PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wood 120 asymmetrical track hub? (wheelbuilding help)

DRZRM
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
OK, as many of you know based on my annoying questions about building my first wheels for my fixed commuter, I was planning on building my first set of wheels, which seemed reasonable based on the symmetrical nature of Phil Wood track hubs which allowed me equal spoke lengths and tension in my rear wheel.

Well I just pulled my rear wheel from my old frame (cheap Bianchi Pista that I'd up-graded the wheels on), and my rear is distinctly dished. So I pulled my calipers and the external flange measurement is 7.5 cm., the drive side is 3 cm. from outside of flange to dropout and the non-drive side is 1.5 cm. (so at least I was right about it being a 120). It's an old hub that I picked up cheap from a friend and it has served me well enough, it is serviceable with an 8mm allen wrench, so I know it is newer than 1991, but besides that it was sitting around a friends shop and most of its wear is from banging around a tool box for a decade. It's been laced to a Velocity Deep V since 2005 (lime green, oh the horror :eek: ) and has served me well. It was built up by a show in Cambridge. Now I want all silver wheels for a "tasteful" new build, rather than the beat up green Deep V rear, Mavic Reflex front combo I've been running (at least the hubs match).

I can't find any information about an asymmetrical Phil Wood high flange track hub (single sided, fixed cog only). Any new words of wisdom for the build? What measurements exactly do I need to put into a spoke length calculator to figure out what I need to build this with Mavic Open Pro rims? Should I sell the rear wheel as build to a local hipster on CL and buy a new Phil hub?

Thanks,

Zach

EricEstlund
07-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Phil Hub Dimensions (http://www.philwood.com/philpdfs/wheelbuilding_break.pdf) are listed on their site.

DRZRM
07-12-2011, 07:14 AM
So I guess I just misunderstood, only the double sided hubs are symmetrical? That measurement from their page (Hub AVH421 has hub center to flange of 42.5/29.0) is all I need to plug into a spoke length calculator? One more dumb question, how do I work out tension? I'm sure this is an easy question, sorry, it's my first time.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2011, 07:54 AM
OK, as many of you know based on my annoying questions about building my first wheels for my fixed commuter, I was planning on building my first set of wheels, which seemed reasonable based on the symmetrical nature of Phil Wood track hubs which allowed me equal spoke lengths and tension in my rear wheel.

Well I just pulled my rear wheel from my old frame (cheap Bianchi Pista that I'd up-graded the wheels on), and my rear is distinctly dished. So I pulled my calipers and the external flange measurement is 7.5 cm., the drive side is 3 cm. from outside of flange to dropout and the non-drive side is 1.5 cm. (so at least I was right about it being a 120). It's an old hub that I picked up cheap from a friend and it has served me well enough, it is serviceable with an 8mm allen wrench, so I know it is newer than 1991, but besides that it was sitting around a friends shop and most of its wear is from banging around a tool box for a decade. It's been laced to a Velocity Deep V since 2005 (lime green, oh the horror :eek: ) and has served me well. It was built up by a show in Cambridge. Now I want all silver wheels for a "tasteful" new build, rather than the beat up green Deep V rear, Mavic Reflex front combo I've been running (at least the hubs match).

I can't find any information about an asymmetrical Phil Wood high flange track hub (single sided, fixed cog only). Any new words of wisdom for the build? What measurements exactly do I need to put into a spoke length calculator to figure out what I need to build this with Mavic Open Pro rims? Should I sell the rear wheel as build to a local hipster on CL and buy a new Phil hub?

Thanks,

Zach

Measure flange diameter, center to flange right side, left side, rim ERD, number of spokes and lacing(like 3 cross) and that will determine spoke length. Probably 1 mm longer on the LH side than the right.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
So I guess I just misunderstood, only the double sided hubs are symmetrical? That measurement from their page (Hub AVH421 has hub center to flange of 42.5/29.0) is all I need to plug into a spoke length calculator? One more dumb question, how do I work out tension? I'm sure this is an easy question, sorry, it's my first time.

100 kgf on the right hand side, the left will take care of itself as long as the wheel is round, dished and the RH tension is proper.

DRZRM
07-12-2011, 01:55 PM
So if a spoke calculator offeres up rear wheel spokes as:

Spoke length left: 293.2
Spoke length right: 291.6

Do I round up to 292 and down to 293 (the front will use 292 on both sides)?

Gummee
07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Most of the wheels I've built with Open Pros have been 292/294 with 294 on the front as well. Sounds like this *should* be the case here too.

Ask someone who's more experienced with Phil hubs to verify that.

M