PDA

View Full Version : Merryland riders: anyone familiar with Port Deposit?

Ken Lehner
06-28-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm planning on doing a triathlon from Perrysville whose bike leg goes through Port Deposit on Susquehanna River Road (222). The course description says there is a 7 1/2% grade climb at this point (coming south, I gather). My question is how long a climb is this? I'm wondering if I want something more than a 39/21.

TimB
06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Ken,

Unless the route stays tight along the river, you'll likely be well served by something lower than a 39/21 unless you're a big-gear masher. I've not done rides exactly in that area, but a bit further west, and many times was happy to have my 39/26.

This might help - coming south on 222, see the loop out from the river at Port Deposit? That's likely your climb.

Ken Lehner
06-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Ken,

Unless the route stays tight along the river, you'll likely be well served by something lower than a 39/21 unless you're a big-gear masher. I've not done rides exactly in that area, but a bit further west, and many times was happy to have my 39/26.

Isn't "further west", like, in the Chesapeake?

The route says it is following 222. Topozone shows that the hill occurs when going inland on 222 in Bainbridge. Looks to be about a half mile of steep before it flattens out. Anyone actually been on it?

Seeing as the bike is 27 miles of mostly flat to rolling, I'd like to have as narrow a gear selection as possible to make sure I can have the correct cadence as much as possible.

TimB
06-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Nope, further west is just the other side of the river in MD.