PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Powdercoat city!

InspectorGadget
07-08-2011, 02:44 PM
As I mentioned in my Paint or Powdercoat thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=92344), I shipped the Argon 18 frame off to Len at Figure Finishing. He called me today to let me know it had arrived. :)

Then he told me the plastic block I had put in the rear dropouts had been broken and the rear spacing was uniformly squished to about 80mm. :eek:

Len said he would take the frame down the street and have a bike shop friend take a look at the frame. Apparently this shop has frame alignment tools and they thought it could be straightened.

I have my doubts. If the frame was steel, maybe. Aluminum, not likely. :no:

Any advice on straightening an aluminum frame? I did have the frame insured; any advice on submitting a claim with UPS?

avalonracing
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Do not try to fix the frame. Photograph it and make your claim with UPS straight away.

Dekonick
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Do not try to fix the frame. Photograph it and make your claim with UPS straight away.

+1

jr59
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM

If you do anything else, you will have a very diffcult time submitting a claim, if they cant str it!

AngryScientist
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
+1

+2

biker72
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM

+3

You did have it insured right???? :D

Even if you didn't they are liable for up to $100.

Marcy
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Just went through something similar with UPS -- don't straighten it, get pictures and submit claim right away.

UPS has a new claims subcontrator and will deny your claim. Submit again and a 3rd time if necessary (in my case we had to) -- they finally coughed up a little money.

Next time try Fed-Ex Ground, they seem to be a little better.

Don49
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
any advice on submitting a claim with UPS?

UPS is going to assert that the frame was improperly packed and therefore they are not responsible for the damage. Be prepared to countered that argument with pictures of the plastic block in place, pictures of any damage to the box, etc. Remember you will be dealing with a claims adjuster who knows nothing about bicycles, and your frame is going to appear just fine to him.

Fedex totaled one of my bikes but they eventually paid me in full. Just be prepared for a fight and don't give up.

InspectorGadget
07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
I insured the frame for $750 because even a cheap Argon frame isn't very cheap.

I didn't take before pictures. I didn't wrap individual frame tubes or wrap the entire frame in bubble wrap because I was sending it to get a new paint job. The head tube was secured vertically in a cardboard block and there was the plastic block in the dropouts. I can only guess something heavy got dropped on the side of the box that broke the plastic block and squished the rear stays.

Most disheartening.

tele
07-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I had FedEx squish the rear dropout of a Ti frame recently, as avalonracing can attest to. I didnt have before pics either but take good pics of the damage to both frame and box. It was kind of a hassle to have them pay for the damage but they did pay after a few weeks. File a claim asap and write down names, numbers, extensions blah blah. Hound them to make it right.

Frankwurst
07-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Filing a claim with UPS is a PITA. I've done it. Stand your ground. They will claim bad packing, ect.,ect. Be firm and tell them you've shipped or received more than one bike and let them know they aren't dealing with somebody that is unfamiliar with packing and shipping a bicycle. It takes more than a couple of phone conversations to win but remeber the person on the other end works for them, not you, even though you are the customer. Convince them you know what your doing in matters like this and you will win. Like I said it's a PITA. But not getting fair compensation hurts even more. :beer:

oldpotatoe
07-09-2011, 07:49 AM
As I mentioned in my Paint or Powdercoat thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=92344), I shipped the Argon 18 frame off to Len at Figure Finishing. He called me today to let me know it had arrived. :)

Then he told me the plastic block I had put in the rear dropouts had been broken and the rear spacing was uniformly squished to about 80mm. :eek:

Len said he would take the frame down the street and have a bike shop friend take a look at the frame. Apparently this shop has frame alignment tools and they thought it could be straightened.

I have my doubts. If the frame was steel, maybe. Aluminum, not likely. :no:

Any advice on straightening an aluminum frame? I did have the frame insured; any advice on submitting a claim with UPS?

Aluminum can be bent back but the probability of it breaking later is large. Take picture, keep the box, talk to UPS, make a claim. Shipper makes the claim.

InspectorGadget
07-10-2011, 10:22 PM
The UPS claim has been filed. I also want to say that Len has been fabulous to work with under less than ideal conditions.

InspectorGadget
07-16-2011, 06:22 PM
UPS has completed their investigation and now I need to submit the following 3 pieces of information:

Documents needed to file a claim:
1. Request for Claim Payment Form: Enter the lesser of the actual cost, replacement cost if the merchandise can be replaced and or repair cost if the merchandise can be repaired, and transportation charges.

2. Merchandise Value: A copy of the original invoice or other proof certified in writing sufficient to identify the package contents and substantiate the lesser of the actual cost, replacement cost or repair cost of the merchandise.

3. Shipping Record: A copy of the shipping record for the above package.

1. & 2. I've spoken to my local Argon dealer and explained the situation to them. UPS said I will have the damaged frame back on Thursday and I will take it to the dealer for their assessment of value.

3. Easy enough, I have the tracking record.

UPS' acceptance of responsibility for the damage and the claim process has been pretty smooth and straightforward so far. As long as the dealer is willing to work with me, is there anything else I should do?

Liberace
07-16-2011, 06:31 PM
UPS has completed their investigation and now I need to submit the following 3 pieces of information:

1. & 2. I've spoken to my local Argon dealer and explained the situation to them. UPS said I will have the damaged frame back on Thursday and I will take it to the dealer for their assessment of value.

3. Easy enough, I have the tracking record.

UPS' acceptance of responsibility for the damage and the claim process has been pretty smooth and straightforward so far. As long as the dealer is willing to work with me, is there anything else I should do?

They are asking you to do the legwork which is typical, but doesn't mean they accept liability. Did they give you a letter accepting liability or admitting negligence? If so, great!

Olmo
07-17-2011, 12:38 AM
I never ever use UPS. I always use either the US Postal Service (hey they did sponsor the preeminent American cycling team, even though we are now learning they are all dopers) or FedEx.

UPS is for shipping things like Nerf footballs or styrofoam peanuts, not things like a bike you care about.

What kind of bike was it (Klein, Cannondale, Sycip, Co-Motion, etc.) being aluminum?

InspectorGadget
07-18-2011, 12:15 AM
What kind of bike was it (Klein, Cannondale, Sycip, Co-Motion, etc.) being aluminum?It was an Argon 18, now it's a wall hanging. [shrug]

bikser
07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Yep, I've always heard you can't cold set aluminum. Sounds like UPS is taking the initial correct steps. As others have said definitely hold you ground with the claim, with them or anybody. Persistence usually pays off. I think their business model/policy is that they will pay a certain amount in claims, thats why they just leave stuff at the door anymore. Probably half the packages I receive through them are damaged (boxes not the contents), so stuff that processes through them definitely takes a beating. I only ship softgoods through them, e.g. returns. FEDEX has been my go to for all larger bike items, and I "insure" them. They recently damaged a new set of Mavic wheels, I had to make a few calls and do the claim rigamaroll, but once I got to the right claims agent he processed the claim on the spot and had a check sent out to me right away. Good luck with everything.

InspectorGadget
07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
once I got to the right claims agent ...
How do you get to the right claims agent? Every time I've called and asked to speak with someone in the claims department, the agent says I can help you. One person was helpful, at best the others seemed to tolerate my call.

Liberace
07-26-2011, 04:30 PM
How do you get to the right claims agent? Every time I've called and asked to speak with someone in the claims department, the agent says I can help you. One person was helpful, at best the others seemed to tolerate my call.

Any developments?

InspectorGadget
07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I have submitted all the supporting documents UPS requested. Today I was told they are processing my claim and I should receive payment within 5 or 10 working days. :)