PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-03-2011, 04:36 AM
OK, so I'm going to lose my tubular cherry and have my next build set up with tubulars. Never had them, rode them, dealt with them etc. Can I get essentially a basic, tubular 101. How to mount/ dismount them. How to repair a flat, etc. Any help and info is greatly appreciated. oldpotatoe?

Gothard
07-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Find Tootall across the hall (or do a search here for his name) he is one of the strongest apostles of tubs.
They are worth it btw.

happycampyer
07-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Agreed. Also, search here for Too Tall and/or 11.4 and tubular, as well as oldpotatoe. There's a wiki on vsalon re gluing tubulars by Mike Zanconato. Tons of sage advice in the archives.

gearguywb
07-03-2011, 06:00 AM
When I made the switch I spent a lot of time reading. Tons of good info here and across the hall.

If you are going tubular for the road, glue is so 1980...:)

marle
07-03-2011, 07:09 AM
I follow the simple procedure provided by Continental in their tubular tire packaging.

Alternatively you can read 104 pages --

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72309

ultraman6970
07-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Sincerelly is cheaper to run tubulars that run clinchers. U can get good tubulars at 3x50 bucks versus a good clincher like a schwalbe can go for 60 to 90 bucks each plus the price of the tubes that u have to get good ones also, 8 bucks each.

Obviously u can go to expensier tubulars but so far 3 x 50 bucks, for that price those tubulars are excellent.

Never put too much air to a tubular, thats like a balloon u know, personally 85 to 100 is ok, that a tubular says can go up to 140 doesnt mean u have to do it ok? always remember, tubular is like a balloon. I'm old ok? so i'll give another old guy advice... if you are not going to use the wheels just take the pressure out like 50 % because the fibers tend to expand and again... balloon effect. I learn this the hard way 30 years ago.

Good luck.

oldpotatoe
07-03-2011, 07:23 AM
OK, so I'm going to lose my tubular cherry and have my next build set up with tubulars. Never had them, rode them, dealt with them etc. Can I get essentially a basic, tubular 101. How to mount/ dismount them. How to repair a flat, etc. Any help and info (feel freee to PM or email me, itsbeeahnkee at gmail dot com) is greatly appreciated. oldpotatoe?

Buy 3 tires, I like Conti Sprinters. Stretch them on an old rim(you can use a clincher rim, BTW), pump them up to max, let set..got a warm garage? that's good.

Get a can of tubie glue(I like Panaracer) and a solvent/acid brush. I use my truing stand for the wheel, pump a wee bit of air into the tire, it'll turn 90 degrees, lay that on the bench. Use a piece of emery paper, rub the rim a bit, clean with acetone.

Little goes a long way, glue wise. Light coat of glue, base tape, side to side. Glue the tire, then the rim, then the tire, then the rim, then the tire.....LIGHT coats. stop....when the glue on the tire isn't sticky, stick to you fingers(about 10-15 minutes or so), light coat on the rim.

Grab the tire(air out), rim now on the floor in front of you, valve into rim hole, push with hand there around valve, and while pulling down hard on the tire each side pull tire around rim, grab tire sidewalls and pull over rim at the very bottom. Wee bit of air into tire, center tire, roll tire on the ground, pushing down(this is realy hard to describe, can you come to Boulder to watch??)...air come more, let sit for 24 hours...

Do the same thing to the third tire, as far as gluing goes, and that's your spare.

Enjoy the wonderful tubular ride, better than any clincher and better than tubeless(less mess, IMHO as well.)

fogrider
07-04-2011, 01:47 AM
+1 on the contis. as some has said, don't over inflate them. depending on how much you're planning on spending, get the carbon rims...reyonlds T32s.

gauvink
07-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Look up what 11.4 has to say on tubulars. If you listen to anyone let it be him.

jerome
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Conti 4000 : 8 000 km average - 1 flat every 15 000 or so.

The only tubular used by pro with which a team can make the Tour with a very few flat that you can count on your fingers.
Not the more efficient I will convey.

Put them on a spare rims inflate for a few weeks before gluing them it will make things easier.

Vittoria glue for me

wooly
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
OK, so I'm going to lose my tubular cherry...

That made me laugh. I've straddled the wall on tubies as well but have seriously thought of buying a set.

false_Aest
07-05-2011, 07:20 PM
You'll figure out (like i did) that once you do it, it's really no big THANG.

Vittoria Corsa CX are dope but not dope when the road is wet. I went from podium to almost last on the final lap of San Dimas this year due to the slippy (Yes, I just broke out the Pittsburgheese) nature of them tiars.

Louis
07-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I wish I could do a blind taste test:

OP's with PR3s vs Reflex with Conti Competitions.

(in each case a basic rim + a very good tire)

You could even throw in a tubeless to add variety.

1) Could I tell the difference between the three?

2) Could I tell you which one I prefer?

I haven't a clue, since I haven't had a chance to try my tubulars nor my tubeless wheels.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Same here. I'd love to see if the difference between Veloflex Paves on Record/OP's, (running that set-up now) is really that different from, let's say Reflex's with Veloflex tubulars.I wish I could do a blind taste test:

OP's with PR3s vs Reflex with Conti Competitions.

(in each case a basic rim + a very good tire)

You could even throw in a tubeless to add variety.

1) Could I tell the difference between the three?

2) Could I tell you which one I prefer?

I haven't a clue, since I haven't had a chance to try my tubulars nor my tubeless wheels.

flydhest
07-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Same here. I'd love to see if the difference between Veloflex Paves on Record/OP's, (running that set-up now) is really that different than, say Reflex's with Veloflex tubulars.

My experience at having swapped out Record/OPs and Paves with Chorus/Reflex and Veloflex Carbons is that there is a difference, but that it is not the life-altering, religious experience that it would have been 20 years ago. I think the ride is better with the Carbons, there is a bit more bounce or liveliness or whatever one might call it. The cornering is subtly different to me.

If you are in DC, we can work out a test. Swap a few times during a ride.

crankles
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
binxnyrwarrsoul, i know your rolling paves. get some tubulars of the same. i run the 27mm myself but the 25mm are nice too. and you'll be able to settle the whole clincher/tubby debate for once and forall...given similar wheelsets;-)

happycampyer
07-13-2011, 04:14 AM
Same here. I'd love to see if the difference between Veloflex Paves on Record/OP's, (running that set-up now) is really that different from, let's say Reflex's with Veloflex tubulars.binx,

I can assure you that the Carbons are smoother than the Paves. If you're not too far away, you should swing by and we can go for a test ride.

gearguywb
07-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Pave's are great tires, particularly when the roads get ugly or become dirt but they are not the "best feeling" ride out there.

happycampyer
07-13-2011, 06:16 AM
I think he's referring to the Veloflex Pave, and not the Vittoria Pave. The Veloflex Pave (now with a 320tpi casing) is a 22mm road tire that is the best-riding clincher I have ridden. I agree that the Vittoria Paves are good for rough roads etc. but aren't the smoothest riding tire.

thwart
07-13-2011, 07:34 AM
The Veloflex Pave (now with a 320tpi casing) is a 22mm road tire that is the best-riding clincher I have ridden. 1+

Downside... I get about 1K miles out of my rear tire. It's hilly here, so more climbing = more weight and therefore wear on the rear, but durability isn't a strong suit.