PDA

View Full Version : Modern Frame Recommendations...

buldogge
07-01-2011, 06:07 PM
So, my wife wants to start riding on "longer" rides with me...theoretically.

I think the best way to hold her attention is to make it as painless as possible. I would like to build something up with decently light weight...something unlike all the "old steel" that I ride! ;)

She already has a nice vintage mixte for cruising to the park with the family, and has done 30 mile rides with it...but...it is heavier and has SS fenders (PITA for the roof rack).

So...What should I be looking for? I want to keep this cheapish...need a F/F/HS only. I already have a Veloce gruppo sitting here and plenty of wheels.

Aluminum?
Carbon??
Ti???

I measured her mixte and it has a virtual 53cm TT...she's 5'7"ish.

Thoughts, recommendations, offers (by PM) :D ???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

1happygirl
07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Serotta, of course!!!

And check out Specialized. I like things that start with S.

rice rocket
07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Specialized Roubaix maybe? Or I guess the women's version is called the Ruby, the geometry is only very slightly different (.5 deg on the HT, 3mm on the TT in the size she'd ride).

They put more effort into making (or marketing) a smooth rolling "endurance road" bike than anyone else.

eddief
07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
or whatever the girl version is of the bike.

super modern.

I own custom steel with carbon fork, steel with steel fork, coupled steel with steel fork...and a newish Roubaix S-Works. I know often the new one gets all the attention, but I am going overboard on my new Roubaix = new bike love.

i almost feel guilty for how much energy i have put into steel, tradition, lugs, curved forks. i said almost. but i am more than surprised by my joining the roubaix glee club.

light, compliant, comfy geo, corporate. what else could you want.

either people don't like em or they have sold a zillion cause ebay always has about 25 up for auction.

1happygirl
07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Specialized Roubaix maybe? Or I guess the women's version is called the Ruby, the geometry is only very slightly different (.5 deg on the HT, 3mm on the TT in the size she'd ride).

They put more effort into making (or marketing) a smooth rolling "endurance road" bike than anyone else.
Word!!!! :hello:

What I'm saying :beer:

Specialized Ruby.Smooth as Buuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttrrrrrr

Pete Serotta
07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
By a good fitter. Smiley would be excellent. Then ultegra or higher shimano and a compact crank. Frame by many, such as Bedford, Kirk. Ellis or the colorado serotta or compact ti would be good choices.
I do not know size weight ride characteristics, etc but the above are all excellent Low profile rims and Ultegra are my traveling choice

I would not recommend aluminum becausebof general ride and most off the shelf carbons ride stiff

Pete

ultraman6970
07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Ridley and BMC have a female frame also. Maybe a pink or red street racer if you can find one?? Nobody wants to sell them so are hard to find.

Good luck.

Ken Robb
07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
can a person buy just a frame/fork from Specialized?

ultraman6970
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I think the OP should look for the super offer CC got yesterday about a pinarello full built like for 1200 bucks or something like that. Even a Willier Iozard for 1600 bucks is an excellent deal.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2010-pinarello-fp1-shimano-105-complete-bike-9925.html

FP1/Shimano 105 Complete Bike Price: $1199.00 (Was $2000.00)

Bad luck with the pinarello the 54 size will be too long for her. But for 1200 bucks is a steal.

vqdriver
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
here ya go.

and it's only a buck!! :banana:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Ruby-Elite-54cm-/130539069207?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item1e64bc1f17

rugbysecondrow
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM
By a good fitter. Smiley would be excellent. Then ultegra or higher shimano and a compact crank. Frame by many, such as Bedford, Kirk. Ellis or the colorado serotta or compact ti would be good choices.
I do not know size weight ride characteristics, etc but the above are all excellent Low profile rims and Ultegra are my traveling choice

I would not recommend aluminum becausebof general ride and most off the shelf carbons ride stiff

Pete

Great advice, what I did for my wife:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=92735

rnhood
07-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I will have to toss another vote towards the Specialized Ruby recommendation, as it is smooth, handles with ease, and light as a feather (comparatively speaking). A pleasure to ride also.

