PDA

View Full Version : Kona Frame fragility

shankldu
07-01-2011, 08:45 AM
The long time bike mech at my lbs tells me hes has seen many Kona frames fail, the model i have is the steel kapu anyone else heard of problems with Kona's.

xjoex
07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I have had a Kona AA and a Kileuaua, and worked at a Kona shop for a few years.

There is nothing wrong with them. If you huck your Kona Kapu over curbs and other things, maybe.... but even then I would not worry about it.

-Joe

shankldu
07-01-2011, 09:12 AM
If a frame fails at a weld will Kona replace or repair it if im the second owner ?

I have had a Kona AA and a Kileuaua, and worked at a Kona shop for a few years.

There is nothing wrong with them. If you huck your Kona Kapu over curbs and other things, maybe.... but even then I would not worry about it.

-Joe

AngryScientist
07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
i've got a paddywagon i've been riding pretty hard, zero problems as another data point.

shankldu
07-01-2011, 09:39 AM
is it steel ,is it similar to the kapu,the mech at the lbs says hes seen the headtubes snap off i just dont want to kill myself.

i've got a paddywagon i've been riding pretty hard, zero problems as another data point.

AngryScientist
07-01-2011, 09:41 AM
is it steel ,is it similar to the kapu,the mech at the lbs says hes seen the headtubes snap off i just dont want to kill myself.

this sounds like complete nonsense to me really. "headtubes just snap off" - that doesn't even make sense. i would ride the kapu without hesitation.

my 'wagon is steel, and i've put over 1000 miles on it already, and i'm the second owner.

shankldu
07-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks i feel a little better,but i will say the welds do look slightly different they are raised a bit where as other non lugged butted steel seem much lower.

this sounds like complete nonsense to me really. "headtubes just snap off" - that doesn't even make sense. i would ride the kapu without hesitation.

my 'wagon is steel, and i've put over 1000 miles on it already, and i'm the second owner.

gdw
07-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Is the mechanic under 21 or trying to get you to buy another bike? :banana:

shankldu
07-01-2011, 09:55 AM
No thats the thing ,older guy, i trust him, he is very knowledgeable , i have seen some other post about issues around but maybe its the aluminum frames.

Is the mechanic under 21 or trying to get you to buy another bike? :banana:

false_Aest
07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
The long time bike mech at my lbs tells me hes has seen many Kona frames fail, the model i have is the steel kapu anyone else heard of problems with Kona's.

"many kona frames fail"

what does many mean.
what frames.
what condition.
who were the owners.
were the abused.
when did they fail.

Too broad of a statement yo.

If the timeline is long enough, everyone dies and everything fails.

But, if you're really scared, (I'm being completely serious) give the bike to me. I'll pay the shipping. Then I'll ride the effing snot out of it and document it. I'm happy to prove your mechanic right.

shankldu
07-01-2011, 10:49 AM
ill keep you in mind
what does many mean.
what frames.
what condition.
who were the owners.
were the abused.
when did they fail.

Too broad of a statement yo.

If the timeline is long enough, everyone dies and everything fails.

But, if you're really scared, (I'm being completely serious) give the bike to me. I'll pay the shipping. Then I'll ride the effing snot out of it and document it. I'm happy to prove your mechanic right.[/QUOTE]

dana_e
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
have Deda tubing and the same geo as the deda carbo frames

steel fork too

BobbyJones
07-01-2011, 11:07 AM

This prolly stems from a thread a while ago from ONE person who cracked a weld behind his headtube, didn't like Kona's crash-replacement offer, so decided to fix his existing frame. And of course, made a huge deal about it here in cyberspace. I seem to remember everyone wondering if he had a good dental plan.

Keep in mind that some bike shop employees are kinda like the cashier know-it-alls who work at the convenience store down the road.

shankldu
07-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Just in general do manufactures warranty frame only to the original owner or r there execptions .

person who cracked a weld behind his headtube, didn't like Kona's crash-replacement offer, so decided to fix his existing frame. And of course, made a huge deal about it here in cyberspace. I seem to remember everyone wondering if he had a good dental plan.

Keep in mind that some bike shop employees are kinda like the cashier know-it-alls who work at the convenience store down the road.[/QUOTE]

gdw
07-01-2011, 12:08 PM
The big guys just cover the original owner.

JeffS
07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I think *most* Kona frames now-days are sold to the jump/huck crowd - in which case, I'm sure they manage to break quite a few.

I doubt that data point means much for your road bike.

MerckxMad
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Snapped head tube? The Kapu is lugged. I know the weld can still fail, but sounds like a bunch of malarky to me. I own a Kapu, a Paddy Wagon, and a Honky Tonk. Seems to me that botlh Kona and Deda know how to design and weld frames.

Charles M
07-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Nothing at all to do with Kona, but

If you're worried, don't buy it...

you wont have confidence in it.