PDA

View Full Version : Cutting an Alpha Q fork

Hank Scorpio
07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I just bought happycampyers Parlee and it rules but I need to cut the steerer down. Well I don't need to but I want to. It has the sleeve that is glued in. Do I need to remove that somehow? Also once I cut it can I just install a normal expanding plug or should I glue in a new insert? Should I just ride it as is and call it good? Right now I have a maybe 1/4 spacer below the stem and a good 1 3/4 inches above the stem maybe 2" even.

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

I have the park cutting guide and a sharp hacksaw blade ready and waiting.

Thanks
James

thwart
07-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I can share that I had my insert (glued in exactly as directed) walk its way up the steerer when I tightened the end cap with some force. 'Twas then easy to pull it out, cut the steerer a bit and re-glue (using some super epoxy that was probably what they should've used in their kit).

Yes, I was a little less forceful tightening the end cap down after that... :rolleyes:

If you search, there was a thread awhile back about the acceptable amount to cut off of the glued-in insert & steerer---straight from the manufacturer, IIRC. Don't think it was 2 inches...

Hank Scorpio
07-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I will search out the thread. I just checked it isn't two inches maybe and inch and a half to 3/4. I would leave a small spacer above the stem so an inch would be good enough.

A1CKot
07-09-2011, 07:57 PM
You can cut it 2cm after the sleeve has been glued.

Edit: the thread in question (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78565)