PDA

View Full Version : Rapha etiquette

fiamme red
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
• White socks only from May onwards. Black socks are for winter months...

• At cafés, bars and pubs cyclists must always sit outside, no matter what the season. Why? Well it looks more European and you can keep an eye on your bike, but mainly because there is no place for Lycra in a public bar and a nice Sunday-lunching family does not need to stare at your ugly lunchbox...

• Unless you are astride a touring bike, any extraneous equipment should be kept on the body, not on the bike. Pumps, tool kits, rain jackets etc look naff, twee and nerdy mounted to the crossbar saddle or bars and spoil the elegant lines of your titanium frame. So stuff all your bits and pieces in those three pockets on the back of your jersey.

• The only exception here is a folded up tyre, rakishly attached to the rear of the saddle with an old fashioned pedal strap...

More here:

http://www.rapha.cc/raphaquette

Lovetoclimb
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Kind of a skimmed list of the Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist. Several years later I might add . . .

charliedid
07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
White socks are for girls...and basketball players from Indiana.

false_Aest
07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
[I]
• Unless you are astride a touring bike, any extraneous equipment should be kept on the body, not on the bike. Pumps, tool kits, rain jackets etc look naff, twee and nerdy mounted to the crossbar saddle or bars and spoil the elegant lines of your titanium frame. So stuff all your bits and pieces in those three pockets on the back of your jersey.
http://www.rapha.cc/raphaquette

Bull effin *****e.

Rapha should think back to the days when pumps were painted to match the frame.

Also, nothing says LEGIT (no, not PRO. LEGIT. LEGIT!!!) than a freakin frame pump.

You'll ask "Why?"

I'll say

1) CO2 -- recycling be damned, those things are wasteful
2) Dogs -- they don't chase you after your knock em in the snout.
3) People -- yes, I have held my ground with a frame pump. You try to do that with a CO2 or jersey pocket pump.
4) Helping others -- How many pumps does it take to inflate a random person's tyre with a pocket rocket? 2-bajillion-52. To take a 700x23 up to 95 PSI it takes me 115 strokes. I can therefore help a dude (which is exceptionally more LEGIT than riding helmetless with a handlebar moustache) and be off again in less time. Double benefit, less sweat dripping off my nose and a 2nd good feeling (Better than the endorphin rush from nearly destroying a $1000 kit made from eco yarn by free-range 12 year olds in Bangledesh.

fiamme red
07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Bull effin *****e.

Also, nothing says LEGIT (no, not PRO. LEGIT. LEGIT!!!) than a freakin frame pump.

You'll ask "Why?"

I'll say

3) People -- yes, I have held my ground with a frame pump. You try to do that with a CO2 or jersey pocket pump.
4) Helping others -- How many pumps does it take to inflate a random person's tyre with a pocket rocket? 2-bajillion-52. To take a 700x23 up to 95 PSI it takes me 115 strokes. I can therefore help a dude (which is exceptionally more LEGIT than riding helmetless with a handlebar moustache) and be off again in less time. Double benefit, less sweat dripping off my nose and a 2nd good feeling (Better than the endorphin rush from nearly destroying a $1000 kit made from eco yarn by free-range 12 year olds in Bangledesh.Levi Leipheimer knows the value of a frame pump, and he takes one on his training rides.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/02/11/cm_levi_mjm6.jpg

charliedid
07-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes he does....he tried to ward off that attacking guard rail with it earlier today...

[QUOTE=fiamme red]Levi Leipheimer knows the value of a frame pump, and he takes one on his training rides.

AngryScientist
07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
i read that this morning. Rapha should never have published that on their blog.

As i mentioned i drink from the Rapha koolaide fountain, and the writing on this blog post was seriously sub-par. terribly written, and way out of character for what they usually publish.

awful blog post IMO.

charliedid
07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Satire People.....satire!

AngryScientist
07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Bull effin *****e.

You'll ask "Why?"

I'll say

4) Helping others -- How many pumps does it take to inflate a random person's tyre with a pocket rocket? 2-bajillion-52. To take a 700x23 up to 95 PSI it takes me 115 strokes. I can therefore help a dude (which is exceptionally more LEGIT than riding helmetless with a handlebar moustache) and be off again in less time. Double benefit, less sweat dripping off my nose and a 2nd good feeling (Better than the endorphin rush from nearly destroying a $1000 kit made from eco yarn by free-range 12 year olds in Bangledesh.

not to mention that the Rapha bike comes with a frame pump:)

FlashUNC
07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I gave up on trying to keep my white socks looking white, even in the summer.

Dark colors all the way these days.

MattTuck
07-07-2011, 02:14 PM
I have images of squirting someone in the face with CO2. It is quite comical, but could also be effective. :rolleyes:

flydhest
07-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I have images of squirting someone in the face with CO2. It is quite comical, but could also be effective. :rolleyes:

Freeze their nose right off.

R2D2
07-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Well I wear white when it's 100 out. Sorry.............
If I can't wear a team kit I guess I can't wear Rapha. I don't ride for them either.
Anyway I tried to chuckle along..............

Lovetoclimb
07-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Then I only need to snag a jersey and I can wear a complete Rapha kit! I am sure some sort of transformation will occur within the first 30 minutes of the subsequent ride . . . likely Cinci/NKY will become doubly or triply epic.

fiamme red
07-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Then I only need to snag a jersey and I can wear a complete Rapha kit! I am sure some sort of transformation will occur within the first 30 minutes of the subsequent ride . . . likely Cinci/NKY will become doubly or triply epic.When you're wearing Rapha, even the Little Miami Scenic Trail becomes an epic ride! :)

charliedid
07-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Ha ha....and if you wear Rapha head to toe exclusively, you can just pay someone to ride for you!

When you're wearing Rapha, even the Little Miami Scenic Trail becomes an epic ride! :)

Fixed
07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
let someone tell you how to be you ?

cheers

BillG
07-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Rapha is aware that their homoerotic dandy schtick is kind of silly and so they try to walk the thin line between seriousness and self-parody. Sometimes it works (the April Fool's chamois creme recall) and sometimes it doesn't (this stupid list).

Their kit is nice though, I have to admit.

rustychisel
07-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Rapha is aware that their homoerotic dandy schtick ....

Woah! Really?

I know pink is the new black, or is it black the new pink? Anyhoo, I predict a massive sale of well used and sweet smelling Rapha gear on this very forum.

jsfoster
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
:cool: White socks are for girls...and basketball players from Indiana.

Up untill a few years ago, white socks were mandatory kit in bicycle racing, clean white socks.......now its just casual friday out there

sailorboy
07-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Holy crap...I think I own more bikes than Levi.