There are many other bikes that will likely meet your needs, so look around some, and test ride when you can. Serotta used to market bikes with what they called "rapid tour" geometry and I'm sure they can build your wife one - and of course it would be special not to mention perfectly fitted to her. If you can afford this route, its certainly one to consider.

Ti Designs
07-01-2011, 08:16 PM
By a good fitter.

This may be the only piece of advice I agree with - not knowing the rider in question...

Then ultegra or higher shimano and a compact crank.

Is the assumption that the whole world can't get up a hill without gearing down to the point where moths and earthworms pass you? Get a compact crank if you need one, based on your strength and the hills in your area, otherwise going faster is more fun.

Really, if you want to bring her into the sport, take the time to bring her into the sport and stop focusing on the bike (I know, I can get kicked off this forum for saying stuff like that). My girlfriend rides a Bridgestone RB2, which a number of people have expressed interest in. My girlfriend is NOT one of the people who is interested in what sort of bike it is - if you ask her she'll probably say it's purple and yellow. She was far more interested in learning how to ride, enough so to take my pedal stroke class over the winter. Her commute is 28 miles each way, and she enjoys the ride, so I guess she's embraced the sport. What's more, because I'm the one teaching her to ride, our style and pedal strokes are closely matched which makes us a better tandem couple.

My suggestion on the bike is one with two wheels, air in the tires and a color she likes - how's that?

buldogge
07-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanx for all the recommendations so far.

A few points:

The bike will wear a Campy Veloce group I have sitting here regardless of what is hanging on it when I get it...I don't do Shimano.

I could care less about current bike trends, other than my brand new custom steel bike my other newest bike is a 2000...most are 85-95...although I do like to hang Campy 10s on them.

I have both compacts and 53/39s...the Veloce happens to be a compact.

She isn't focused on the bike at all, I am trying to find the path of least resistance...not in a perfect world, but in the real world. Lighter weight/modern components will make her life easier (and therefore mine).

I'm sure she would prefer a bike that she like the looks of..but...that is not gonna happen with modern, so be it.

I can pick up a vintage frame in her size and build it up...but, given I have to buy something...In this case, I would rather spend the money on modern.

Having said that, I'm not willing to spend (new) Serotta/Seven/Bedford/etc. money.

I would like to find a $500 frameset. Some of these Rubys could be decent buys after selling off the Shimano bits and wheels (always a pain though).

vqdriver...I have that one in my sights already...thanx.

rugby...No custom here...I don't love her enough for that. ;)

ultraman...Too much dough. If I could find a complete $800 or $900 bike and sell the bits off, sure.

Thanx again,

-Mark

This may be the only piece of advice I agree with - not knowing the rider in question...

Is the assumption that the whole world can't get up a hill without gearing down to the point where moths and earthworms pass you? Get a compact crank if you need one, based on your strength and the hills in your area, otherwise going faster is more fun.

Really, if you want to bring her into the sport, take the time to bring her into the sport and stop focusing on the bike (I know, I can get kicked off this forum for saying stuff like that). My girlfriend rides a Bridgestone RB2, which a number of people have expressed interest in. My girlfriend is NOT one of the people who is interested in what sort of bike it is - if you ask her she'll probably say it's purple and yellow. She was far more interested in learning how to ride, enough so to take my pedal stroke class over the winter. Her commute is 28 miles each way, and she enjoys the ride, so I guess she's embraced the sport. What's more, because I'm the one teaching her to ride, our style and pedal strokes are closely matched which makes us a better tandem couple.

