PDA

View Full Version : What lube do you use on Speeedplay Cleats?

LesMiner
06-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Speedplay recommends a dry lube. Understandable because an accumulation of dirt mixed with a liquid lube could foul up the cleat. Any of the so called dry lubes have some liquid. To experiment I tried powdered graphite that Pinewood Derby Cars use. Similar application, polished nail with a plastic wheel, metal on plastic. I am hoping it will avoid creating a sludge. I also found that the graphite powder is very finely ground. A small amount got on a plastic part of my washing machine. The plastic is highly polished but I could not simply wipe the graphite off. It left a black haze. I had to wash it off. I am hoping that the graphite will impregnate the plastic part of the cleat and create a slippery bearing surface. Anyway I tried it out last night it appeared to work. Ease of entry and exit was improved.

BobC
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
White Lightning. Use (very) sparingly.

Cat3roadracer
06-30-2011, 07:15 AM
I have used White Lightning on my X cleats and on my cross Frog cleats, works excellent. Works excellent on the chain as well. Can be found at your local hardware store and of course Walmart.

AngryScientist
06-30-2011, 07:21 AM
this stuff, available at home depot or lowes for a few bucks. i spray down my cleats every few rides, it dries almost instantly and works great, zero sludge on my cleats or pedals either. i use it for various other stuff too, great for door hinges, pivot points, etc. good stuff.

http://www.blastergroup.com.au/images/dry_lube.jpg

oldguy00
06-30-2011, 07:27 AM
I use whatever I have available, sparingly. Really, just about anything works. I've used plain old chain oil (pedros syn lube, etc), and it works just fine. A few drops, wipe away excess..

Bob Ross
06-30-2011, 08:17 AM
I use Finish Line Dry Teflon lube on my Speedplay cleats.

"Finish Line DRY Lube goes on wet, but then sets up in a dry, ‘paste-like’ film so it will not attract or absorb grit and grime."
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/teflon-plus-lube.htm

nachoman
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
I rub a little paraffin onto my pedals and cleats about once every couple of months.

Dan Le foot
06-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Speedplay recently introduced their own lube for the cleats.
Dan

topher
06-30-2011, 04:19 PM
People lube their cleats? Seriously... I've never done it, and have never had a problem with years of use...

Chris

victoryfactory
06-30-2011, 06:21 PM
People lube their cleats? Seriously... I've never done it, and have never had a problem with years of use...

Chris

I find the X cleats get dry periodically and start to creak.
Usually in the middle of a ride. I have stopped at gas stations
and fished used oil cans out of the trash can to shut them up.
(There's a few drops left in them.)
I've even stood in puddles, used lemon pledge and soap.
Pro link works best though.

VF

SteveV0983
07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I also use the Blaster Dry Lube and it is excellent and I've been using the same can for over a year. I've tried the Speedplay, but the Blaster seems to be much better in my opinion. I give each cleat a quick shot before every ride.

Pyramor
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Chris
You will. You'll probably notice that you clip out for no reason with only light pressure. Took me about 10 miles to figure out that the retention wire on the left cleat broke. I use some teflon spray (seems similar to White Lightening) that I got at Lowes. Use it for locks also. Works great.