PDA

View Full Version : Road rash advice

NateM
06-29-2005, 09:29 PM
So I picked up my friends bike in NYC, gonna give it a nice tuneup for his trip to the Tour in the Alps,its raining,he says I just put new tires on,I head for the Ferry to NJ, still raining, thinking bike path will be safer than these slippery streets,I'm laying on my side in a dirty puddle wondering did he say brand new tires?
Now that I'm finished scrubbing out all the debris and have applied some antibiotic ointment,whats the drill with care? Elbow,knee,upper calf.The bike only needs new bartape.Oh and that tuneup too.Thanks,NateM

coylifut
06-29-2005, 10:06 PM
on the real nasty rasberrys apply Tagaderm. You can get it at Walgreens.

shaq-d
06-29-2005, 11:29 PM
So I picked up my friends bike in NYC, gonna give it a nice tuneup for his trip to the Tour in the Alps,its raining,he says I just put new tires on,I head for the Ferry to NJ, still raining, thinking bike path will be safer than these slippery streets,I'm laying on my side in a dirty puddle wondering did he say brand new tires?
Now that I'm finished scrubbing out all the debris and have applied some antibiotic ointment,whats the drill with care? Elbow,knee,upper calf.The bike only needs new bartape.Oh and that tuneup too.Thanks,NateM

there are 2 ways, cheap and expensive. but what's important is what u do early on, which u've probably already done, from here on it's a little late.

cheap: hydrogen peroxide to clean all the crap off. light scrubbing. no need to go nuts. then bandage or let it air dry if you're gonna be in clean environments.

expensive: after hydrogen peroxide cleansing, apply spenco second skin on wound, and use med tape to keep it on. spenco 2nd skin is just awesome.

either way, the goal is to keep the wound clean and breathing. i'm not a fan of antibiotic oitment; if u've cleaned it, it won't get infected.

sd

tuco
06-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Try this...
http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/3909.0.html
or google on this...
mefix "road rash"

As mentioned, 2nd skin is great. Anything that will spray on and provide a protective coating is great. Spenco or other.

Post pictures. j/k (just kidding). Now, no more crying in the pity pot. Get back on the bike!

06-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Here's the best review I've found outside of medical textbooks. This is another example of Mike Murray's dedication to quality racing information and support. Also check out www.woundcareshop.com for all kinds of useful information and products.

vaxn8r
06-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Hydrogen peroxide is a myth that needs to be put to rest. I never use it. It's truly amazing that a product with no proven use is still bought and used as a first line first-aid treatment.

Mild soap and water. Get the crud out of the wound. A cotton wash cloth is usually as good as a surgical scrub brush. You can even use a toothbrush to get the embedded gravel out. Make sure it's a new one though. Oral flora in a wound is a recipe for serious, even life-threatening infections! Ointment keeps the scab somewhat pliable, whether it's polysporin, silvadene or vaseline. Some people are very sensitive to Neosporin....user beware. Non adherent pads are useful at first when the wound is sticky and oozy. Watch for signs of infection and keep it clean. Pretty simple.

toaster
06-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Agreed. Stay away from harsh chemicals like hydrogen peroxide and iodine. Use antibiotic ointments.

No dry scabs. keep wound moist and covered, closed rather than open healing. An effort is made to lightly scrub away the scab as it's forming.

I use petroleum coated gauze over the Neosporin treated area and a padded bandage over that and secured with tape. Change at least daily and try not to let dressings stick to wound.

I take baths instead of showers and allow the wound to sit in warm bath water where I can lightly scrub them and keep clean.

All this care takes time and effort which is why most people just go for the dry scab. Your wound will heal very nicely if you go the extra mile and keep it moist and pink as it heals with ointment over it always.

NateM
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
thanks all for the advice.Being a type 1 diabetic, my big fight is infection in this slow healing body.Looks like its new dressing time.

