PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Parigi-Roubaix...how in the hell do you mount these things?

kohlboto
07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Okay, so I drank the Challenge Kool Aid and picked up a pair of Parigi Roubaix clinchers. Unfortunately, I have been trying to mount these things onto my A23 rims for the last 45 minutes or so and I can't even get it started. This has easily been the most frustrating event of my cycling home mechanic career...I think I have met my match. Any tips out on how to defeat the anti-christ known as the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix?

tuscanyswe
07-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Ive heard this twice recently now but i dident have any issues putting my pair on some open pros and i usually swear alot putting any new tire on :)

I dont think they are smaller than any other tire just more friction sidewalls.

The friction of the sidewall is pretty bad so if you dont strech the tire for every piece of the tire that goes on to the rim there is no way the friction will let you stretch much at all if you try to do it all at the end.

Wilkinson4
07-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I cursed these on my torelli master rims. Best bet is a var tire lever or a tire jack, a good lbs should have one. Kook stop makes it.

Tire Jack (http://vimeo.com/9173348)

mIKE

kohlboto
07-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Ive heard this twice recently now but i dident have any issues putting my pair on some open pros and i usually swear alot putting any new tire on :)

I dont think they are smaller than any other tire just more friction sidewalls.

The friction of the sidewall is pretty bad so if you dont strech the tire for every piece of the tire that goes on to the rim there is no way the friction will let you stretch much at all if you try to do it all at the end.
The problem I'm encountering is that they are so flat and its unusually difficult to achieve that friction you're talking about

tuscanyswe
07-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes i remember mine were flat aswell and dident really have the round tire shape at all but that sorts itself out once its onto the rim.

You can always try some flour to lessen friction if that becomes a problem.

I just took a firm grip pushing / stretching the tire on with bodyweight mounting it from the top going down to the floor.

kohlboto
07-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I cursed these on my torelli master rims. Best bet is a var tire lever or a tire jack, a good lbs should have one. Kook stop makes it.

Tire Jack (http://vimeo.com/9173348)

mIKE
hey Mike
thanks for the link. I think I may need one of those.
cheers
Jay

Wilkinson4
07-03-2011, 03:50 PM
I gave up on mine too. Bloody fingers with those tires and master rims... I worried though since they tend to flat easily that if I did I would be in a jam so swapped em out with other tires.

The master rims are problematic though. I think once you get em on and the tires stretch you should be ok.

mIKE

ultraman6970
07-03-2011, 03:55 PM
That thing rocks, u avoid pinching the tubes aswell. Remember pedro or var had one that was pretty small also, sadly is not in manufacturing any more.

merckx
07-03-2011, 07:04 PM
They are a sob to mount, and flat easily. Always a good time on the side of the road in the rain.........

Kevan
07-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Be thankful you're not attempting to install those tires on Campy rims. I have scars.

kevintice
07-04-2011, 06:18 PM
For the first time mounting, a tire jack like the KoolStop makes it easy. These tires stretch, and now I can fix a flat easily with no tools, just my fingers. I think the initial hassle is worth it, cuz these tires roll so nicely. Stick with it. You'll be glad.

kohlboto
07-17-2011, 08:55 AM
The struggle was worth it as they look fantastic. Finishing the build today/this evening...maiden voyage Monday. Thanks for all the tips and info.
cheers
Jay

Dave B
07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
That looks sharp!

Well done!

soulspinner
07-17-2011, 02:49 PM
The struggle was worth it as they look fantastic. Finishing the build today/this evening...maiden voyage Monday. Thanks for all the tips and info.
cheers
Jay

Bike looks great :beer:

spamjoshua
07-17-2011, 03:18 PM
I have a set of these tires coming my way, and have been following leads regarding the VAR RP42500 Tyre Pliers.

I have not found them for sale yet, but the Kool Stop levers look great.

I look forward to a ride report.

Cheers,
Joshua