PDA

View Full Version : OT Garmin

1happygirl
07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Okay so y'all know I've been working on GPSing etc. lately.

Went to REI last night and a local store and played around. As usual, fell in love with something different and MORE expensive than what I had studied on the internet that I was convinced I wanted until I played with them in the store.
MY Question: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH GARMIN STRAIGHT AWAY?

Convinced myself gonna try out a 610, however, Garmin forums, Epinions.com, etc are showing some pretty scary stuff for an expensive product. It appears it is not ready for prime time. Lots wrong- anything to being off by several hundred feet which means a lot of time in running among other problems. I wouldn't know the difference anyway but come on. Also, cases not plated correctly and oxidizing and the kicker BACKWARDS CHARGING. YOU plug it in and it depletes your battery and won't turn on. Tried to step down (NEEDED THIS /HOPED TO HAVE IT BY THIS MONDAY) but the 210 reviews have errors too.

Is Garmin releasing products too early that are not ready for prime time?
:crap:

If it were one or two reviews, okay but I want my product to at least have a chance of working straight away. I realize nothing is 100% though.

SpeedyChix
07-08-2011, 07:22 PM
I've used a number of the Edge and Forerunner products. Maybe I've just had good luck but they've been fine for my use. No major issues with them. The Edge 305s tended to have their battery eventually come loose if used in rough terrain for much of their life. But I've also been pretty trouble-free with PowerTaps and Quarqs.

There are certainly a significant volume of reports with issues. Firmware does tend to lag or chase the product as it goes.

The 610 looks like it's part of the line that includes the 405 (and I'd stay away from that one).
You may be better off with a 310XT? Larger yes, perhaps features you don't need/want. I use a Forerunner 305 for running / hiking / kayaking and been generally happy with it. It's huge on my small kid-size wrist but it has been a solid piece of gear.

Jason E
07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I've had my 705 for a year and a half, and had used Polar for a very long time before that. There was a learning curve, but it has been flawless.

Ergott was down last weekend with his. We rode. Our rides were identical to one another [except when he circled back down for my fat arse].

I think they make a quality product, and that a lot of people are having positive experiences as well. It may be the case that people unhappy with an item bark, and people that are happy with an item do not.

1happygirl
07-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Lemme give a shout out to Speedy and Jason.

Yeah the 310xt way, way too big for me looks ridiculous when I tried it on. Heard the 305 was bulletproof. Same issue though and the three hundreds need as a sport watch which they don't have.

JE hoping to save some G's as need the watch for work stuff and wait on the 705/800 for the cycle. That's good the rides were consensually wrong, er, the same. Just kiddin'

610 out of stock till end of July. I would say but when peeps saying they can't download and charge, repeatedly WHAT'S UP WITH THAT though?

Just like Apple and WINDOZE the new tech companies make the early adopters beta testers.
I'm just to conservative or broke with my money to waste it. Good thing I've heard is Garmin supporting the earlies with new watches. Build good credit and the laters like me will buy, buy, buy.

Alan
07-09-2011, 05:35 AM
DC rainmaker is very comprehensive on everything.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/garmin-forerunner-610-in-depth-review.html

Alan

endosch2
07-09-2011, 05:54 AM
I have a Forerunner 305 and a Edge 500 and they are both awesome - about a year on both and they perform very well.

I second the recommendation to look at the Blog DC rainmaker - more detail on Garmins than you could ever find anywhere else.

1happygirl
07-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Yep. Thanks. Read DCRainmaker cover to cover.
I'm just shocked (and hesitant) over the # of defects/bugs? that the new watches have.

I think the cyclecomputers are a bit more 'ready for prime time'.

djg21
07-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I've used various Garmin products in my automobile for
many years, an Edge 705 on my bike ofr thelast few years. All have worked well. There have been some minor hiccups at times from firmware updates, and one auto unit had to be repaired under warranty, but Garmin Tech support has proven helpful and effective.

In regard to the cycling GPS, I briefly thought about upgrading to the Edge 800, but the 705 is only marginally larger, and IMO offers better functionality in that it allows routes to be transferred via Ant+ to/from other similar GPSs. This has been useful at times. I figure that there will be another generation of the devices in a year that will restore the functionality and make the upgrade worth the price.

Bob Loblaw
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I bought a 305 used off eBay against the advice of many who warned about loose connections and power outages, and it did wink out the very first time I used it. But there's a guy selling his services on eBay who can fix/prevent that problem...turns them around in a week for a very reasonable $30 plus shipping. He fixed mine and it's been perfect.

BL

RPS
07-09-2011, 09:19 PM
We recently got a 5-inch Garmin Nuvi for the car and so far it has worked fine, although we've only used it a couple of times. I have to admit I haven't used all the functions and capabilities yet, but no problems thus far. Based on limited use I also like that it's easy to operate.