Too Tall
06-30-2005, 08:12 AM
As a vet....what Vax said. Prevent scabs from forming and you won't have scars. Do this by keeping the wounds gooped with triple ointment. Spray on second skin will cause so much pain you'll want to claw your eyes out...buyer beware. Tube type gauze is great stuff to hold sugical pads in place as is the sticky bandage wrap WHICH comes in nifty colors...oooooo BONUS :) Good luck with that Nate.

coylifut
06-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Here's the best review I've found outside of medical textbooks. This is another example of Mike Murray's dedication to quality racing information and support. Also check out www.woundcareshop.com for all kinds of useful information and products.

if Mike's writting, I'm reading, but I don't see the link. I hope he recovers from his recent crash in good order.

Hoboken Biker
06-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Here's the link for Brave Soldier skin care, lots of info on cleaning, healing & protecting road rash.
http://www.bravesoldier.com/main_home.htm

Oh yeah, don't miss the really gross pictures of scabs & wounds.

zap
06-30-2005, 09:25 AM
What Vax and TT mentioned.

Some swear by folic acid supplements as well to speed things up a bit.

Also, when new skin forms, use plenty of sunscreen. Get the highest spf you can get.

jeffg
06-30-2005, 09:55 AM
:banana: :banana:

jeffg
06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
nothing but nothing beats Duoderm, IMHO. I had a nasty fall after getting hit from behind at 40+ mph and after 10 days beautiful new pink skin appeared. Just change it every few days (use a glue stick around the edges for best results). Once the oozy messy stuff stopped and new skin was there I went beyond sunscreen and wrapped it in gauze as well while riding since i was out in triple digit heat for over 12 hrs., but if you are not really out in the sun sunblock should be enough.

flydhest
06-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Hydrogen peroxide is a myth that needs to be put to rest. I never use it. It's truly amazing that a product with no proven use is still bought and used as a first line first-aid treatment.

Vax,

I know you're a professional and all, but I have to disagree. In fact, you're just flat out wrong on the facts here. Nothing, but nothing is better to help with healing of a wound than a brand new head of platinum blonde hair. Scrapes and cuts matter so much less to me when my hair looks like a Jersey Shore mimbo's. I feel at once beautiful and unencumbered by rational thought.

I appreciate your insight in most things, but the thought that peroxide is useless needs to be put to rest.

Ginger
06-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Ah Fly,

You'd make a gorgeous blonde.

Too Tall
06-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Ginger, he is a beautiful Blonde.

Ozz
06-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Vax,

I know you're a professional and all, but I have to disagree. In fact, you're just flat out wrong on the facts here. Nothing, but nothing is better to help with healing of a wound than a brand new head of platinum blonde hair. Scrapes and cuts matter so much less to me when my hair looks like a Jersey Shore mimbo's. I feel at once beautiful and unencumbered by rational thought.

I appreciate your insight in most things, but the thought that peroxide is useless needs to be put to rest.
Fly,

I'm disappointed in you....I was sure you would say: Nothing is better than a platinum blonde (or two?) to make scrapes and cuts matter so much less. ;)

Who cares what your hair looks like? Focus man!

flydhest
06-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Ozz,

Ow. you made a bit of my sandwich come out of my nose.

Where's that peroxide?

Skrawny
06-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I agree with above.
Aggressively clean and debride (remove dead tissue) initially, then keep it covered and moist. Hydrogen peroxide causes too much tissue damage. If you are a type 1 DM you are especially prone to infection and need to keep a very close eye on it. If the discharge from the wound changes, gets smelly, or the skin around the wound gets more warm & red see a doctor at a walk in clinic within 24hrs. Don't get cavalier about this, I am currently taking care of a guy in the ICU with necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) who has just had his arm amputated - although this is rare, it happens, progresses quickly, and it carries a 30% mortality...

If you are not sensitive to triple antibiotic ointment, it should be applied to the twice a day dressing changes. I am a big fan of both tegaderm and duoderm (I usually swipe them from clinic).

And, yes, we blonds DO have more fun... :D
-s

Ozz
06-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Ozz,

Ow. you made a bit of my sandwich come out of my nose.

Where's that peroxide?
simon phoenix?

Oh, and moist, clean, well lubed....the road rash you perv...... :D