how fearful I was going into the procedure but it ended out not being bad. Not much worse than having dentist do a filling. It was negative.
Like so many of these things, the worst part is in the waiting room.
Good luck!

67-59
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
I guess this thread is about a prostate biopsy, haven't worked out the eyebrow part, yet.

The only thing that occurs to me is that the OP needs a new doctor if a PSA test result causes him to look at OP's eyebrows....

MadRocketSci
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Just a PSA, as in public service announcement...

In case of diagnosis, ask your Urologist/Oncologist about Provenge. It is an immunotherapy that basically activates your immune system to fight the disease. Side effect profile is much more benign (as in temporary flu-like symptoms typically) than Taxotere. FDA approved last year.

Full disclosure: I am a Dendreon (maker of Provenge) shareholder. However, I wouldn't be in it if I didn't believe in the product. And if I ever get the diagnosis, it will be my first line of treatment, even if off-label for early stage disease (ie i have to pay). Currently on-label only for late stage disease.

If this is an inappropriate post, please delete.

Don49
07-13-2011, 01:16 PM

I thinking the "eyebrow" part is an eyebrow Smilie that didn't work.

RPS
07-13-2011, 01:19 PM
I thought not having enough sex was the bigger problem. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it appears not having sex frequently enough can cause prostate infection, which can then alter PSA readings.

If you have a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test when you have a prostate infection, your PSA levels may be abnormally high. While high levels of PSA in your blood can be a sign of prostate cancer, a prostate infection can dramatically increase your PSA levels even when you're cancer-free. Prostate infections don't increase your risk of prostate cancer.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prostate-infection/AN00931

P.S. -- Obviously you'd expect a urologist to have checked for infection, so my comment above was only meant to address the sex angle, not to question his physician's recommendation.

Personally, I'd get a second opinion or a second test.

oldguy00
07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Urinary tract infections as well.

Not sure about the too little sex thing, had never heard that could cause issues, but hell, sounds like a good line to give the wife. :)
Ever since my father was diagnosed with the high grade cancer, my doc has me check my PSA twice per year (I'm 38)... I seem to be around 1.1.

67-59
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
I love it. "But honey, you don't want me to get prostate cancer, do you"?

:beer:

beungood
07-13-2011, 02:03 PM
eyebrow is sensitive but not real real painful with first shot which will deaden it for biopsy. Much better to test now than later. Everyone experiences it differently. It is no more painful than a heavy crash on bike.

Hope for the best on results and DO NOT WORRY about the actions to do hbiopsy the "discomfort passes....Take it from a guy older than dirt PETE. :beer:
I don't know how this auto spell threw in eyebrow! I meant biopsy for psa levels in my prostate...

beungood
07-13-2011, 02:11 PM
The Recommending Dr re tested my blood from my original bloodtest that sent me to the Urologist in the first place. She had me stop cycling , motorcycling and sex from july 3 to 11the and had new blood drawn. She said that im 47 and my psa doubling from a point 5 to 1.5 indicates a biopsy is needed... I always thought it was when it was higher than 4.0

RPS
07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Not sure about the too little sex thing, had never heard that could cause issues, but hell, sounds like a good line to give the wife. :)

Information came directly from urologist. Ask him or her on your next visit, although you're probably too young to visit them regularly.

As I recall Dr. Oz had a short segment in his TV show on that issue too. It's fairly new information. Kind of the old "use it or lose it" but with greater consequences than muscle mass. :crap:

RPS
07-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I love it. "But honey, you don't want me to get prostate cancer, do you"?

:beer:
Infections, not cancer. As stated above infections don't appear to increase chance of getting cancer.

beungood
07-13-2011, 03:24 PM
The only thing that occurs to me is that the OP needs a new doctor if a PSA test result causes him to look at OP's eyebrows....
Lol I didn't think I could laugh at anything connected with this situation..

malcolm
07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
too little sex can cause prostatosis not really an infection but inflammation and will cause the psa to rise. PSA is not specific for cancer only irritation of the prostate. As far as the wife goes she may suggest you take care of it manually

palincss
07-13-2011, 04:07 PM
And let's not forget, all elevated PSA is not due to cancer; BPH is also a big player here.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001419/

Don49
07-13-2011, 05:11 PM
She had me stop cycling , motorcycling and sex from july 3 to 11
Wow. At least you still had smoking and drinking to fallback on. :)

oldguy00
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
The Recommending Dr re tested my blood from my original bloodtest that sent me to the Urologist in the first place. She had me stop cycling , motorcycling and sex from july 3 to 11the and had new blood drawn. She said that im 47 and my psa doubling from a point 5 to 1.5 indicates a biopsy is needed... I always thought it was when it was higher than 4.0

Nope, they often look at 'velocity' (or 'doubling time'). An increase from .5 to 1.5 indicates something is going on down there.....could be infection, could be you got kicked in the groin, could be lots of stuff, not necessarily cancer. But probably a good idea to get it checked out, as you want to catch prostate cancer before it leaves the prostate.

beungood
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Wow. At least you still had smoking and drinking to fallback on. :)
Didn't seem to help my situation much!

beungood
07-16-2011, 10:53 PM
You guys rock! Everything I've read since my bad news jives.with your advice. Bumped into a friend today who just finished going through what I am starting. His brother is a surgeon and told him not to get a biopsy without a second op. He was.also told the first Doctor is considered a "Cowboy" who will biopsy anyone. His second Dr at Brigham and Woman's hospital had him stop everything a month and as it turned out everything is fine...

dschlichting
07-17-2011, 08:49 PM
When I was on medical leave from prostate cancer surgery last summer, I got a call from a colleague wo had just gotten a PSA reading of 7.0. All in a tizzy, panic, etc. Immediate biopsy. Nothing. PSA a few months later: 1.something. We joke today wondering if that guy with the 7.0 ever got treatment . . .