My suggestion on the bike is one with two wheels, air in the tires and a color she likes - how's that?

maunahaole
07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Buldogge - given your criteria, I'd look for an older Litespeed or Merlin ti frame or something similar. It will probably be a 1" hs frame, so you would best look for frame and fork. Light enough, smoothy comfy ride and good road manners. Out of style for a number of reasons, so the prices may be affordable. Should be lots of choices in the size that you need.

buldogge
07-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I think finding Ti frame would be great as well...My Sampson Z7 came in this price range after I sold off the bits...plus I have a couple 1" CF forks lying about.

Good suggestion/reminder...

Thanx,
-Mark

Buldogge - given your criteria, I'd look for an older Litespeed or Merlin ti frame or something similar. It will probably be a 1" hs frame, so you would best look for frame and fork. Light enough, smoothy comfy ride and good road manners. Out of style for a number of reasons, so the prices may be affordable. Should be lots of choices in the size that you need.

Louis
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I agree that Ti is a good choice for this.

I think cost and brand will be a function of how much time you have. It you're willing to wait, then the perfect frame at the perfect price will show up eventually. If you're in a bit of a rush then the perfect frame might be a bit more expensive.

Now's a nasty time to start doing long rides in St Louis anyway. Have it ready after all the hot weather is gone and she'll be set.

fogrider
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
this looks like a few bucks more than you wanted to spend, but when you consider all the parts on this bike, its a killer deal! but it would help if you were in the bay area...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2473041987.html

eddief
07-01-2011, 11:18 PM
can a person buy just a frame/fork from Specialized?

They usually have their two top end models; the Pro and S-Works available from dealers as framesets. And show them on their website that way too.

And many sellers on CL and ebay make the lower end ones available that way too.

false_Aest
07-02-2011, 12:01 AM
***?!?

Go to a freakin bike shop.

Figure out what she fits on and, more importantly, what she likes.

It's hard to ride a bike you're not super stoked on. And (I'm sorry if this sounds sexist...and it might not be your wife...but too many girls I know haven't wanted to ride ______ bike because it didn't look good to them) this seems to happen more with women than men.

bah!

apparently i didn't ride enough today and the epoxy fumes from gluing headset inserts into carbon tubing is gettttttttttting to meeeee.

Olmo
07-02-2011, 12:07 AM
With women I always recommend a custom builder. Someone like Waltworks, Curtlo, or even Habenero can put you in a custom bike for less than a grand.

When I fit bikes the thing that always reappears is that most bikes have a top tube that is much too long for women for the correct size. I size road bikes to the drops with a neutral length stem (not short/long). It is pretty difficult to find a manufactured bike that positions most women comfortably. The handlebar height is just significantly too low, by about 6cm. Moving to a bigger bike, even by a couple of cm creates other issues with the top tube becoming too long. The problem is that too many women listen to their male cycling friends regarding what fits, and after they are told they are on a properly fitting bike they determine that cycling just isn't comfortable for them. So they stop riding.

I see well over fifty percent of the women forced onto poor fitting mens bikes giving up on cycling. So I always advise custom. Just my two cents.

buldogge
07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
*** are you talking about?

I'm not looking to buy a new bike, and I will double check her fitting myself tomorrow.

I already noted that she has a vintage bike that she is comfortable riding with a 53cm virtual TT.

As far as aesthetics (you're a photographer...right?)...we'll deal with function over form this time around. She will be stoked by riding something that works and provides a good ride...we're not old, but we're old enough to be rational.

Thanx for the useful input though...hope you have a better day tomorrow!

-Mark

***?!?

Go to a freakin bike shop.

Figure out what she fits on and, more importantly, what she likes.

It's hard to ride a bike you're not super stoked on. And (I'm sorry if this sounds sexist...and it might not be your wife...but too many girls I know haven't wanted to ride ______ bike because it didn't look good to them) this seems to happen more with women than men.

bah!

apparently i didn't ride enough today and the epoxy fumes from gluing headset inserts into carbon tubing is gettttttttttting to meeeee.

buldogge
07-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanx for the input. I don't think a custom is gonna be in the cards this time around though.

