PDA

View Full Version : Athleticism of Young Girls

Sandy
06-28-2005, 08:48 PM
I was walking my daughter's dog Darby this evening and I walked by an elementary school. In it, I saw a bunch of girls practicing basketball, with a couple of male coaches. I was wondering how old the girls were? Were they middle school students? Young high school girls??

I found out that these girls were all 12 and 13 and were on an elite area basketball team. I was amazed at how well they shot (especially foul shots) and how much fundamental skills they had at such a young age. They did some half court scrimmaging, practiced foul shots, a triangle offense, and passing the ball in court from behind the basket.

I was really impressed by their team play, ability to dribble and drive to the basket, throw excellent passes, and shoot really well.

Girls sport development has made remarkable progress in recent years. They have abilities not even touched upon in the years of my youth.

Impressive to say the least.

Sandy

Dr. Doofus
06-28-2005, 10:03 PM
you perv

Ti Designs
06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Doof,

You talking about Sandy's post or the part in his signature about the relationship between animals and humans???

I like 'em young too, but the bit about shooting has me worried, and all that dribbling is a turn-off.

Lifelover
06-28-2005, 10:36 PM
I was walking my daughter's dog Darby this evening and I walked by an elementary school. In it, I saw a bunch of girls practicing basketball, with a couple of male coaches. I was wondering how old the girls were? Were they middle school students? Young high school girls??

I found out that these girls were all 12 and 13 and were on an elite area basketball team. I was amazed at how well they shot (especially foul shots) and how much fundamental skills they had at such a young age. They did some half court scrimmaging, practiced foul shots, a triangle offence, and passing the ball in court from behind the basket.

I was really impressed by their team play, ability to dribble and drive to the basket, throw excellent passes, and shoot really well.

Girls sport development has made remarkable progress in recent years. They have abilities not even touched upon in the years of my youth.

Sandy

Sports for girls is constantly growing in accessibility. At that early age if enough time is spent they are still very competitive with the boys.

I'm all for it as long as it doesn't take away from the time they need to learn to cook and clean properly. :no:

Sandy
06-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Yep and a lot of innate ability.

Sandy

Sandy
06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
You guys are sick in a funny sort of a way. :)

Sandy

toaster
06-28-2005, 10:48 PM
There's a titillating title for a topic, two thumbs up, waaay up!

I love young athletic girls on bikes. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Sandy
06-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Depends upon how young.

Sandy

toaster
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
If they can keep up with me, they're old enough!

Dr. Doofus
06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
probably

ex-college

players

(sandy says

35-year-olds

young chicks)

Kevin
06-29-2005, 05:19 AM
I was walking ...by an elementary school. In it, I saw a bunch of girls.... I was wondering how old the girls were? Were they middle school students? Young high school girls??

I found out that these girls were all 12 and 13 .... I was amazed ....

I was really impressed ....

Girls ... development has made remarkable progress in recent years. They have abilities not even touched upon in the years of my youth.

Sandy

Sandy,

You are a perv. I am a degenerate. :beer:

Kevin

Tom
06-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Tomorrow my 18 year old neice competes in the Cat3 women's field of the Fitchburg Stage Race. Go Alex!

Kevan
06-29-2005, 06:15 AM
remarkable restraint.

But you know what I was thinkin', don't you pal???

William
06-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Ok,

I'm going to that "other" forum now. :D ;)

" I"mmmmmmmm OUT!!!" :D

William ;)

BumbleBeeDave
06-29-2005, 06:40 AM
On a serious note (and trying hard to rehabilitate my image after the Breedlove thread) I think the opportunities available these days for girls in sports are wonderful, compared to years ago when they had so few choices. But it is discouraging to see how few take advantage ofthe opportunities. Even more unfortunately, they are not alone. Go down to the mall and sit there for 15 minutes and see how round and obviously out of shape the majority of people are who walk by you.

BBDave

Skrawny
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Studies have shown that adolescent women who take part in sports are much less likely to be in abusive relationships when they grow. (maby because they can kick a$$)
-s

Ti Designs
06-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Tomorrow my 18 year old neice competes in the Cat3 women's field of the Fitchburg Stage Race. Go Alex!

I'll be there with a few members of the Harvard women's B team in the Cat4 race.

Tom
06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I'll be there with a few members of the Harvard women's B team in the Cat4 race.

I hope you have good fortune and good results this week.

You'll need 'em if you race Williams in the next few years! Exactly when, I don't know, because I am not sure if she's doing a PG year to ski Nordic this winter... last year she converted from Alpine to Nordic and made the JOs. Not bad for somebody who had, in her own words, absolutely terrible technique in the beginning of the winter.

Look for somebody in Cuevas Development kit. I have no idea what kind of results she expects.

weisan
06-29-2005, 01:54 PM
You guys are sick in a funny sort of a way. :)

Sandy

W-E-I-S-A-N-D-Y, aren't you a former high-school math teacher...why are you encouraging these two testosterone-bulging-sex-starved teenagers???!! :cool: