PDA

View Full Version : OT: What's In Your Closet?

Dr. Doofus
06-27-2005, 04:58 PM
talk of shoes

rocket 7 and mr metro

leads doof to ask

stupidly

what's in your closet?

(3 pairs dress shoes, 2 pairs old work boots, 2 pairs running shoes, 2 pairs cycling shoes)

Ozz
06-27-2005, 05:10 PM
half dozen or so pairs dress shoes (Allen Edmonds of course.... :) )
3 pairs "casual" dress shoes (Johnson Murphy, Ecco)
3 pairs hiking boots (La Sportiva mountaineering, Zamberlan backpacking, Merrill day-hikers)
2 pairs running shoes, even though I don't run....New Balance
3 pairs sandals - Birkenstock, Teva, and Keen (my new favorite pair of shoes)
1 pair cycling shoes - Sidi Shadow

Anybody ever see "American Psycho"?

"I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion. "

Roy E. Munson
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM

Don't just stare at it, eat it.

Ozz
06-27-2005, 05:32 PM

;)

Kevin
06-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I am afraid that Sandy is in my closet.

Kevin

Dr. Doofus
06-27-2005, 06:09 PM

William
06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Jimmy Hoff........you didn't hear that. :no:

William

Kevin
06-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Jimmy Hoff........you didn't hear that. :no:

William

William,

When did you move to Giants Stadium?

Kevin

William
06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
William,

When did you move to Giants Stadium?

Kevin

Oh yeah, right. Giant Stadium, yes giant stadium that's the ticket. :banana:

(Whew!)

William

JohnS
06-27-2005, 06:30 PM
AR15 shorty. :)

zeroking17
06-27-2005, 06:31 PM
A bootleg recording of Broderick Crawford's 17-minute cover version of Jamie Brockett's "Legend of the USS Titanic."

Bill Bove
06-27-2005, 06:48 PM
I lived near Jamie Brockett when I was in high school. I think he warped my mind.

In the closet; 2 pair of Nike Poggio II cycling shoes. 2 pair of Chuck Taylor low tops, 1 black (formal) 1 white, that I NEVER wear after Labor Day.

David Kirk
06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
skeletons

Dave

dirtdigger88
06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
skeletons

Dave

yeah- what he said

very scary ones

Jason

Dr. Doofus
06-27-2005, 07:04 PM

Ti Designs
06-27-2005, 07:28 PM
1 pair black dress shoes - never wear 'em.
2 pair rock climbing shoes, 5-10 lace-ups and Mad Rock slippers
1 pair of good hiking boots
14 pairs of not-so-good hiking boots
3 pairs of Sidi cycling shoes (Genius 3's, Bullits and Titans)
1 pair Lake winter cycling shoes
2 pairs of Simpson driving shoes (like I'm ever going to wear out the first pair)
1 half leg soft cast with SpeedPlay cleat mounted
1 3/4 leg soft cast without cleat (my doctor didn't like the cleat idea)
1 pair of "knock me down and f*ck me" stilettos - just kidding!

William
06-27-2005, 07:31 PM
CRKT Bear Claw
CRKT Crawford Falcon
CRKT Ryan7
Spyderco Endura
Spyderco Civillian
Barong
Bolo
Kampilan
Ginunting
Kris
Sjambok
Lots of rattan
A few bahi
Cocobolo
Acytal Rod
Tabok

That's just the right side.

William

pale scotsman
06-27-2005, 08:33 PM
No shoes in my closet... Well, not this one anyway.

Serpico
06-27-2005, 10:36 PM

rofl

Russell
06-28-2005, 07:36 AM
2 pairs of dress/work shoes
2 pairs of Doc Martens
hiking boots
7 pairs of Chucks

American Pyscho was a sick, funny movie. Book was more distrubing.

musgravecycles
06-28-2005, 07:45 AM
William- what, no Benchmades...

JohnS
06-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Or Emersons or Cold Steels?

William
06-28-2005, 08:31 AM

Benchmade is good quality.....I just haven't found one that feels "right" in my hands.

BTW, CRKT has a very good price to quality ratio. Hard to beat. Spyderco makes some good models but is generally over priced in my opinion. Cold Steel, some good, some crap.

William

Spinsistah
06-28-2005, 08:38 AM
"I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion. "

Gee Ozz, I didn't know you and Mr. Metro were such close friends that he'd discuss his morning regime with you. :)

JohnS
06-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Benchmade is good quality.....I just haven't found one that feels "right" in my hands.

BTW, CRKT has a very good price to quality ratio. Hard to beat. Spyderco makes some good models but is generally over priced in my opinion. Cold Steel, some good, some crap.

William
I can shave with my CS Recon Tanto.

William
06-28-2005, 08:47 AM
I can shave with my CS Recon Tanto.

Now that's a "tool". ;)

William

Spinsistah
06-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Birkenstock
Ecco
Sidi
Rockport
Merrill
Clarks
Liz Claiborne
Coach
Born
Columbia
Banana Republic
Timberland
Cole Haan
Reebok
Wilson
New Balance

Among others. Some of them I haven't worn in ages and I should toss them out.

I also have one pair of black CFM shoes with stilleto heels that I couldn't walk in to save my life. But then, that's not the idea, is it? :p

William
06-28-2005, 08:55 AM
I also have one pair of black CFM shoes with stilleto heels that I couldn't walk in to save my life. But then, that's not the idea, is it? :p

You could have the cleats from your road shoes mounted to them. I'll pay. Pictures please.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

William ;) :)

JohnS
06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
MONTRAIL...especially if you have wide feet. I can't remember how many pairs I've owned over the years.

Tom
06-28-2005, 09:35 AM
- One non-stinky pair Asics Kayano I wear when presentable
- Two stinky pairs Asics Kayano I wear in the yard or when not presentable
- One brown pair office shoes
- One black pair office shoes
- One pair Carnac Legends
- One pair hiking boots. I forget who made them. They're really, really good. Karen got them for me.
- One pair Burton hard boots - I forget what they called them. Ants on the strap if that's a clue. Work reaaallll good with the big ol' PJ6 GS board.
- One pair Salomon X9 or 9X or whatever kinda flexy ski boots for when I want to cruise easy
- One pair Nordica something or other wicked stiff boots for when it's blue ice.
- One small cat because I forgot to let him out after he ran in there the norning.
- At least two hundred pairs of Karen's shoes.

davep
06-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Pretty empty shoe rack compared to others -

1 pair black dress shoe - haven't worn them in years
1 pair Mephisto walking shoes - haven't worn them in a year
2 pair Sperry deck shoes
1 pair Teva sandals with deck shoe soles
1 pair flip-flops
1 pair Ecco sandals

In the garage next to my bike -

1 pair Sidi which don't fit
1 pair Nike Poggio that do

zeroking17
06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
For all these years I've mistakenly believed that Imelda Marcos was a one-off?

my2cents
06-28-2005, 12:55 PM
This month:
3 pairs of New Balance 1060 - if you are a neutral runner, you will love this shoe
1 pair NB 766 - Runner's World loved it but not my favorite
2 pair NB 907 - top of the line off-road tech shoe - great shoe
3 pair NB sandals (1 flop, 2 adventure) - OK
3 pairs of NB 801 slide - very useful shoe and everyone who gets a pair loves them
1 pair NB 901 - just got 'em - haven't run in the yet
3 pairs NB 1050 - a medial posted shoe that has a great ride
1 pair NB 'winter' runing shoe - doesn't have a model number yet
20-ish pairs of misc. NB running and walking shoes that I gotten rid of just yet but will any day now (I promise, honey, I will get them bagged and donated this weekend!)

1 pair Dunham Terra-Strider hiking boot - oh, man is this a comfortable hiking boot - only worn casual twice so far but once with no socks just because the lining feels so damn good
1 pair Dunham Cloud 9 hiking boot - last doesn't work well for my foot but a really nice boot otherwise
4 pair older Dunham hiking boots - they were good a year ago but now Dunhams are getting to be excellent
4 pairs brown Dunham casual shoes (1 slip-on, 3 lace up)
4 pairs black Dunham casual shoes (1 slip-on, 3 lace up)

have owned for at least 3 years:
1 pair black dress - good name that escapes me - and fit like sh** - have to put bandages on my ankles every time I wear them
1 pair brown dress - another good name and these are almost comfortable
1 pair slippers
1 pair Sidi - the model with 2 sets of filament line tightening straps (waist and toe) with ratchet system up top - top of the line prior to the release of the carbon soled shoes.

a year from now:
I expect to still one pair of 1050's and 907's for running, and the Dunham Terra-Strider boots, and maybe a couple of pairs of the Dunham casual shoes and at least one pair of the NB 801 slides and damn the dress shoes. Everything else will get donated.

