PDA

View Full Version : My Friendship With A Serotta Owner

Peter P.
07-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I met John in June 1985, when I started my new job. He had a bachelor's degree in something which could buy you a cup of coffee with a dollar, and worked in our shipping department. He played bagpipes, loved foreign films and was incredibly well read. He had the NY Times in his hands every day.

He was about 40 years old at the time and had just gotten into cycling.

Almost immediately after joining the company I started commuting to work. Thus began my friendship with John. I became his coach/mechanic/mentor even though he had 15 years on me, for while he was smart, he was all thumbs and understood little about the sport.

When I met him he was riding a lower end Raleigh but had an itch to upgrade. I helped him select an aluminum Nishiki with Suntour parts, which he bought through Colorado Cyclist.

After a few years, the Nishiki cracked at the chainstay which I discovered while addressing some complaint he had about a creak on the bike. CC was generous in their warranty because they no longer sold the Nishiki-they gave him a great deal on a Bob Jackson frame, on which I threw all the parts from the dead Nishiki.

I think just about the time I was laid off from the company (5 years; the recession of '90/91) John had a hankering for a new bike. He wanted something custom. He wanted a Serotta. I offered to go with him when he was to get fitted, but I guess he felt it was his time to leave the nest; he went on his own.

He selected a Colorado III with Mavic wheels and an a Shimano 105 9 speed triple group, in red.

I got John into riding centuries and time trials. I was his coach, his drill sergeant, and his wrench. Even after I left the company, I remained in touch with him till this day, retaping bars, replacing cables, adjusting the bearings on his hubs most recently.

The company was having a massive layoff what with the 2008 recession and, at retirement age, John took the buyout of something like a full year's wages.

He now spent his free time with a personal trainer at a gym and of course, riding.

John's wife called me today; John died.

He had a massive heart attack on Sunday while riding his Serotta on a personal time trial route near where he lived. It was likely a route I showed him years ago, when I taught him what time trials were all about.

Doctors found two fully blocked arteries in his heart.

When he had the heart attack, there were three witnesses but I guess they didn't do CPR or couldn't. He was without oxygen to his brain for 30 minutes, so he lost a lot of brain function. Things went downhill from there. Gail told the doctors to pull the plug today.

At least he died doing what he loved-on his Serotta.

I didn't see him often after I left the company but I was thrilled he continued to call me whenever he needed his bike worked on. I'd do anything to keep him on the road because he had the passion. It's like losing a protege, a student.

akelman
07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

gasman
07-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Nicely written ode to a good friend.
Sorry also for your loss.

vsefiream
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I am also sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My best friend's father passed away two weeks ago from blocked arteries as well. I suggested to my friend that he should donate the mustang his dad was working on/finished to a club who would raffle it off and give all the proceeds in a donation to the American heart association. Along the same lines you could coordinate a ride for fun or charity in Johns name, raise awareness and contributions for the heart association, make it as positive as you can.

FlashUNC
07-06-2011, 09:40 PM
My condolences. It sounds like he was a good friend, but had one in return as well.

veloduffer
07-06-2011, 09:59 PM
A touching story - my sympathies to you and his family.

texbike
07-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Great story Peter. I'm sorry to hear the news but it sounds like you had the chance to impact his life in a very positive way over the course of 25 years. Good for you! We should all be fortunate to do the same for the people around us.

Texbike

weisan
07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Peter-pal, because of you, John's life is so much richer and meaningful. I can relate somewhat because I turned 40 last year and I came to America in June 1985.

Also, we just found out today that our close friend Alice has passed away yesterday. Much like yourself, Alice were involved in our lives, as early as when we were dating and then throughout our marriage. That was back in 1997. We named our first child after her. Alice entered into our lives at a critical time. She basically adopted us as we were settling down in our new home and starting a new family. Because of her friendship, the course of our lives was forever changed. From her, we learn to look out for younger people who also need the kind of friendship that she has gifted to us. We will celebrate Alice's life on July 16th at a memorial service. I won't be surprised at all to hear on that day that we were not the only ones that Alice had befriended and touched at a deeper level.

Alice, in her estimation, would say that she is just an ordinary woman. And that's true. I reckon that the OP would think the same of himself. I am reminded again how every day, no matter how small the act, or our words...can make a difference in somebody else' life.

henrypretz
07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
So sorry Peter. Sounds like you and John had a good friendship. I sure that he felt the same about you as you did about him.
May peace be with you and with John's family.

Henry

troymac
07-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Sorry for your loss. Great story even better friendship.

Climb01742
07-07-2011, 05:55 AM
kindness may be the most human(e) thing we can do for each other. your kindness made your friend's life better. and yours as well, it seems. a wonderful story, and an even more wonderful act of kindness on your part, peter.

AngryScientist
07-07-2011, 06:00 AM
very sorry to hear about the loss. sounds like he was a great guy, and to be riding on your favorite bike right up until the end is about as nice a way to go as any. i'm sure he will be with you in your thoughts forever.

Smiley
07-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Bummer, may he rest in peace.

William
07-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Wow, very sorry to hear of your loss. The cool thing is you helped him get much enjoyment in his life while he was here.

William

firerescuefin
07-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Peter,

Touching story.

I lost the friend that got me into cycling and was my first serious riding buddy 5 months ago to Cancer. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=85117&highlight=eric+schmidt

A similar event nearly took my father in law during a running road race 3 years ago...he was lucky...rushed in for a CAB hours later.

It sounds like that you guys shared a lot of joy, constructed a lot of good memories and made for a good team.

Sincere condolences,

Geoff

Pete Serotta
07-07-2011, 08:29 AM
It is tragic and I truly wish it was different.

Regards PETE