PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with the forum this morning

rugbysecondrow
07-05-2011, 09:57 AM
After a great weekend, I see this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=92924

Sometimes I really like this place, other times I truly don't. Regardless of what you believe, some of you put your bad side on display for absolutely no reason but to be contrarians. Some of you should be ashamed of your juvinile display.

It is sad that a simple thread post, without solicitation, was able to draw out what it did. I hope nobody posts a Merry Christmas thread lest it be challenged by those who should know better.

eddief
07-05-2011, 10:02 AM
it has always been that way here. take the mostly good with the bad. when i take it personally then i know i have too much invested.

Matt-H
07-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'm with you, Paul. The maturity and civility I typically enjoy here can evaporate quickly at times...

phcollard
07-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah I was disappointed as well. The OP just wanted to convey a happy 4th of July. Just joy and fun. And I believe that anyways God Bless is used by everyone these days. I mean it's even in the Urban Dictonnary.

Some are easily offended. Time to go out and ride instead :)

Cheers to all Americans and others! A great day to you all :beer:

Matt-H
07-05-2011, 10:08 AM
it has always been that way here. take the mostly good with the bad. when i take it personally then i know i have too much invested.

Thanks, Eddie, I like it.

William
07-05-2011, 10:10 AM
http://sanjaydhir.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/3296260975_eed1998eca.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU

William :)

Joachim
07-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I think she just found a great deal on the forum! :beer:

Ray
07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I thought the thread's initial sentiment was fine. And then people started using it for both anti-god and pro-God sentiments and I thought both sides were out of line and ridiculous. And the mods were right to close the thread. Which was too bad based on how innocent and uplifting the original point of it was...

We got to the point where we couldn't even discuss politics very civilly on this forum - does anyone really think we'd do a BETTER job with religion???

-Ray

Lifelover
07-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I think your expectations might be a little high. The "forum" is just a bunch of folks that like to spew thier own opinions.

Even decent people do/say amazingly stupid things at times. History has shown that Germans seem to do so more than others. They are only out gunned in this area by people from Virginia Beach :D

rwsaunders
07-05-2011, 10:56 AM
It was a great 4th...the Pirates are 1.5 games back and they are playing .518 ball. :beer:

We were at the game yesterday and the significance of the Bucs success this year was diminished when they announced the attendance, and the fact that 1 in 3 fans in the stands...+/- 11,000 were either former or active duty service members. They received the appropriate applause from the fans as well as the players.

I hope all enjoyed the weekend.

William
07-05-2011, 11:03 AM
...Even decent people do/say amazingly stupid things at times. History has shown that Germans seem to do so more than others. They are only out gunned in this area by people from Virginia Beach :D

Hey, I'm of German decent and I know we can say nice things to you all. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6mndRtsS88)

William :)

RPS
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I thought the thread's initial sentiment was fine. And then people started using it for both anti-god and pro-God sentiments and I thought both sides were out of line and ridiculous. And the mods were right to close the thread. Which was too bad based on how innocent and uplifting the original point of it was...

We got to the point where we couldn't even discuss politics very civilly on this forum - does anyone really think we'd do a BETTER job with religion???

-Ray
IMO the flaw with closing too soon is that moderators can be easily manipulated into closing any thread anyone doesn’t like by simply introducing a PC angle.

There has to be a better way to resolve differences between relatively civil men.

Gummee
07-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Between that and the hand-wringing when Phil said something not in today's PC speak, I agree with the OP.

What is it the dog people say? Wag more, bark less. Fantastic sentiment.

M

firerescuefin
07-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I think your expectations might be a little high. The "forum" is just a bunch of folks that like to spew thier own opinions.

Even decent people do/say amazingly stupid things at times. History has shown that Germans seem to do so more than others. They are only out gunned in this area by people from Virginia Beach :D

LL...I have heard you say this a couple of different time...and I respectfully disagree.

I have spent hours on the phone with a forum member trying to sort through a physical injury that I had gone through as well. He is on the mend.

I had a forum member offer me a vacation home for use when learning I was traveling to that area of the country.

I gave a quick call to a forum member last night who was having problems with his headset and we narrowed it down to a compression plug problem...solved.

I have placed some WTBs and had stuff sent to me gratis. I have received numerous PMs of encouragement and good will.

Perhaps each person gets out what they put in.

Charles M
07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
We don't get a lot of lingering hostility here because we cut the "*****" so to speak... When you let crap like that go, it ALWAYS bleeds over to other stuff.

I like that we nip crap like that in the bud. In fact, we shoulda deleted the thread so threads like this don't make em live on.

I think this place is better on the whole because the ton gets kept positive.

Tough for trolls to live where there are no bridges...

To burn.

witcombusa
07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
What ever happened to 'no politics, religion or sex" ?

Can we concentrate on steel/plastic, downtube/brifter and racing/real world?

More than enough to discuss under the cycling umbrella :beer:

avalonracing
07-05-2011, 11:24 AM
There has to be a better way to resolve differences between relatively civil men.

Isn't that why dueling pistols were invented?

znfdl
07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I think that the forum should be agnostic and leave it at that.

e-RICHIE
07-05-2011, 11:35 AM
http://relationshiparts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Pogo-We-have-met-800wi-196x300.jpg

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :rolleyes: ;)
:cool: :rolleyes: ;)
:p ;) :o

avalonracing
07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I think that the forum should be agnostic and leave it at that.

Is that Agnostic with a capital "A"? ;)

BTW- Great finish to the Tour today. No one should be disappointed with great coverage of great bike racing!

yodelinpol
07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
bump

Ken Robb
07-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Tough for trolls to live where there are no bridges...

To burn.
This made me laugh and it's so true. :beer:

Pete Serotta
07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
see other note, have a glass of red tonight, and drop by.

A Merry Christmas or many others are welcome BUT no personal attacks or polar statements will be needed or wanted :crap: :crap:

PETE :beer:

witcombusa
07-05-2011, 11:54 AM
If many here may happen to be god fearing people, that does not in fact make it the only perspective in the Serotta forum world. Jumping on a member who does not believe the same thing as you does not make his comments wrong. Many of you perhaps think your view is the only one :confused:

jimcav
Isn't that why dueling pistols were invented?

i was reminded of the movie Bruno (skip it, it was mainly awful) but there was a funny scene (ATMO) where he tries to broker Mideast peace and is talking about "why would anyone hate hummus" (when it is hamas)

at least we can agree it is healthy

yodelinpol
I think I dislike this thread more than the the one it makes reference too.

jimcav
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I think I dislike this thread more than the the one it makes reference too.

???

Pete Serotta
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
it can most times be the only view that is correct for all.

If many here may happen to be god fearing people, that does not in fact make it the only perspective in the Serotta forum world. Jumping on a member who does not believe the same thing as you does not make his comments wrong. Many of you perhaps think your view is the only one :confused:

All, please lets move on.....THANKS

palincss
07-05-2011, 03:54 PM
And I believe that anyways God Bless is used by everyone these days. I mean it's even in the Urban Dictonnary.

There's even a song by that name... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ArRTsaYY44
And one good song deserves another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUjr8EVgBg

Some even put these two together in a medley.

Karin Kirk
07-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Even decent people do/say amazingly stupid things at times. History has shown that Germans seem to do so more than others.

Wow, seriously? Ouch.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-05-2011, 05:13 PM
:beer: If many here may happen to be god fearing people, that does not in fact make it the only perspective in the Serotta forum world. Jumping on a member who does not believe the same thing as you does not make his comments wrong. Many of you perhaps think your view is the only one :confused: