PDA

View Full Version : lightening a 21 lb serottarapid tour..suggestions please?

canali
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
i'm buying a lightly used 2000 serotta rapid tour, lugged, with stock steel fork
...weighs in at 22 lb (not 21 as subject line states)

trying to make it into a lighter bike for faster club riding (not true racing but just a faster road bike with sport touring geo for centuries, cc riding, club riding/randonneuring...I already have a touring bike).

NOTE 1 yes i do realize the old
'be a lighter rider' truism ...but I also realize a
lighter bike helps out too.

It comes with the following equipment:
mavic ma2 rims
ultegra (triple) 6500 grouppo (crank, brakes, hoods, hubs)
saddle: san marco ponza (so 'ti snot a heavier brooks)

so what would you swap out?
perhaps swap out the fork to a ''woundup carbon''
(since they offer one with eyelets for $450ish ?
http://www.woundupcomposites.com/specs.html

or move to a double vs triple crank to lighten the weight?
...or lighter dura ace or newer ultegra series?

NOTE 2: I do wish to run fenders (lightweight plastic SKS are fine) so need any fork suggestions to have mounts.

trying to lighten up without breaking the bank.

Louis
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Probably not what you're looking for, but I've always figured that as long as I'm not below 12% body fat I can't really ask my bikes to loose any weight if I'm unable to myself.

That being said, fork and wheels...

Ahneida Ride
07-05-2011, 11:20 AM
To start: a Serotta S3 fork.

fiamme red
07-05-2011, 11:24 AM
trying to lighten up without breaking the bank.Get out your drill and go wild. :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4742233037_2a73edb725_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2583/4030962120_9815f34dfb_o.jpg

AngryScientist
07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
wheels and fork are probably the most substantial places to lose weight.

Ken Robb
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
The stuff that's on the bike is good and I think if you'll calculate weight differentials for those components vs. what you might replace them with you'll find it be difficult to save significant weight without changing the character of the bike. The RT I rode had steel fork w/eyelets for fenders. I don't know if you can find a carbon fork with eyelets.

One of my bikes weighs 22 lbs. and another weighs 19 lbs. They both have 32 hole Open Pros. The only time I notice the weight difference is when I lift them up to the ceiling hooks. Since I weigh 200 lbs I guess 3 lbs. is too small a percentage of overall vehicle weight to be significant for my riding.

The easiest thing to try would be to borrow some really light wheels and see how they work for you before spending a lot of $$$.

christian
07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Congrats on the RT. That's a great bike.

I've found the easiest way to lose weight on the bike is to eat less and pedal up hills a lot. Seriously, I wouldn't sweat the weight. My MXL weighs almost 2 pounds more than my Pegoretti, heck, my MXL weighs as much as that RT, and it isn't slowing me down most days.

bicycletricycle
07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
leave the fork alone. IMHO

wheels, crank/bb, tires

rdparadise
07-05-2011, 12:50 PM
If you're motivated significantly to drop the weight of the bike, I would say replace the steel fork with a canti-bossed model. I've seen a few around, including this one:

http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/ec70-x

This is an Easto EC70-X. It includes the bosses and the eyelets for almost $100 less then the woundup. There are others out there as well, google them and you'll be surprised. Swapping the fork out could save a pound or more.

Secondly, the triple to double would cut about 1/4 lb. Not sure that's a huge difference or even worth the effort. The expense of this trade is typically over $300-400 bucks so I wouldn't do it myself.

Finally, check the saddle, if it's a Brooks you're planning on they weigh a lot, even the ti railed models. I ride Brooks on all my bikes, however, I could easily lose a pound if I chose something less significant.

The rest of the grouppo I would leave in tack. No reason to change unless you really are a weight weenie. Just sayin.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Bob

dave thompson
07-05-2011, 12:52 PM
My suggestion, since you asked, would be to ride the bike as it is for the remainder of the season. You may find that it will suit you quite well the way you get it. Then, you will be able to make much more informed decisions as regarding weight loss.

IMO saving just a few pounds (bikewise) may cost much more than you think.

The RT is a terrific bike but it's purpose-built. You may be trying to make a sows-ear from a silk purse.

woolly
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
I second the motion for keeping the fork that was designed to work with the frame.