PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Recommend steel cyclo cross frame

stephenmarklay
07-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I want a swiss army bike so to speak. A cyclocross with a low BB (70+)
Maybe a single speed even. An old Lemond Poprad would be nice or anything along those lines.

Any thoughts? Many of the CX bikes are using a higher BB and I will do more road and dirt road than single track so I prefer a more road bike drop.

Thanks so much

Stephen

roguedog
07-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Hmm. besides a custom like a Hampsten, I might take a look at the Salsa Vaya.

Sounds like you don't necessarily want a CX but more of dirt capable road bike? Not sure what "swiss army bike" means to you but that's what it'd mean to me - a bike that I can take on some dirt, or throw on fenders on for commuting but still have some reasonable "roadiness."

William
07-02-2011, 09:36 AM
If custom is an option, I like Mike....Zanconato that is. He can set you up with with a ride that will do the trick. Many other fine choices as well.

William

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Bianchi, if you can find one, with the Chromo-Lite frame, was Deda tubing, I believe. Depending on what size, they do come up on wheezbay every now and then. I had one, BB height was a bit low for a CX, and the fork barely cleared 700/30 tires, but was damn sweet.

markie
07-02-2011, 10:08 AM
The surly cross check is the real swiss army knife.

Or you could go monster cross and get a salsa fargo or a singular peregrine.

Or you could go classy and get a Rivendell quickbeam. Maybe even ab IF planet X....

Or cheap and get a bianchi San Jose. Which are surprisingly great, too.

All of the above will make great rides.

Bruce K
07-02-2011, 10:56 AM
+1 on Mike Zanconato for custom.

I believe I have the first single speed cross bike that he built.

Mike has built a TON of cross bikes. They are quite common in the Northeast and fairly common in the Northwest.

Also don't forget Kelly Bedford.

BK

Peter P.
07-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Gunnar Crosshairs.

beungood
07-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I was just thinking I needed a similiar bike. I didn't just want a cyclocross but something versatile that maybe I could convert to fixie sometime or light camping with ability to throw on racks. Chris Ingleheart has a new model he calls Trail poacher that is suitable for D2R2 style rides with the ability to take wider tires and paragon drop outs. The price is also pretty affordable.

William
07-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I was just thinking I needed a similiar bike. I didn't just want a cyclocross but something versatile that maybe I could convert to fixie sometime or light camping with ability to throw on racks. Chris Ingleheart has a new model he calls Trail poacher that is suitable for D2R2 style rides with the ability to take wider tires and paragon drop outs. The price is also pretty affordable.

I forgot about you mentioning that. That could work well. Also, Neil's Gunnar Crosshair is pretty nice too.

William

Gummee
07-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Gunnar Crosshairs.+1

Own one. Great all-rounder. Not so much as a race bike tho. Probably do you just right.

M

bigbill
07-02-2011, 12:03 PM
+2 on the Crosshairs. Roadbike-like handling. I use one as a commuter. If you intend to ride roads and gravel, mini-V brakes are a good way to go.

beungood
07-02-2011, 12:43 PM
At my bike fitting, the owner was showėng me his Cyclocross bike built by Chris Chance and said je thought Chris Ingleheart was the one who made the 3 segmented fork. It was a neat looking steel fork.

mgd
07-02-2011, 12:45 PM
curtlo's are cool. full custom.

Birddog
07-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Take a look at the SOMA DoubleCross. Eyelets for fenders and racks, disc or canti options. Not the lightest steel out there, but arguably better tubes than the Surly. I've had mine on some pretty gnarly single track (where it didn't belong) but still managed to get by. It's great for fire roads and easy singletrack. Will take at least a 35, I run 32's.

Bruce K
07-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Totally forgot about Christopher Iglehart.

Cool guy. Cool bikes.

And right around the corner from me. :crap: :crap: :crap:

BK

William
07-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Totally forgot about Christopher Iglehart.

Cool guy. Cool bikes.

And right around the corner from me. :crap: :crap: :crap:

BK

I've crossed wheels with him before! :o ;) :)

William

stephenmarklay
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
WOW -Thanks so much for all of the great ideas. I am going to research each one of these suggestions.

I had a Surly cross check (one of the first) but sold it as it was a 56 and I am better on a tad larger frame. I really liked the bike. I would set it up a bit different.

You all have it right. More of a dirt road, around town, maybe some spirited runs and hell maybe a century or two. I did that all on my Surly.

I raced last year and sold my bike this year as my hip was bothering me and I had to step away from the race mentality... But a cross will keep me spinning and who knows maybe back to racing.

Again thanks so much. I have always like a Crosshairs so I will check out the geometry.

I could also go, as suggested, more of a road bike that can fit large tires. I kinda do want I bike I can treat as a road racing training bike if I go back that way again.

Aaron O
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't have much (or any) experience with other steel cross ex bikes, but I can tell you that I absolutely love my Poprad - I have the Platinum OX model and adore it.

stephenmarklay
07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I have always heard good things about the Poprad.

dbh
07-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Budget is key. If the sky's the limit, go custom with a Zanc as was mentioned or a Strong. Lots of folks can build you a dirt road bike for the$. If you're more budget minded, Gunnar may be the way to go. You can still get custom geo if you need it. I ride a cross check and it's a tank. Great utility ride, but with its gaspipe tubing, not something that's fun pushing up dirt road hills.

fourflys
07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
for non-custom, Gunnar seems to be the best value... for custom that won't break the bank, check out Rock Lobster (http://www.rocklobstercycles.com/) ... Paul is a great guy to work with and has been doing for a LOT of years...

BengeBoy
07-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm currently intrigued by the Vaya from Salsa, w/disc brakes.

If I had the $$ I'd like to have a Vaya Ti, outfitted here for dirt road/gravel road racing:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/bikes-and-tech/and-now-for-something-completely-different-nick-legan-takes-on-the-dirty-kanza-200_172454/attachment/salsas-vaya-ti-is-ready-for-the-dirty-kanza-200-even-im-not

W/fat tires it can do dirt roads and trails; with lighter wheels and fenders can do wet-weather riding; with racks it can be used for touring...

saab2000
07-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Hard to argue against Mike Zanconato. I don't know what his wait times are at the moment, but he 'gets it'. And my regular road bike will take 28mm Ruffy Tuffys just fine. Having him spec it with cantilevers or spacing for longer brakes would probably not be an issue. And fender mounts should be possible too if desired.

I have a road bike from him and it's one of the best bikes I've ever had. At home on the paved roads, descents and climbs. Not the lightest, but that's not the point. (and it's not heavy either. Very competitive for a steel bike - probably 19 lbs or so) It's got great feel. I rode it hard in the mountains of Virginia and I think the best compliment I can give any bike is that for the 6 hours of the ride over paved roads and rough gravel roads I never once considered the bike. It just does what it's supposed to do. It disappears beneath me, letting me concentrate on the ride.

He sort of specializes in 'cross bikes and I'm sure with his experience he can make you a pure road bike or a pure cross bike or something in between.

I would not hesitate to give him a call.

The pic is with 25 mm tubulars, but I have tried it with the Ruffy Tuffys and they fit fine at all points. This is just after the VA ride and I had the pump strapped on to stop the rattling and I installed the 25 for the steep hills.

fourflys
07-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Hard to argue against Mike Zanconato..

good to see you back around here Saab... :beer:

fourflys
07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
just saw this new blog post... looks just like what you are looking for...

http://rocklobstershop.blogspot.com/

saab2000
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
good to see you back around here Saab... :beer:

Never left. Just spreading myself around a bit. And working more. Today I have off work.

Rode (the Zank) this morning. Drinking beer in the afternoon.

fourflys
07-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Never left. Just spreading myself around a bit. And working more. Today I have off work.

Rode (the Zank) this morning. Drinking beer in the afternoon.

just hadn't seen you posting here for a while it seemed... maybe I just didn't frequent the same threads... ;)

henry14
07-02-2011, 03:56 PM
This Rawland Drakkar has kinda piqued my interest lately. Columbus tubing. Cool fork crown. Disc brakes.

http://www.rawlandcycles.com/store/index.php?strWebAction=item_detail&intItemID=3878

brook_63
07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
the Lobster..

they are amongst the best there is, and his prices are more than fair for the ride you get..

Ken Robb
07-02-2011, 08:08 PM
It sounds like many of Rivendell's bikes would work for you. Almost all of them will take at least a 700x35mm tire. A used Romulus, Rambouillet, Atlantis or one of the new ready-mades.

