PDA

View Full Version : First real ride with my daughter

Keith A
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
My youngest daughter has turned out to be the one who enjoys doing many of the same things that I do. We ride longboards together, wakeboarding, rock climbing, surf, etc. If it is something physical, she usually up for trying it at least one time. Not only do we do fun things together, but she helps me around the house by assisting with maintaining our yard (including mowing the grass), keeping the cars washed and cleaned, and whatever else needs to be done. I really do love this kid a lot.

She will even sit down and watch bike racing with me :D and she has been talking about wanting to see what it was like to ride a real road bike. She has a mountain bike with slicks on it, but she wanted to try the real thing. So last weekend I borrowed a lady friend's older road bike and we set it up for her during last week and she road it around the neighborhood a little. Then yesterday afternoon I asked her if she was ready for a "real" ride...and off we went. It was only fifteen miles, but it gave her a chance to see what it is like and we had a good time together. It certainly gave her an appreciation for the longer and harder rides that I go on and for what she sees the pros do.

I'm not sure if her interest will last or not, she has so many things that she likes to do...but I would really enjoy having her as a riding companion one day. Did I mention, that I really do love this gal?

AngryScientist
07-05-2011, 01:13 PM
sounds like you've done a good job with the upbringing Keith, and you have a great daughter and friend.

15 miles is an impressive first ride for anyone, good for her!

keep up the good work buddy!

William
07-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a great time! My son like to longboard with me but he hasn't expressed much interest in road bikes yet. But the whole family likes to get some ride time in together (posted earlier today). Nothing like sharing what you love to do with your family. Good on ya there mate. :beer:

William

scoobydrew
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM
That is really great! It's what I hope for when I have kids in the future (and I'm sure what many parents hope for). Sharing the same interests and doing the same activities is a great way to bond.

Maybe it's time for her to get her own Serotta? :D

firerescuefin
07-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Always enjoy those stories...hope to post a couple of my own someday. Too bad they can't be bottled.

Keith A
07-05-2011, 03:19 PM
<snip>
Maybe it's time for her to get her own Serotta? :DThat's what I'm wondering...and trying to gauge her real interest.

soulspinner
07-06-2011, 04:59 AM
You are lucky, keep her interest any way you can. :hello:

rice rocket
07-06-2011, 06:41 AM
That's what I'm wondering...and trying to gauge her real interest.
How old?

If she isn't done growing, it'd be sort of silly to get something as nice as a Serotta.

Also consider that you'll ruin her for life, and she'll never be satisfied with anything cheaper. Or maybe that's ruining you too in the process. :p Start her off slow and have her work up to a Serotta in 10 years or so.

2LeftCleats
07-06-2011, 07:26 AM
It's a nice feeling to have your child riding with you. My daughter watched her older brother racing several years ago and announced, " I want to do that!" And now she is. I've got a small window of opportunity where I'll be able to keep up with her. I enjoy our rides together. She's thoroughly into the culture and quick to point out my glaring mistakes ("Quit half-wheeling me, Dad"). It's difficult to find the balance between responsible parenthood regarding money management and indulging her cycling needs and perceived needs.

SEABREEZE
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
My youngest daughter has turned out to be the one who enjoys doing many of the same things that I do. We ride longboards together, wakeboarding, rock climbing, surf, etc. If it is something physical, she usually up for trying it at least one time. Not only do we do fun things together, but she helps me around the house by assisting with maintaining our yard (including mowing the grass), keeping the cars washed and cleaned, and whatever else needs to be done. I really do love this kid a lot.

She will even sit down and watch bike racing with me :D and she has been talking about wanting to see what it was like to ride a real road bike. She has a mountain bike with slicks on it, but she wanted to try the real thing. So last weekend I borrowed a lady friend's older road bike and we set it up for her during last week and she road it around the neighborhood a little. Then yesterday afternoon I asked her if she was ready for a "real" ride...and off we went. It was only fifteen miles, but it gave her a chance to see what it is like and we had a good time together. It certainly gave her an appreciation for the longer and harder rides that I go on and for what she sees the pros do.

I'm not sure if her interest will last or not, she has so many things that she likes to do...but I would really enjoy having her as a riding companion one day. Did I mention, that I really do love this gal?

Children in a family have different likes and dislikes, as each is different, as it appears you are aware of, the more children you have the more likely one will share your spirit. Enjoy that relationship !!!

Ray
07-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Great story Keith! I have two daughters, one was interested in a lot of the same stuff I was/am - the other not even slightly. Both are in their early 20s now, both turned out to be fine people who really "have their own" as the old song put it. I'm really proud of both of them and love them both overwhelmingly. But one of them, for sure, I had more in common with me than the other when they were kids. We did a lot of rides together, went to a few concerts together, even did a couple of bike tours together. Now she lives on the other side of the country, but she still rides a lot and has gotten around primarily by bike since she first started college. Rides some for recreation but has incorporated it into her transportation system far more extensively than I've ever managed to (and I was a nearly full time bike commuter for the last several years I worked in an office I had to travel to).

Keep having fun with her. Encourage, but don't push too hard - she'll find what she likes and is interested in. And to the extent there's some overlap with your interests, that's just icing on the cake, but the cake itself is her finding her own stuff...

-Ray

old_fat_and_slow
07-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Cool story ! How old is she?

molly47
07-06-2011, 11:58 AM
How refreshing to see a parent enjoy there kids, you here so many negative stories these days, you should be a proud dad keith..

wooly
07-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Nothing better than that Keith. My youngest son is similar. In fact we watched the tour yesterday together. Love it!

bozman
07-06-2011, 01:19 PM
that is cool. my two children are still too young to ride bikes with dad but my son loves skiing with dad. treasure these times.

Keith A
07-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. BTW, she is 16 and just recently got her drivers license :eek: