PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Indianapolis

KeithS
07-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I know there are some forumites in the area and I have always gotten great riding advice here in the past.

I am going to be in Indy (Carmel) on business for a couple of days next week. Since I am driving I will have a bike. Looking for some local intell on good places to ride. I assume I will be staying somewhere near our office on College College Ave just north of 116th.

Not necessarily looking for routes, just general suggestions. I like to ride 15-20 early in the morning, or 20-30 after work.

Thanks.

2LeftCleats
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I moved from Indy last summer to Bloomington IN but am familiar with the roads.

You won't be far from the Monon Trail, a MUT extending from north of Carmel (about 166th street I think) all the way downtown to 10th street. It can be too crowded on beautiful days to ride easily and there are cross streets to stop for. It's not intended for racing and in Carmel it has posted limits of 15-20mph. But it's reasonable and passes through some interesting areas.

Eagle Creek is a large city park on the NW side and great for riding but it isn't the easiest to cycle to.

bozman
07-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Check this out: http://www.cibaride.org/

I did a few rides with them when I was in Indy over Memorial Day weekend. They have weekly group rides both during the week and on the weekends. Great folks, very friendly and a variety of average speed groups with which to ride. I emailed the ride leaders ahead of time and they were very welcoming to an out-of-towner. The weekend rides typically have a SAG stop that is well-supported (homemade cookies/brownies during one of my rides.)

dekindy
07-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Use the link Bozman provide, access the Rides tab, and select the first choice which is training and recurring rides.

I ride at Potter's Bridge but email me if you want to meet. There is a very fast group and there are 1 to 2 slower groups depending on attendance. It is flat and I normally average around 19 mph in a group but I will be slower next week due to tapering off. dekindy@comcast.net

Nebo Ridge attracts many riders, 70-80 I am told and has many groups riding various speeds and distances. This would be the most congested ride of the three but is by no means dangerous. This is the only one that starts at a bicycle shop.

Shamrock Springs is a very nice ride also but does not offer faster groups like the other two. I was considering going there next week as I am tapering for the Ride Across Indiana on July 16th.

If you are looking for an urban hammerfest, then Hinkle Fieldhouse will not disappoint. I don't ever consider going there.

Oh, I forgot, all these rides are on Tuesday and Thursday which are my riding days.

On Monday or Wednesday, if you don't want to ride with the fast group at Smokey Road and don't want to get lost, let me know and I will change days and ride with you. Smokey Road is the closest to you geographically but none are very far. Broad Ripple is the Monday/Wednesday urban hammerfest.

Lots of choices!

2LeftCleats
07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Also, as more of a spectating thing than riding, there are velodrome races most Friday evenings in the summer.

Dave B
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
You won't be far from me.

You might contact Nebo ridge bikes and see what they have going on. I love the country roads where I am so I would gladly ride with you, but if you head north from where you are there are nice country roads. I don't ride fast, but I tell great jokes, and can block wind like a champ!

Best

Dave

dbrown
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Nebo Ridge Bike Shop hosts CIBA rides on Tuesday and Thursday evening rides (6PM). The Tuesday night ride is a fast training ride, and the Thursday night ride has multiple groups ( from 22+ mph to 13ish MPH). rides are in the 13-17 mile ranges. The shop is at 106th and Michigan Road- pretty close to where you will be.

jghall
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Not much to add to the already good suggestions. Since you are very close to the "Bike Line", you might want to contact them to see if the have morning rides. Pretty sure they have evening group rides. It is on the same 116th street and no more than a mile or two from you.

Welcome to Indy.

Len J
07-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I have to disagree on the CIBA rides.

Maybe I just hit a bad patch of rides, but I moved to Indy 3+ years ago and when I first got there someone recommended I check out CIBA. For a few months I rode 2 or 3 rides per week trying to find rides that I enjoyed. Unfortunatly, I was unable to find any ride that I enjoyed.

The rides seem to have been populated with people that ignored traffic rules, had sketchy bike handling skills, had little interest in sheparding riders that fell behind (I ended up getting a few people back to the start more than a couple of times and I had little knowledge of the area) and generally were pretty unwelcoming. After a few months I stopped trying. 3 years later and I'm still riding on my own.

It's certainly possible that I just picked the wrong rides but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

To put it in context, I've been riding for 30+ years, and have lived in 6 different areas of the country, am a reasonably strong rider and am pretty easy to get along with. I've never had the experience I had here over so many different groups on any other group rides anywhere.