Sheldon4209
07-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Check out the Co-Motion cross. I believe it has a lower bb. They have other models that might work for you. Nice tig welding, nice paint and reasonably priced. www.co-motion.com

Scott Shire
07-02-2011, 09:25 PM
RITCHEY SWISS CROSS!!!!!
Old or new. The new one should be here in about a month and will retail ~$1300 f/f

You might take a look at the All City Nature Boy (http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy1/). Internal cable routing, removable canti studs, brazed on seat collar, bi plane fork crown, lugged fork ends, Hennepin Bridge dropouts, can be built SS/Fixed/Geared (internal hub), 45c tires iirc. $850 complete so if you hated it it'd be ok!
They're also about to get fancy with a limited edition Zona-tubed model...
http://allcitycycles.com/images/sized/images/bikes/f4478cd008584923ea65e48d9be644bf-678x406.jpg

Milwaukee Bicycles/Ben's also offers a Waterford-made Cross frame (True Temper Verus) for $525
Link (http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2082_1038&products_id=6136&zenid=47bf2afacee390eec5e10c978d)

fogrider
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
for non-custom, Gunnar seems to be the best value... for custom that won't break the bank, check out Rock Lobster (http://www.rocklobstercycles.com/) ... Paul is a great guy to work with and has been doing for a LOT of years...
+1 on Rock Lobster. I have one and its a great ride. Paul is a fixture at local cross races. the one thing about cross bikes...I would go disc brakes.

fourflys
07-02-2011, 10:49 PM
RITCHEY SWISS CROSS!!!!!
Old or new. The new one should be here in about a month and will retail ~$1300 f/f

paying for the name/history IMHO... you can get a US/Waterford made Gunnar for the less money or a custom Rock Lobster for a couple hundred more...

I'm sure it's a fine bike, but it's not much different than a Giant TCX/CaadX/??? from Taiwan... agian, not a bad bike but not sure its worth $1300... but whatever floats your boat...

fogrider
07-03-2011, 12:14 AM
paying for the name/history IMHO... you can get a US/Waterford made Gunnar for the less money or a custom Rock Lobster for a couple hundred more...

I'm sure it's a fine bike, but it's not much different than a Giant TCX/CaadX/??? from Taiwan... agian, not a bad bike but not sure its worth $1300... but whatever floats your boat...
??what are you trying to say? which is it? I can say that I notice a difference, but thats just me...I'm at a point where life is too short to ride bikes that don't ride well...but giant does build some nice bikes. haha...

rugbysecondrow
07-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Dekonick and I both have had Bedford build similar all around bikes that fit the bill, great all arounders. Carl strong builds them as well.

I have a surly travelers check that I really like, same as the cross check but with couplers. I have one setup as a ss now and it is a great bike. If you travel at all, go the coupler route.

oldpotatoe
07-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Maybe a single speed even. An old Lemond Poprad would be nice or anything along those lines.

Any thoughts? Many of the CX bikes are using a higher BB and I will do more road and dirt road than single track so I prefer a more road bike drop.

Thanks so much

Stephen

http://www.gunnarbikes.com

Custom Gunnar(maybe for the BB drop), hard to beat.

Dekonick
07-03-2011, 08:11 AM
If custom is an option, I like Mike....Zanconato that is. He can set you up with with a ride that will do the trick. Many other fine choices as well.

William

Is he building? I thought he was in medical school.

jmeloy
07-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Budget is key. If the sky's the limit, go custom with a Zanc as was mentioned or a Strong. Lots of folks can build you a dirt road bike for the$. If you're more budget minded, Gunnar may be the way to go. You can still get custom geo if you need it. I ride a cross check and it's a tank. Great utility ride, but with its gaspipe tubing, not something that's fun pushing up dirt road hills.
with a Zanc or a Strong. Rode my new Strong "Dirt Road" yesterday on a mix of rough asphalt and gravel and had a blast. Has a lower BB and is as smooth as glass.

stephenmarklay
07-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I certainly wish my budget were a little larger :) Super nice bike sir.

The Gunnar does look to be about the closest bike that fits the bill and they now have a disc version of the crosshairs.

I am intimidated doing custom as I really have not clue what would be "good" for me. I bought my first and only Serotta (Colorado CR) from a good bike shop (cycles by kyle.) I took all of my measurements etc and after riding it for a few years I went to a 58 specialized which was a lot better fit. So I am not sure I would end up better off that way again.

Bruce K
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Mike Zanconato has been back building bikes for over a year now.

I think medical school is either on hold or has become a part time pursuit.