So, to summarize...Should I look for frames with taller head tubes for their size.

I was looking this evening at Litespeed Tuscany geometries, and trying to balance between a 51 and 53. There is a 1.5cm difference in TT and a 1.2cm difference in HT. At this point I need to confirm standover on a trad frame though.

Although not ideal, I could always machine a heads-up as well.

TA
-Mark

With women I always recommend a custom builder. Someone like Waltworks, Curtlo, or even Habenero can put you in a custom bike for less than a grand.

When I fit bikes the thing that always reappears is that most bikes have a top tube that is much too long for women for the correct size. I size road bikes to the drops with a neutral length stem (not short/long). It is pretty difficult to find a manufactured bike that positions most women comfortably. The handlebar height is just significantly too low, by about 6cm. Moving to a bigger bike, even by a couple of cm creates other issues with the top tube becoming too long. The problem is that too many women listen to their male cycling friends regarding what fits, and after they are told they are on a properly fitting bike they determine that cycling just isn't comfortable for them. So they stop riding.

I see well over fifty percent of the women forced onto poor fitting mens bikes giving up on cycling. So I always advise custom. Just my two cents.

Louis
07-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Although not ideal, I could always machine a heads-up as well.

Why stop there? I think you should build her the whole bike.

Let her be the test-rider. ;)

buldogge
07-02-2011, 12:50 AM
First frame will be a track frame, 2nd frame will be her's (not including my garage partner's road build alongside the track frame)! :D

-Mark

Why stop there? I think you should build her the whole bike.

Let her be the test-rider. ;)

biker72
07-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Check with your LBS Specialized dealer. There could be some closeout 2010 Ruby models that you can negotiate for. Tell them you just want the frame. Bike shops can be very flexible.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2011, 07:19 AM

I think the best way to hold her attention is to make it as painless as possible. I would like to build something up with decently light weight...something unlike all the "old steel" that I ride! ;)

She already has a nice vintage mixte for cruising to the park with the family, and has done 30 mile rides with it...but...it is heavier and has SS fenders (PITA for the roof rack).

So...What should I be looking for? I want to keep this cheapish...need a F/F/HS only. I already have a Veloce gruppo sitting here and plenty of wheels.

Aluminum?
Carbon??
Ti???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Custom steel is nice.

http://www.waterfordbikes.com

Scott Shire
07-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I think a conventionally tubed steel bicycle will appeal aesthetically and functionally. With modern wheels and components the weight will be pretty low -- especially in a smaller size. With that in mind...

Frames
Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Road Bike - Built by Waterford, True Temper Verus tubes $620 (http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=612_2235&products_id=11744&zenid=d81fad59df5abd1a4b03e4b85375450b)

Affinity 212 - lugged and gorgeous$600 (http://affinitycycles.com/frames/bk212/)

Completes
Bianchi Campione would go nicely with Campy gruppo (http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/gran-fondo/campione/)

Mercier Serpiens 853 Ultegra (http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/mercier_serpensIX.htm) The Ultegra is an easy sale - it's the triathlete's Super Record :p

Plastic
Motobecane Immortal Spirit Carbon $495 (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/immortalspirit_frameonly.htm)

roguedog
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM
My 2 cents...

I've heard lots of good reviews of the Ruby. Also check out Jamis. They have "femme" versions and their bikes are reasonably priced. I don't know if you can just get f/f/hs though.

Oh.. you might also want to check the Terry site .. sometimes they have closeouts on their site. You might get lucky.

Lastly, you can try the teamestrogen forum in their classifieds. You might be able to score something.

But, as much as fit is important, I agree with others that aesthetics are also important. Look at how much you guys take to put together a nicely balanced, color matching/contrasting build kits, etc.

end 2 cents..

pjmsj21
07-03-2011, 12:41 AM
As always lots of good advice but I will have to second the idea of a Ruby. My wife was not a serious cyclist until four years ago when she purchased a Ruby. Since then she has completed two Cycle Oregon rides, along with Ramrod (152 miles in a day). She continues to love her bike and now is very much a serious cyclist at age 61.

