PDA

View Full Version : ergo rattle

AngryScientist
07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
so, seeking ideas:

my lefthand veloce ergo shifter (new hood style) has an annoying rattle when i use the brake lever. the source of the rattle is the little plastic spacer thingy that secures the brake quick release pin in place. since the pin is resting against the body, placing tension on the plastic thingy when the lever is released, it is silent. when you apply the front brake, that little plastic thingy is a bit loose and rattles surprisingly loudly.

i'm thinking of just applying a glob of grease in there. anyone else have this happen?

rustychain
07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I have always found the real issue to be cable related. Cable tension to low or the cable is binding. Could be caliper related however. Sometimes if you have a weak return spring or the brake is not fully free to function. Once I had a rattle and was about to change cables when I noticed the brake quick release was open.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Agree. Had something similar happen, turned out to be a ever so slightly loose brake pad. I have always found the real issue to be cable related. Cable tension to low or the cable is binding. Could be caliper related however. Sometimes if you have a weak return spring or the brake is not fully free to function. Once I had a rattle and was about to change cables when I noticed the brake quick release was open.

AngryScientist
07-11-2011, 11:53 AM
thanks for the thoughts, its not cable tension though, the rattle occurs because of a little plastic bushing on the brake qr pin, and only occurs when the pin has no tension on it becuase it isnt resting against the ergo body.

i'm familiar with the rattle which can be caused by improper cable tension, this is a seperate issue, i'll try and pop a pic later to explain what i mean.

edit:

in this picture it's part 21 thats the problem. part 22 could be remedied by cable tension adjustment. i do believe a little grease will cure the problem though. again, thanks for the thoughts. :beer:

http://branfordbike.com/merchant/1677/images/site/ergoprtc.gif

thegunner
07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
had the same problem on the 2011 veloce ergos, didn't bother trying to fix it, but just figured i'd pop in and mention that it's not an isolated thing ;)

pavel
07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
If you can manage to get it in there somehow, I would recommend trying to use beeswax instead of grease.