PDA

View Full Version : Centaur FD Question

bluekudu
07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi all, I have an 05/06 Centaur clamp-on front derailleur that I originally ran with a standard crankset but then switched to an FSA compact setup. It seemed to work fine for me, but is this truly a CT compatible FD? If there was a CT and non-CT version in 05/06, how can I tell what I have?

Thanks in advance.

ultraman6970
07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Long time ago that campagnolo is using only one FD for compact and Standard, so it doesnt surprise me at all that it works.

I have a compact chorus one that should work only with the flat bar shifters and it works just fine with standard brifters and standard cranksets.

The arch of the FD arm is more curved and should be stamped CT somewhere.

ps: forgot this, the back of the arm cage is TALLER because the difference between the chainrings but besides that is the same thing.

thwart
07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Seems that folks run standard, triple and compact FD's with compact cranks with reasonable degrees of success.

I have a couple of bikes with a standard Campy FD's and Campy compact cranks that shift just great.

Campy tended to label their CT specific FD's that way up until the 'one size fits all' current models.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi all, I have an 05/06 Centaur clamp-on front derailleur that I originally ran with a standard crankset but then switched to an FSA compact setup. It seemed to work fine for me, but is this truly a CT compatible FD? If there was a CT and non-CT version in 05/06, how can I tell what I have?

Thanks in advance.

It would say 'CT' on it but in fact, compact cranks came out way before CT front derailleurs and in my experience, standard FDers work as well if not better than the so called compact FDers, particularly with shimano drivetrains(like the FSA CT FD which I think work awful).

Remember shimano waved their magic wand and added one tooth to FD 'capacity', 15 vs 15, to make their standard FD compact compatible..

sg8357
07-08-2011, 08:30 AM
I use the Campy triple FD on compact triples, works nicely.
Have used Ergo and Suntour or Shimano bar-cons with 48/36/24 rings.

oliver1850
07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Here's a pic of the 3 2005 era cage styles. Often on ebay they will not be identified correctly by the seller, so it helps to know what they look like. The grey one is the std. cage, the middle one is the compact, and the bottom is the triple. As oldpotatoe mentioned, the compact is stamped CT 10S on the back of the cage, and says Centaur CT on the outer link. The other 2 cage styles are not marked. The current cage style is marked STD CT, and is intended to be used for either crank. It is shown in the middle of the 2nd pic, the top being standard cage, the bottom being CT.

aaron 1804
07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
This place rocks!

bluekudu
07-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks folks. The one I have looks like the one in the upper left of Oliver 1850 pic, except in silver not grey.