PDA

View Full Version : bike tools question.

zoom2zoom
07-10-2011, 04:32 PM
i am going to try and put a bike together for the first time, and i need some advice on what tools i need..

i would like to take parts of my current bike and put them on another frame.

the current setup is all Campy Record - BB, cranks, brakes, etc.

I would like to order the tools to remove/install the parts, can someone tell me the exact tools/models i need?

and what is the best/afforable bike stand?

what is the best on-line store to order?

thanks in advanced.

Ken Robb
07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Park Tools site has how to do it instruction and lists tools required.

mcewen
07-10-2011, 06:30 PM
If you want a mobile stand Feedback has one of the best. You can also get one that bolts right to a workbench.

Just for the headset alone, you are going to need:
Crown race puller
Crown Race Installer
Headset press
Threadless Nut Setter

You will need the bottom bracket tool for your particular style.

After that and the bottom bracket, it is pretty easy. Assuming your wheels are completely built and true and the cassette is installed, mostly you will need Allen wrenches, a torque wrench, a chain tool, a cable cutter, and a bench grinder.

Dekonick
07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Have the headset pressed in by a shop. They shouldn't charge much, and it will save you some headaches. Otherwise, buy the right tools. Youtube is your friend.

Chousen One
07-10-2011, 06:59 PM
As for stands, hardly a better one than the Park PRS-20

Pete Serotta
07-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I do not know where you are located but the HQ and Warehouse is in COLO.

ASK FOR SAMMY OR DOUG, Tell them PETE gave you all the names.

the MAVIC/Parlee tents (yeah I work there but my mechanical skills are worse even than my typing) have used them for the last three years. (Bill Davis crew)

PETE

beer_meister
07-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Another vote for the Park PRS-20.

Agree with letting the shop due the headset cups. I would also let the shop cut the fork, since this is your first time, although it's not that hard.

First and foremost, you need a really good set of metric allen wrenches. Don't economize here. Buy the best you can find and get the long ones or the Y-handles. Get Snap-on, Craftsman, whatever ....

Since you're running Campy, you'll need some torckx wrenchs too. (These look like allen wrenches but have the star pattern instead.)

You'll need some specialty tools for the bottom bracket cups. Check LBS, Ebay or Amazon.

You'll need some cable cutters, and cable housing cutters (or a Dremel tool).

You'll also need a chain breaking (and connecting tool) as well as a chain whip.

You'll need a good quality torque wrench for installing your carbon bits.

If you decide to cut your own forks you'll need a bench, a vise, a saw guide, and a hack saw with a really sharp blade.

If you have an integrated seat post, I would let the LBS cut that.

Good Luck!

Keep us updated with photies.

eltonbalch
07-11-2011, 10:59 AM
i am going to try and put a bike together for the first time, and i need some advice on what tools i need..

i would like to take parts of my current bike and put them on another frame.

the current setup is all Campy Record - BB, cranks, brakes, etc.

I would like to order the tools to remove/install the parts, can someone tell me the exact tools/models i need?

and what is the best/afforable bike stand?

what is the best on-line store to order?

thanks in advanced.

It looks like you are starting from ground zero. If this is the ONLY bike you are ever going to assemble, let the local bike shop handle it and save yourself the time and expense. Otherwise assess what you are comfortable doing yourself and what parts you will parse out to your LBS. As a life long tool collector I'll tell you NOT to cheap out--good tools are good (and more costly) for a reason. The second thing I'll tell you is NOTHING is ever as easy as it looks!!

I'm no bike mechanic so I can't offer comprehensive advise on the "right" tools. I own the basics--Park 10 bike stand, metric wrenches and drivers, torque wrench, pedal wrench, etc. Google and You Tube are your friends. I have had very good luck purchasing from Amazon and you will often find customer ratings (take them with a grain of salt) to help you decide. If you really are serious about this, I'd buy one of the Park tool kits because you will save considerably over buying each tool separately--sell anything you really don't need if you go that route. A decent bike stand and tool kit will easily cost $500 and you will likely spend more.

I'd also hang out at the LBS and become really friendly with the bike mechanic :) .

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you; it's fun to learn new skills and having a decent selection of tools is never a bad idea. Good luck and have fun!