PDA

View Full Version : Chris King headset came lose - any way to fix it by hand?

dd74
07-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Darn hard L.A. roads seems to have loosened up my headset. I don't have any task-specific tools of note to tighten it, other than, it appears, opposable thumbs?

It loosened right where the steerer meets the top of the frame. It looks like there is where it would be pushed in with a press, I think.

Any suggestions as toward how I can fix it until I visit my LBS Tuesdays?

Thanks.

ultraman6970
07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
U have to start telling us what Chris King headset are u talking about, thread less? threaded? 1 inch? 1-1/8???

So far the only one who could know that 100% is you.

dd74
07-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Oops! Yes, threadless.

Louis
07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Can't you at least get some Allen wrenches?

dd74
07-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Yep. I have those. Then what? You'll have to excuse me; I'm not too mechanically inclined. :crap:

Louis
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Park Tool Site (http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/threadless-headset-service#adjust)

Headset Adjustment - Threadless Type

Threadless headsets work on the same principal as threaded headsets. The bearing races need to press against the bearings. The bolt in the top cap will put pressure on the stem, which presses on washers below the stem, which press on the bearing races, which press against the bearings.

NOTE: The cap and bolt at the top of the stem do not secure the stem onto the steering column. The bolt or bolts on the side of the stem keep the stem from moving once the adjustment is made. The cap is used for bearing adjustment only.

Begin by removing the adjusting bolt in the center of the steering column. Next, remove the top cap. There may be a star-shaped nut or other fittings inside the steering column. The bolt threads into this fitting and pulls on the fork against the headset bearing surfaces, which acts to tighten the adjustment. Note the height of the steering column relative to the stem. It should be about 3mm (1/8") below the level of the stem. The stem needs to press down on the spacers in order to adjust the bearings. If the steering column is level with the top of the stem, another spacer is needed below the stem.

1. Remove bolt and top cap to inspect steering column. Lubricate adjusting bolt and re-install cap and bolt by hand only. DO NOT TIGHTEN.
2. Loosen stem bolt(s) that secure stem to the steering column. Lubricate these bolts if they are dry. NOTE: DO NOT LUBRICATE INSIDE STEM OR ON STEERING COLUMN SURFACE.
3. Wiggle the stem side to side to see that it is loose. If the stem is jammed or rusted frozen to the steering column, no adjustment can be made.
4. Align stem straight to wheel and gently secure the top bolt. Stop when any resistance is felt.
5. Tighten stem bolt(s).
6. Check for play by pulling back and forth on fork. Turn the handlebars in different directions while checking for play. There may be play at this early setting. Use care when grabbing suspension forks, because the legs may have play. Grab upper portion of fork.
7. To adjust bearings, LOOSEN STEM BOLT(S).
8. Turn adjusting bolt in center cap only 1/8th turn clockwise.
9. Secure stem bolts, check for play again.
10. Repeat adjustments as above until play disappears. Remember to loosen stem bolts before turning adjusting bolt in cap.
11. Check alignment of stem and tighten stem binder bolts fully.

NOTE: Another test of play is to place the bike on ground and grab the front brake tightly. Press downward on the handlebars and rock the bike forward and back. A knocking sensation may indicate a loose headset. In effect this does the same thing as grabbing and pulling on the fork. However, play in the brake caliper arms may also cause a knocking. Front suspension forks may also have play in the legs, which can cause a knocking.If the adjustment seems very tight, there may be other problems in the headset. Bearing surfaces may be worn out, or the ball bearing retainers may be upside down, or a seal may be improperly aligned. If play always seems present no matter the adjustment, the steering column may be too long for the stem and top cap. Add spacers beneath stem in this case.

dd74
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Anybody?

dd74
07-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Yes, I tried to adjust the bolt. There's still some play there. Thanks for the article, though.

Louis
07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Yes, I tried to adjust the bolt.

There's more than just one that needs to be adjusted.

Did you go through all the steps, or did you just tighten the top bolt? (Which would not be enough)

dd74
07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I removed the cap, then tightened the star-shaped bolt. Funny thing is that bolt doesn't go down through the entire steerer. It seems as if it's there only for something for the cap to screw into. In short, because the bolt doesn't go down through the steerer tube, I don't see how it can tighten or loosen the headset and the fork.

dd74
07-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes, I went through the steps - three times.

dd74
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Okay, I checked out the King website. It's the Griplock bearing cap that's come lose.

You can see it on this Chris King web page. Click on 1 1/8th headtube under "find your fit."

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_nts

It's there that the play is occurring.

Louis
07-03-2011, 09:58 PM
In short, because the bolt doesn't go down through the steerer tube, I don't see how it can tighten or loosen the headset and the fork.

