PDA

View Full Version : Paris-Brest-Paris?

Kirk Pacenti
07-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Anyone here participating in this years event?

Cheers,

KP

JLP
07-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm in. First time. I rode the Cascade 1200 last year, but I can't wait to ride PBP. I'll be riding with some experienced guys.

gone
07-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm not riding it but know a lot of people who are. Bon route to all of them.

roydyates
07-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm in. If all goes well, it will be my first 1200k.

I thought there were more randonneurs lurking around here?

Louis
07-04-2011, 10:55 PM
how many hours do you have to do the 1200k?

roydyates
07-04-2011, 11:03 PM
how many hours do you have to do the 1200k?
90 is the maximum. Some people choose to sign up for the 80 hour or 84 hour time limits.

Louis
07-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Wow, that's one heck of large % of your time on the bike over four days.

A few days ago I rode a few miles with a guy who had just done a 600k the previous weekend.

Mind over body.

Best of luck guys.

palincss
07-05-2011, 05:39 AM

A few days ago I rode a few miles with a guy who had just done a 600k the previous weekend.

Mind over body.

Best of luck guys.

I think at that mileage level, the body had better also be on board, or it won't be happening.

veloduffer
07-05-2011, 07:03 AM
90 is the maximum. Some people choose to sign up for the 80 hour or 84 hour time limits.

Didn't know you were aiming for this one. Which bike are you using?

Bon chance, mon ami! :beer:

roydyates
07-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Didn't know you were aiming for this one. Which bike are you using?

Bon chance, mon ami! :beer:
I was actually tagging along on a buddy's longterm plan to ride PBP, but the buddy had to drop out. In any event, I'm riding the CSI cross bike acquired here on the forum last summer. I've got it set up for randonneuring with the Schmidt hub, the edelux light, the mini front rack, an Acorn boxy front bag and 28mm Conti GP 4 seasons.

JLP
07-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey Roy,

I see you are from central jersey. Ron and Barb - on the tandem - are friends of mine. I'm looking forward to seeing them in Paris. Joe

R2D2
07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm in.

Rodyates I may have ridden the 400K with you in NJ a month ago.
I got good and lost for a while.

I'm sure you must know Ren up in those parts???

veloduffer
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I was actually tagging along on a buddy's longterm plan to ride PBP, but the buddy had to drop out. In any event, I'm riding the CSI cross bike acquired here on the forum last summer. I've got it set up for randonneuring with the Schmidt hub, the edelux light, the mini front rack, an Acorn boxy front bag and 28mm Conti GP 4 seasons.

If I recall that when we rode (and I was on my Serotta cross), you were looking at cross bikes. I didn't think you'd do PBP on your Colnago. :)

roydyates
07-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm in.

Rodyates I may have ridden the 400K with you in NJ a month ago.
I got good and lost for a while.

I'm sure you must know Ren up in those parts???

I've ridden (and gotten lost) with Ren once or twice. I rode the NJ 400K in 2010, but not this year. This year, I rode the PA 400K but had a family commitment for the NJ 400. My riding buddies Shane Beake and Jud Hand both did the NJ 400 this year.

srice
07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm not riding it but know a lot of people who are. Bon route to all of them.

Thanks Greg. I hope the knee is getting better.

Not the Slowest
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Last time the weather in France was brutal. Cold RAIN Cold RAIN Cold RAIN.
For what it's worth double check your rain and cool weather gear.

I knew almost 8 able bodied riders who went from NYC area and of those 5 Dropped between the 50 and 70% mark.

I think there is a 600K this weekend out of Englewood, NJ. I did part of it a few weeks back in Sullivan county. Very pretty route and as usually very hilly.

Good Luck all

fiamme red
08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
One of the best forum threads ever: The Bikes of PBP 2007 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32380).

If you're going to Paris, good luck, and please post some photos of bikes and riders here when you get back.

palincss
08-12-2011, 12:36 PM
One of the best forum threads ever: The Bikes of PBP 2007 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32380).

If you're going to Paris, good luck, and please post some photos of bikes and riders here when you get back.

When those photos appear, I'll bet we'll see a lot more LED headlights and far fewer E6's -- if any at all. Probably see a bunch more Selle AnAtomica and Berthoud saddles compared to Brookses, too.

It was interesting reviewing that 2007 thread. A bit sad, too, seeing so many once-familiar names who have dropped off the radar since then. I hope they're out there somewhere, OK and still riding, just too busy to spend time here.

goonster
08-12-2011, 01:40 PM
When those photos appear, I'll bet we'll see a lot more LED headlights and far fewer E6's -- if any at all. Probably see a bunch more Selle AnAtomica and Berthoud saddles compared to Brookses, too.
I'd like to stress, as I did in the original thread, that those pictures are not representative of the majority of bikes at PBP. Really, only a minority of U.S., U.K. and French riders are on what you and I would consider a "proper" rando bike. That subset may perhaps be growing, but the rest of the bikes will reflect more the current trends in road race bikes.

Apropos Selle Anatomica . . . R.I.P. Tom Milton, who finished PBP '07 on a bamboo Calfee.

fiamme red
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd like to stress, as I did in the original thread, that those pictures are not representative of the majority of bikes at PBP. Really, only a minority of U.S., U.K. and French riders are on what you and I would consider a "proper" rando bike. That subset may perhaps be growing, but the rest of the bikes will reflect more the current trends in road race bikes.I guess that most of the "proper" rando bikes are ridden by Americans and British, and that very few continental Europeans ride anything other than race bikes.

goonster
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I guess that most of the "proper" rando bikes are ridden by Americans and British, and that very few continental Europeans ride anything other than race bikes.
Yes, and the notable exception would the tiny (in relative terms) contingent of French randonneurs on bikes by classic (Herse, Singer, et al) and contemporary (e.g. Berthoud) marques.

rudetay
08-12-2011, 02:01 PM
I'll be there, frame number 4598!

Second 1200k, but first PBP and first time in France!

goonster
08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Last time the weather in France was brutal. Cold RAIN Cold RAIN Cold RAIN.
France did not get the order to cease and desist. Absolutely terrible weather at PBP this year. It may let up eventually, but it sounds like the storms today were much worse than anything we had in '07.

Send some positive thoughts out to the friends and fellow forumites slogging their way through Brittany right now.

There are also reports of a fatality at the event. No real details or ID available yet, but my heart goes out to a family that has suffered a terrible loss.

gone
08-22-2011, 08:30 PM
France did not get the order to cease and desist. Absolutely terrible weather at PBP this year. It may let up eventually, but it sounds like the storms today were much worse than anything we had in '07.

Send some positive thoughts out to the friends and fellow forumites slogging their way through Brittany right now.

There are also reports of a fatality at the event. No real details or ID available yet, but my heart goes out to a family that has suffered a terrible loss.
I have five friends doing PBP, all second timers. I've been thinking of them all day and hoping they're having a good ride.

Like you, my deepest sympathies to the friends and family of whomever was killed.

retrogrouchy
08-30-2011, 08:40 PM

Mind over body.

Best of luck guys.

Jan Heine completed it in 52 hours, 45 minutes. Basically, four days to go 750 miles. Yowsah. I saw some times as low as 48 hours.

goonster
08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Good VN article, with some excellent photos here (http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/08/news/feature-paris-brest-paris-the-ultimate-event_190550)

sg8357
08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Good VN article, with some excellent photos here (http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/08/news/feature-paris-brest-paris-the-ultimate-event_190550)

Jan Heine is rider 1900

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/08/news/feature-paris-brest-paris-the-ultimate-event_190550/attachment/s-9

Just think how much faster he would have been on a "proper race bike" :)