PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on aero wheels

Bruce K
02-10-2004, 06:47 AM
There is an interesting article comparing aero wheels on the CCB Racing website @ www.ccbracing.com

CCB is a local racing club located in MArblehead, MA with some interesting alumni such as Tyler Hamilton.

The guy who wrote the article seems to have really done his homework.

BK

flydhest
02-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Bruce,

Did you really find that a useful article? I say that because, as the author admits, it's not scientific at all. The fact that the perceived difference was biggest on group rides rather than a time trial should be a flag, I think. I'd love to see tests done on the effect of aero wheels on someone who is sitting 5th in a group. Presumably, anyone who needs to "buy some speed" as the author puts it, is not going off the front and staying there on a regular basis. Even if they were, it would be the time trial setting that would matter more then. The difference he seems to harp on is the box rim versus disc differential of 40+ watts. Hmmm, riding discs on a group ride with cross winds . . . thanks, I'll pass. For the other wheels, the difference is substantially less.

Anyway, this seems to me to be why there are so many recreational riders riding on expensive aero rims . . . it almost seems to add to the hype. Now, I agree that if you're going to be doing solo efforts at 23-30 mph for over a half hour, then it's important. It's just that I only end up doing that when I ride by myself and am in a hurry for a workout or flat and have to chase back on to the local team ride that I jump in every so often. Riding with most of the people I know from the forum . . . well, just learning to paceline will would be an easier way to add 2-5 mph on a ride. Either that or sitting on my wheel :D

Bruce K
02-10-2004, 08:05 AM
flydhest;

I said it was interesting and I did think some of it was useful.

Interestingly, after lots of calculations, some of HED's testing is done by their employees while commuting or training. Not all of it is in a wind tunnel.

I did find the author's calcualtions where he calcualted time savings with constant wattage over a spcific distance pretty interesting.

I have made my wheel choices and don't plan on changing soon. I have my Ksyriums on the Concours, and the HED ALPS on my Ottrott.

I personally did see a time change in my club TT times when I went to more aero wheels on the bike.

See you in June,

BK

flydhest
02-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Bruce,

Yeah, I can definitely see where you'll notice a difference in time trials. That seems to me to be clearly where the biggest gains would be. Care to relate your personal experience with the gains? I think that sort of data is really helpful for a recreational rider to think about.

I'm bummed about the switch to June, I mean, how am I going to get in a finger numbing, cold and wet ride in June???

TmcDet
02-10-2004, 09:17 AM
you can keep your hands wrapped with ice then your hands will be numb, heck i guess you would have to pack your entire body in ice to be wet and cold...not sure the wheels would ever make a difference then though, hard to be aero with ice everywhere

Bruce K
02-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Fly;

You know me, older (50), balding (more aero ?), and slower than dirt (kinda).

I have been using my club's TT's for the last 3 seasons to guage my fitness level (improving).

It was always a little frustrating trying to compare where I am at to other guys my age, even if some of them are ex-pros, etc. when they all add whiz-bang TT bikes. Always questioned how much was rider and how much was bike.

I finally built a Tt bike to take the bike out of the equation.

I am currently using a Cannondale R1000Aero with 105 components. The bike is fitted with HED 1 piece aerobars, an H3 front wheel, and a HED 3D rear disc.

Our course is about 11.5 miles long and has 3 good sized hills as part of it.

The wheel change got me about 30-45 seconds from 1 event to the next (can't account for wind).

I have noticed that with the wind in the right direction (behind) the disc seems to give you an extra "boost" that seems to outwiegh a regular road bike with a tailwind.

Cross winds can be VERY treacherous with the disc and tri-blade for the obvious reasons, but you can get almost a whole lane change out of one good gust.

As for ALPS vs Ksyriums, I think the ALPS are a little better in a straight line and seems to feel better when climbing. Throw in a cross wind and I'll take the lower profile Ksyriums.

From a service standpoint HED has been outstanding. I have only had one problem with the wheels in 2 seasons and over 3000 miles. The flange on the rear hub cracked last summer (old design). I was able to ride the wheel for 18 miles to get home (pretty sturdy stuff).

I FedExed the wheel back to them on Monday and had a new wheel on Friday. Wonderful people to deal with.

I hope this all helps a little.

BK

Bruce K
02-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Fly (and anyone else interested);

I just posted a picture of the bike in the Custom Gallery if you want to take a look.

BK