YMMV.

I live at 131st and Clay Center, not that far from where you describe. I ride north to get out in the country and then do large loops depending on distance. You might also want to go east on 116th to Hazel dell and then north on hazel dell and loop around and back. Have a great time.

Len

Dave B
07-08-2011, 07:47 AM
I have to disagree on the CIBA rides.

Maybe I just hit a bad patch of rides, but I moved to Indy 3+ years ago and when I first got there someone recommended I check out CIBA. For a few months I rode 2 or 3 rides per week trying to find rides that I enjoyed. Unfortunatly, I was unable to find any ride that I enjoyed.

The rides seem to have been populated with people that ignored traffic rules, had sketchy bike handling skills, had little interest in sheparding riders that fell behind (I ended up getting a few people back to the start more than a couple of times and I had little knowledge of the area) and generally were pretty unwelcoming. After a few months I stopped trying. 3 years later and I'm still riding on my own.

It's certainly possible that I just picked the wrong rides but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

To put it in context, I've been riding for 30+ years, and have lived in 6 different areas of the country, am a reasonably strong rider and am pretty easy to get along with. I've never had the experience I had here over so many different groups on any other group rides anywhere.

YMMV.

I live at 131st and Clay Center, not that far from where you describe. I ride north to get out in the country and then do large loops depending on distance. You might also want to go east on 116th to Hazel dell and then north on hazel dell and loop around and back. Have a great time.

Len

Same experiences. I tried all sorts of CIBA stuff and just never found folks who were friendly. I am sure there are, but abrupt personalities, unwilling to accept new comers and lacked some serious personal relationship skills.
I didn't need anyone to hold my hand, but breaking into those groups of individuals is difficult. Had a ride leader apologize once for some of the "senior" members riding like jerks trying to drop me on purpose.

I too enjoy the alone style, but with all of the voices in my head it never seems as alone as you might think. ;)

dekindy
07-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Len J, sorry you had a bad experience. All the ride leaders are Club members that have a limited amount of time to ride and train. It has been clear on the Potter's Bridge training ride, except for one of the five years that I have ridden, that it is not a no drop ride. However I kept showing up and getting left behind, I was the slowest rider for two years, that when the ride leaders swept the course they would let me draft in the final stage.

I agree that the antics you describe occur on one notable training ride that all the members are aware.

If you want to come to Potter's Bridge, our "C" group normally does a double rotating pace line, organized by me because I got tired of being left behind. We try not to drop anyone but you are expected to average 18-20 mph. Come on over and introduce yourself. I drive a 2003 blue Toyota Camry and ride a Serotta Legend. If you want to go faster there are faster groups.

There is a very nice group that I ride with that I would be glad to introduce you to. They start from the Pizza King on Little Chicago Road north of State Road 38, ride on Tuesday evenings only, and generally have a small number that forms a fast group and a larger number that ride in the slower group, in the 16-17 mph range. I almost always ride in the slower group. If there are not enough fast riders we go as one group. They ride year round and at night during the Winter as long as road conditions are okay for road bikes and it is not bitter cold. PM me with your email and I will introduce you. However don't expect to show up for the first time in the Fall and immediately start riding in the dark. They will not allow anybody that they do not have experience with to join at that time of the year and who does not start riding with them in time to participate in the rides that start during daylight and transition to darkness gradually over a period of weeks. Of course you also need a tail light and reasonably good headlight.

I am riding with KeithS at Potter's Bridge this coming Tuesday, the 12th, why don't you join us?

I will return to riding with the Tuesday group on the 19th since I will no longer be training for RAIN.

Spinner
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
I no longer live in Indy, but return several times per year to ride with friends and an occasional CIBA ride.

Eagle Creek Park is always a favorite because of the varied terrain, the shade on hot days and it is very bike friendly. I typically ride a 7 mile loop route.

You might also like the Monon Trail. I rode to downtown Indy over Memorial Day weekend and grabbed some lunch before returning to Carmel. You can also ride the Monon north and then venture off on the country roads.

I've also done a good bit of riding in and around Zionsville, which is about 5 miles west of Carmel.

You can also head east past Fort Benjamin Harrison and Oaklandon and ride mile after mile of low traffic, flat roads.

If you make it to Broadripple (the Monon passes through) a stop at The Three Blind Men Brewery is a must as their beer and pizza are excellent.

Cheers.