Pat Mc

buldogge
07-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanx for all the further replies. I have my eyes and ears open for a Ruby in 54cm. If anyone sees a deal on a frameset...please let me know.

I might build up a cheap aluminum frameset until the right Ruby comes along...may need to find a 1" CF fork soon.

TA
-Mark

sbparker31
07-03-2011, 05:38 AM
snip...

Good advice. Also, the type of wheels can make a huge difference in the overall comfort of the bike. Not too light and not too stiff. . .

Pyramor
07-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Heresy, I know, but what about a Chinese carbon frame set. RBR has more than 10,000 posts on them. Seems most people are pleased with them and the price can't be beat. More traditionally a Gunnar, although harder to find, but can't beat the ride.

Dekonick
07-03-2011, 08:05 AM

Aluminum?
Carbon??
Ti???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Why not go custom Ti? Serotta, Bedford, Spectrum... toss in couplers for future utility...

Not the cheapest route, but the bike will be around a looooong time... for those LOOOoooong rides...

buldogge
07-03-2011, 09:24 AM
To be honest, I was thinking the same thing last night...I was looking over the hundreds of Ebay listings...wondering, which one of these sellers, which "design" to be trusted (there seem to be 3 or 4 variations).

Out of curiosity, anyone here have any experience with any of these frames???

TIA
-Mark

Heresy, I know, but what about a Chinese carbon frame set. RBR has more than 10,000 posts on them. Seems most people are pleased with them and the price can't be beat. More traditionally a Gunnar, although harder to find, but can't beat the ride.

rice rocket
07-03-2011, 11:05 AM
There's a lot of reading to do on them, but the consensus is they're not the lightest nor the stiffest nor the most comfortable, but work great for things like crits.

Someone posted a few weeks ago about the wrong BB shell being installed on theirs (both sides were LH threaded or something). It's errors like that that cost you. If you buy their $350 frameset, it's another $150 or so to ship it back to get a replacement. I'm guessing their mail system is highly subsidized, which is what allows them to undercut on shipping (and overall price).

buldogge
07-03-2011, 01:54 PM
That's the kind of stuff I'm afraid of...and $500-600 gets you into the range of something of a known quantity used.

-Mark

There's a lot of reading to do on them, but the consensus is they're not the lightest nor the stiffest nor the most comfortable, but work great for things like crits.

Someone posted a few weeks ago about the wrong BB shell being installed on theirs (both sides were LH threaded or something). It's errors like that that cost you. If you buy their $350 frameset, it's another $150 or so to ship it back to get a replacement. I'm guessing their mail system is highly subsidized, which is what allows them to undercut on shipping (and overall price).

Pete Serotta
07-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I know many folk like many type frames BUT I am very biased and also if you are happy with a chinese frame for her, i would suggest trying one some where first. Aluminum is a good price performer but the ride is usually not or par with other materials. :D

97CSI
07-03-2011, 07:03 PM
For comfort on longer rides you can't beat steel. Lugged or tig'd. I keep trying other materials, but always go back to steel for comfort and stability. The 1-3 pound difference in weight is nothing. Put on a set of decent wheels to keep rotational weight low and she'll be good forever.

rice rocket
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Here was the thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=91765

There's a Ruby on eBay right now that should fit your wife depending on her torso/leg length (537 TT). You'll have to sell the component group to run your own, but it's worth watching.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Ruby-Elite-54cm-/130539069207

buldogge
07-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm on that Ruby already...thanx for the heads up though!

-Mark

Here was the thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=91765

There's a Ruby on eBay right now that should fit your wife depending on her torso/leg length (537 TT). You'll have to sell the component group to run your own, but it's worth watching.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Ruby-Elite-54cm-/130539069207