There's supposed to be a gap between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem/bottom of the headset cap. If the stem bolts have been loosened the bolt that goes through the cap pulls up on the steerer tube to load/adjust the bearings which happens as the steerer tube tries to move up due to the force applied by the bolt. If there is no gap then the top of the steerer will bottom out on the bottom of the cap and not tighten the bearings. That bolt doesn't need to go all the way down the steerer, it just pulls up at the top. You then tighten the stem bolts to keep everything in place.

uno-speedo
07-03-2011, 11:00 PM
is it april 1st?

cmg
07-04-2011, 12:02 AM
the top cap bolt applies pressure to the outter rings (spacers) that applies pressure to the top cap of the headset, the top cap will apply pressure to the wedge split ring. this puts pressure on the top bearing while pulling up the steerer which will make the fork crown race at the bottom of the fork apply pressure to the bottom bearing. Just turning the top cap bolt will not tighten the headset. you need to loosen the stem bolts then tighten the top cap bolt and if the star nut or steerer expansion bolt has'nt slipped it has a chance of retighting.

dd74
07-04-2011, 12:09 AM
There's supposed to be a gap between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem/bottom of the headset cap. If the stem bolts have been loosened the bolt that goes through the cap pulls up on the steerer tube to load/adjust the bearings which happens as the steerer tube tries to move up due to the force applied by the bolt. If there is no gap then the top of the steerer will bottom out on the bottom of the cap and not tighten the bearings. That bolt doesn't need to go all the way down the steerer, it just pulls up at the top. You then tighten the stem bolts to keep everything in place.
Okay, I understand that. What I don't understand is how it could have come loose. I'm going to look at it again and see what's up. I tightened everything as much as possible, and it's still loose. Nonetheless, thanks for all the help. :beer:

dd74
07-04-2011, 12:11 AM
is it april 1st?
Only if you want it to be.

DRietz
07-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Is the cup of your headset coming out of the frame?

Is the top cap of your headset bottoming out on the steerer before it fully tightens? If so, add a spacer on top of the stem.

Otherwise, take pictures.

ultraman6970
07-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Probably he needs a spacer?

dd74
07-04-2011, 02:21 AM
I don't have any spacers available. I think CMG gave some good advice, and will try his out. And thanks to the members who PM'd me offering their assistance.

I'll update you as to what comes of my...er...trial and error with Mr. King's headset. :)

vqdriver
07-04-2011, 02:28 AM
I removed the cap, then tightened the star-shaped bolt....

Was this an actual star shaped nut that's been stuffed down there or an expanding wedge that you could tighten? If the former, there should only be threads in the center so I'm not clear on what it is you tightened. If the latter, I haven't seen a star shaped one.

Either way, heres whatcha do-

1 do the above that I quoted from your previous post. Make sure that thing won't move up the steerer
2 loosen the bolts holding the stem to the steerer.
3 Try pushing the stem to the side, it should spin somewhat freely around the steerer
4 REPLACE that cap from step 1 and tighten it down until the stem is not as easy to spin around the steerer. Not super tight, just enough so that you feel more resistance when you attempt step 3 again. If you cannot get it tight enough remove the cap and add a spacer on top of your stem then repeat this step.
5 I normally tighten another 1/8 to 1/4 turn here but that's up to you
6 straighten out your stem and tighten the bolts from step 2

If you cannot get enough pressure in step 4 then it's pointless to proceed.

If you do the above (and in that order) and its still loose wait til Tuesday and take it to a shop.

dd74
07-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Was this an actual star shaped nut that's been stuffed down there or an expanding wedge that you could tighten? If the former, there should only be threads in the center so I'm not clear on what it is you tightened. If the latter, I haven't seen a star shaped one.

Either way, heres whatcha do-

1 do the above that I quoted from your previous post. Make sure that thing won't move up the steerer
2 loosen the bolts holding the stem to the steerer.
3 Try pushing the stem to the side, it should spin somewhat freely around the steerer
4 REPLACE that cap from step 1 and tighten it down until the stem is not as easy to spin around the steerer. Not super tight, just enough so that you feel more resistance when you attempt step 3 again. If you cannot get it tight enough remove the cap and add a spacer on top of your stem then repeat this step.
5 I normally tighten another 1/8 to 1/4 turn here but that's up to you
6 straighten out your stem and tighten the bolts from step 2

If you cannot get enough pressure in step 4 then it's pointless to proceed.

If you do the above (and in that order) and its still loose wait til Tuesday and take it to a shop.
Cool! Thanks vq. I'll try this in the morning. I'm a bit burned from trying to figure out *** happened.

Much appreciated.

dd