PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Mavic Ksyrium SL

leno
07-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium SLs. They do have some miles on them. There is a clicking noise in the rear hub. It only happens when I am pedaling. Is it not the high pitched or grinding noise I have seen others talk about. My LBS looked at the free hub and cleaned it, but it did not fix the problem. Any thoughts? Is it time for me to reach for the wallet?

Charles M
07-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Insect the rim for cracks at the spoke bed at the niples and along the side. Pull the freehub body and Inspect the hub inside and out and at the spoke heads.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2011, 08:57 AM
I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium SLs. They do have some miles on them. There is a clicking noise in the rear hub. It only happens when I am pedaling. Is it not the high pitched or grinding noise I have seen others talk about. My LBS looked at the free hub and cleaned it, but it did not fix the problem. Any thoughts? Is it time for me to reach for the wallet?

Lindseed oil where the spokes enter the rim and hub..look closely at the plastic bushing at the base of the FH body, may be cracked or just worn(not tight fitting on the hub 'stub'..oil well.

leno
07-18-2011, 04:21 PM
On top of this the other day they started screaming and vibrating. These wheels don't owe me a thing. replaced them. Problem solved.

trangalang
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
What year are they? I am also experiencing a similar problem with my rear wheel but it's recently been on and off.

oldpotatoe
07-19-2011, 07:48 AM

I'll bet the FH is worn out. Just did this yesterday. I'll bet that even tho the lockring is tight, the FH/cogset wobbles side to side. Replace the FH is my idea.

Birddog
07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
To cure the screaming, (only happens when coasting right?) pay a visit to the Hub Doctor. Google him, he sells a kit for about $10 that cures the screaming that occurs on several different Mavic wheels.