PDA

View Full Version : Tubular tires

shankldu
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
So i just purchased an older road bike and ,went to remove the rear tire do to an egg bulging out and its glued on! anyway what do you guys think positives and negatives. I will say the ride is more comfortable but what do you do when your 10miles from home and get a flat. Also has anyone used the gluing tape seems a lot less work than an old school install.

steven.k.davis@
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I still use tubular tires on my 1980's racing bike mainly because I still have lots of wheels sets and I wanted to maintain its look. When you get a flat, you need to pull off the tire and replace it with a spare tubular tire. If properly prepped, the replacement tire should have some tackiness on it so that it sticks a little bit on the rim. The rim may also have some remaining tackiness to it. Inflating the replacement tire will secure the tire to the rim for easy riding home. You shouldn't attempt to ride the tire hard or corner aggressively at speed. The tire could roll off. When you get home, you can pull the replacement tire off and do a proper glue job to get your wheel ready for hard riding. Your punctured tire can be repaired (check the internet for instructions) but I usually threw those tires away. Bottom-line, always carry a spare tire. For my newer bikes (two Serotta's), I favor clinchers because of their improved ride quality over the years and ease in roadside repair. I recently became a convert with Tufo tape. I have found it much easier to work with and you don't get glue all over the place. I don't race anymore, but I ride hard and never had a problem with the tire wanting to come off.

djg
07-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Sounds as if the tire could blow. What you do if you get a flat 10 miles from home is the same thing you do when you get a flat 25 miles from home . . . but you knew that.

Honestly, if I see an embolism in the tire wall, I pull the tire. Why wait?

shankldu
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
yea i m going to i just dont happen to have any i have never riddin them