BK

jghall
07-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Zanc, Strong, and Desalvo come to mind. Wouldn't mind a RS too.

fourflys
07-03-2011, 09:42 PM
??what are you trying to say? which is it? I can say that I notice a difference, but thats just me...I'm at a point where life is too short to ride bikes that don't ride well...but giant does build some nice bikes. haha...

not sure if you know, but the new Swiss Cross is going to be a production Taiwan tig-welded bike... NOT hand brazed by TR....

agian, I'm sure it will be great for what it is but IMHO not worth $1300 for a f/f only when you can get something not production for about the same amount...

just my .02...

buldogge
07-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Here's my custom filet brazed S3/OX Meech dirt road/all-rounder, similar can be had for the same price as the Ritchey above:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=91063

Only change I might make if I was going to do a lot of heavier gravel/washboard would be full s-stays instead of the monostay I spec'd...

-Mark in St. Louis

PacNW2Ford
07-04-2011, 09:41 AM
not sure if you know, but the new Swiss Cross is going to be a production Taiwan tig-welded bike... NOT hand brazed by TR....

agian, I'm sure it will be great for what it is but IMHO not worth $1300 for a f/f only when you can get something not production for about the same amount...

just my .02...

Well, I like Waterfords and Gunnars as well (own two, sold one), but a Gunnar is a production TIG-welded frame too and a Crosshairs with a painted-to-match WCS fork is going to run you $1,415. Custom would be $1,765. And just because something is made in Taiwan, doesn't mean it is coming off an assembly line. When Ritcheys were built in Japan, they were handbuilt by Toyo.

Kirk Pacenti
07-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Hard to go wrong with anything previously mentioned. If I were in the market for a CX frame it would be Rock Lobster, Brent Steelman or Steve Rex.

Cheers,
KP

fourflys
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Well, I like Waterfords and Gunnars as well (own two, sold one), but a Gunnar is a production TIG-welded frame too and a Crosshairs with a painted-to-match WCS fork is going to run you $1,415. Custom would be $1,765. And just because something is made in Taiwan, doesn't mean it is coming off an assembly line. When Ritcheys were built in Japan, they were handbuilt by Toyo.

well, I guess it's all in what you want... I just know a Gunnar is a proven cross frame... not sure on the new Swiss Cross yet... maybe it's a great bike, hard to say yet...

OP- I would look at the Salsa Vaya (discs) as well and maybe even the new Casseroll as it looks like it might be a VERY capable dirt road bike (could use Mini-V's)... although I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the Salsa Classico tubing is comprised of...

stephenmarklay
07-12-2011, 07:02 AM
It looks like I am getting a Lemond Poprad. I have heard a lot good about this bike and I like the geometry. It is also $650 for a full bike in very nice shape. I just can't get a lot better than that for what I am looking for. I like the gunnar a lot but I can get 2 decent bikes to ride for the price.

AngryScientist
07-12-2011, 07:05 AM
It looks like I am getting a Lemond Poprad. I have heard a lot good about this bike and I like the geometry. It is also $650 for a full bike in very nice shape. I just can't get a lot better than that for what I am looking for. I like the gunnar a lot but I can get 2 decent bikes to ride for the price.

i've also heard nothing but good things about the Poprad. enjoy, and get some pics up when you get a chance.

93legendti
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks so much

Stephen
As a low cost option, a Salsa Casseroll, while not a dedictaed 100% cx bike, can't be beat.

dawgie
07-12-2011, 11:22 AM
As a low cost option, a Salsa Casseroll, while not a dedictaed 100% cx bike, can't be beat.

Funny you should mention that ... Here's a photo of my Casseroll with 32 mm Ritchey Pro Cross Max tires taken while riding on the New River Trail in SW Virginia.

93legendti
07-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Funny you should mention that ... Here's a photo of my Casseroll with 32 mm Ritchey Pro Cross Max tires taken while riding on the New River Trail in SW Virginia.
I like that color! Mine is the rotten mustard color...:(

stephenmarklay
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I did get the Poprad I was looking at. I have heard positive things about the bike, and I like the low bottom bracket for road duty. I paid $700 shipped (625 for the bike) and most decent frames are that much or more (gunnar) etc.

This is a bike that will get used -not a garage queen. I will get some of the TRP linear brakes for it and a seat as well as swap the bar/stem. Nice shape over all (a bit of scratches on the non drive chain stay) and I am very happy with the purchase.

I am going to put it on the rollers tomorrow and see how it climbs the alpe d'huez along with the big boys :)