PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a sturdy tubular rim

Needs Help
06-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a strong, sturdy tubular rim that's not a prebuilt?

Thanks.

CPP
06-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Campy Omega. Slightly profiled and very strong
CP

06-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Lots of good choices.

For starters, tubular rims get a lot stronger if you don't skimp on spokes. Many tubular rims with 36 spokes are pretty bombproof, and 32 spokes don't make them slouches. You didn't say whether you're particularly big or riding particularly rough roads, but most modern tubular rims don't dent much -- they are more prone to splitting on the inside at the ferrules.

If you don't like eBay, the Mavic GP4 is pretty bombproof, especially if you find a shop with the older ones with the curved inside surface and the red Mavic labels. It's the most readily available. There are still some Velocity Pro-Elite's around, which are as bombproof as you can get (similar to the Velocity Deep-V clinchers, which are the rave messenger wheel and come in all kinds of colors -- you can still get Pro-Elite's at www.worldclasscycles.com and at many shops (one local shop of mine still has them)). There are also a variety of Fir and Sun tubular rims available that are generally pretty good; many people swear by the Fir's (and I've really liked them myself).

If you are amenable to eBay, tubular rims sell there pretty cheaply, and you find lots of new old stock that are great. Check out Wolber Aspin, Wolber Aubisque, or Wolber Tourmalets, Araya R-40's for some solid rims. New old stock Mavic GP4's go cheaply there all the time. I'd stay away from Fiammes or AVA's as they were fairly soft alloys that dented easily. Most of the Campagnolo tubular rims are pretty good. The ultimate durable racing tubular rims are the Mavic SSC's (in particular, the Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC), although they have become very pricey. I have had very good luck with the older Ambrosio Montreal Medaille d'Or rims, and have a local source for some new ones in 36-hole drilling. Note that shipping for two rims should only run about $12 by Priority Mail as long as they are shipped in a rim box and not a wheel box (which gets charged as oversize). I've found that rims ship fine if they're simply sandwiched between two large square sheets of heavy cardboard cut to size and taped down well.

If you have a good local shop, ask them to look in back. They may have tubular rims hanging around that no one has asked for in years. Tubulars are coming back, the quality is great, the ride is great, and it's worth having a couple extra pairs hanging in the garage in your favorite drillings. If you don't find any easily, let me know. I always have an eye out for tubular rims for the local track racing scene and can tell you what I have available.

Too Tall
06-28-2005, 06:38 AM
11.4 - I lear something everytime you post MORE! How about Velocity "Escape". That's my commuting tub wheelset and works darn great for crits. too :) I've got about 2k on this set and they seem tough as nails.

zap
06-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Mavic Mach 2 are awesome and a bike shop in Toronto (name?) had some last year. Can't go wrong with Mavic's SSC's either.

Assos rims are tempting but if I'm not mistaken, their a bit soft. TT, don't you have one hidden away in your stash of, ummm, stuff?

Tubulars 'r Us (tm)

:D

Todd Owen
06-28-2005, 09:45 AM
mavic reflex

David Kirk
06-28-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm 185 pounds and ride mavic paris roubaix ssc's with 28 holes all over...............pavement, dirt road, smooth single track....whatever. They are worth thier ebay price.

I found a used set on ebay a bit back for $25. I bought some new ones for $119 for the pair. Worth every cent.

Dave

Fixed
06-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm 185 pounds and ride mavic paris roubaix ssc's with 28 holes all over...............pavement, dirt road, smooth single track....whatever. They are worth thier ebay price.

I found a used set on ebay a bit back for $25. I bought some new ones for $119 for the pair. Worth every cent.

Dave
Some went just last week.