PDA

View Full Version : The fireworks just started . . .

false_Aest
07-04-2011, 11:21 PM
and I'm sitting in my living room remembering hearing gun/mortar fire just over a year ago in Baghdad. I'm a little jumpy right now.

I wasn't in any real dangerous situation. I was well protected and taken care of (putting our tax dollars to work). But its strange to go to sleep with gunfire in the background and to get used to it within 48 hours.

So while my neighbor is outside drinking and setting off fireworks in his driveway I'm thinking about the guys that have even more reason to jump.

It's a strange tradition . . . fireworks. A strange thing to glorify and "bedazzle" technology designed to kill.

I dunno. Right now I just feel a little guilty. A little complacent.

I wonder why I didn't feel this way last year.

gasman
07-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Thank you for serving. I suspect most people would feel jumpy given what you were exposed to. It is a funny tradition that most people seem to like except if you have seen the real thing. Guilty would be a pretty normal reaction I think and feelings change over time.
I hope you have someone to talk to.

rice rocket
07-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for your service.

And my dog totally sympathizes with you. Between the storms and the fireworks today, I honestly don't know if she'll ever be the same. :( I've never seen her this fearful hours after.

Germany_chris
07-05-2011, 01:29 AM
and I'm sitting in my living room remembering hearing gun/mortar fire just over a year ago in Baghdad. I'm a little jumpy right now.

I wasn't in any real dangerous situation. I was well protected and taken care of (putting our tax dollars to work). But its strange to go to sleep with gunfire in the background and to get used to it within 48 hours.

So while my neighbor is outside drinking and setting off fireworks in his driveway I'm thinking about the guys that have even more reason to jump.

It's a strange tradition . . . fireworks. A strange thing to glorify and "bedazzle" technology designed to kill.

I dunno. Right now I just feel a little guilty. A little complacent.

I wonder why I didn't feel this way last year.

It takes a while, It's been 5 years for me but I still get disturbed just less so now. The VA has (a) some good information and (b) folks you can talk to when needed even if it's just on the phone. I've never left the shelter of the Army so these programs are alway in front of me if you need info I can get you anything you need and scan it and email it to you.

false_Aest
07-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Oh poop,

I didn't mean to imply that I was in the military. I was actually working with the State Dept and Ministry of Energy. Major apologies for that.

I guess that's why its even more strange to me that stuff like this is bothersome. I mean, I was in Baghdad for a relatively short time and was, as I mentioned, really well protected. I just can't imagine what must flash through some vets brains when they hear fireworks or whatever.

bzbvh5
07-05-2011, 08:52 AM
I think I know why we do fireworks - tradition! I know the whole fireworks thing seems a little silly, but here is what John Adams had to say about Independence Day.

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever.

SamIAm
07-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I think I know why we do fireworks - tradition! I know the whole fireworks thing seems a little silly, but here is what John Adams had to say about Independence Day.

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever.

I like it. Freedom has become devalued by those who have never had anything else.

firerescuefin
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I like it. Freedom has become devalued by those who have never had anything else.

Lived in the Balkans for 3 years....middle east for 1.5 years. I have never appreciated my citizenship more. Became friends with Croatian national (former Yugoslavia)...one day he was looking at my passport, he asked me if I knew how lucky I was to have "this passport"...he had lost his home,2 family members, and a number of friends in the Bosnian conflict. I was going to answer yes...but told him "probably not"....good reality check.

Dekonick
07-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Lived in the Balkans for 3 years....middle east for 1.5 years. I have never appreciated my citizenship more. Became friends with Croatian national (former Yugoslavia)...one day he was looking at my passport, he asked me if I knew how lucky I was to have "this passport"...he had lost his home,2 family members, and a number of friends in the Bosnian conflict. I was going to answer yes...but told him "probably not"....good reality check.

I wish more Americans appreciated what we have. As to the OP, there is something special about watching fireworks in Baltimore. Something about 'the rockets red glare' referring to congrave's rockets being fired from British war ships assaulting Fort McHenry and the resulting poem turned national anthem.

I love my country. Every US citizen should study civics and world history to gain an appreciation of what we have created in this melting pot we call the USA.

Please give this a quick look - refresh your memory http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

Democracy had its birth in the USA... I don't think you will find too many people who don't want to live in a democratic country...

Think I am going to go for a run... (wish I had time for a ride...)

:)

jblande
07-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Democracy had its birth in the USA...

your civics book might beg to differ.

avalonracing
07-05-2011, 01:05 PM

What!? But it was just approved by the Texas Board of Education...

zap
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Democracy had its birth in the USA... I don't think you will find too many people who don't want to live in a democratic country...

Several 100 million or so do not want to live in a democracy.

Germany_chris
07-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Several 100 million or so do not want to live in a democracy.

+1

flydhest
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
let's be careful with politics. National mythology is politics.

Germany_chris
07-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Oh poop,

I didn't mean to imply that I was in the military. I was actually working with the State Dept and Ministry of Energy. Major apologies for that.

I guess that's why its even more strange to me that stuff like this is bothersome. I mean, I was in Baghdad for a relatively short time and was, as I mentioned, really well protected. I just can't imagine what must flash through some vets brains when they hear fireworks or whatever.

You probably should still talk with someone about it, probably someone you were there with..If it still sticks and still makes you nervous it's time to talk. Bombs, rockets, mortar, and bullets are traumatic whether shot at you or around you.

Remember service members have the equipment and training to deal with those things as best as possible. You didn't..you went from home to a war zone not enviable.

Dekonick
07-05-2011, 02:36 PM

MODERN democracy - not referring to the Greeks etc...

I realize that the french had their revolution... The Greeks started representation, etc... but in a modern sense the development of the constitution and relationship of states to a national government, balanced government with oversight via the three branches of govt, etc. Say what you want, but those several hundred million who don't want to live in a democracy have never had one... so they really are uninformed. Just my opinion.

Chad Engle
07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Just home from my in-laws place at the lake, small sandpit kind of thing, so you're never too far from the beach when you're on the water. I was driving the boat, pulling the kids on a tube and someone set off one of those things that just goes BOOOM! No oooohs and aaaahs, just BOOM. We called them M-80's when I was a kid.

Anyway, it was just as loud as any IED that was used on our convoys. I've been home for 8 years and out of the military for 7 years and it still really scared me. Not just surprise but fear for your life. It passes quickly but it's real. I don't think that will ever go away.

I still love the 4th of July. 4 July 03 I was on a mission hauling fuel to BIAP. Our Platoon Leader, very young female Lt. gave us a little speech before we rolled out that morning, she nailed it.

After we downloaded the fuel we went to the Burger King trailer and had french fries and chocolate pie. The convoy bringing them supplies didn't make it so they were out of hamburger. Best fries I ever had. :)

The 4th brings it home to me even more than Vet's Day or Memorial Day, in a good way. Hope you all enjoyed a safe and happy one!!