Did I mention I head the NB/Dunham/PF Flyer product testing department, am sample size, and could change shoes every hour of every day while at work and never put the same style on twice?

Dr. Doofus
06-28-2005, 01:10 PM
shoe man

so how come doof can't find really narrow flat-soled control shoes that feel like an old saucony procyon or the old NB 857s????

Ginger
06-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Too many suits
sexy dresses I don't wear including a blue leather number....
several items that the anti-gun club would frown on
C melody saxaphones
alto sax
three pair black high heels, 1 pair blue, 1 white
3 pair boots: Cream, Black reasonable, Black platform w/5" heel
1 pair engineer boots
Hiking boots
penny loafers
Teva sandals
1 pair red patent leather CFMs
1 pair black S&M style CFMs with studs
and well...before my knee surgery I could walk in all of my shoes. I don't own shoes I'm not comfortable walking in.
Bike shoes are in the bike room
1 pr Sidis I wear most of my bike time
1 pr winter waterproof Shimano boots...brown suede
1 pr Northwave evolutions that I dispise
1pr Diadoras that are heeeaaavvvvy.

William
06-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Too many suits
sexy dresses I don't wear including a blue leather number....
C melody saxaphones
alto sax
three pair black high heels, 1 pair blue, 1 white
3 pair boots: Cream, Black reasonable, Black platform w/5" heel
1 pair engineer boots
Hiking boots
penny loafers
Teva sandals
1 pair red patent leather CFMs
and well...before my knee surgery I could walk in all of my shoes. I don't own shoes I'm not comfortable walking in.
Bike shoes are in the bike room
1 pr Sidis I wear most of my bike time
1 pr winter waterproof Shimano boots...brown suede
1 pr Northwave evolutions that I dispise
1pr Diadoras that are heeeaaavvvvy.

CFM'S? :confused:

William

Dr. Doofus
06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
sexy dresses including a blue leather number....

what ginger

wears

open house

zeroking17
06-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Shoe inventories!!!!! This is the weirdest damn thread I've ever been part of.

Dr. Doofus
06-28-2005, 01:37 PM
zero

terri gross

all I had to do was ask

forumites

did

rest

zeroking17
06-28-2005, 02:12 PM
zero

terri gross

all I had to do was ask

forumites

did

rest

Who knew the madness simmering just beneath the surface? Thanks for asking. BTW, this thread renews my faith in the "talking cure."

manet
06-28-2005, 02:22 PM
jonkind painting
stuffed parrot

my2cents
06-28-2005, 02:39 PM
dear dr.,
assuming you want a running shoe (versus walking or court or a 'classic' - a near identical reissue of an older running shoe meant for casual lifestyle use), I hope this info helps you in your shoe search. Let me know if you need more specific info.

shoe man

so how come doof can't find really narrow flat-soled control shoes that feel like an old saucony procyon or the old NB 857s????

NB background:

Upper Widths:
D = standard width in men's shoes
B = narrow
2A = extra narrow
2E = wide
4E = extra wide
6E = ultra wide

Sole Unit Widths:
starting right about now, we are beginning to make our sole units in multiple widths. in the past on men's shoes, B, D, 2E and 4E upper widths all shared a D width bottom. 6E has always gotten a 6E bottom. Now B and D will share a D bottom and 2E and 4E will share a 3E bottom, and 6E will still get a 6E bottom. Some of our competition have started to intro some of their models in a couple of widths but as far as i know, we will be the only ones still offering all our models in multiple widths and the only ones to provide multiple width sole units as well.

NB lasts:
SL-1 shoes are 'standard' - standard to box volume, standard forefoot width, standard heel, standard waist volume, standard curve to the shape,etc.
SL-2 shoes compared to SL-1 shoes have more volume in the toebox, wider in the forefoot, more volume in the waist - basically more volume everywhere except in the heel which is a bit narrower, and the shape is straight. Most of our motion control shoes are built on the SL-2 last.

Pricing:
the model number usually roughly corresponds to suggested retail (815 is roughly a $80-$90 shoe, the 587 is roughly $50-$60, etc.)

NB In-line options:
1122 (SL-2, motion control, available in B)
815 (SL-2, motion control, available in B)
587 (SL-2, motion control, available in B)
498 (SL-1, motion control, available in B)

1221 (SL-1, high stability, available in B)
991 (SL-1, stability, available in B)
856 (SL-1, high stability, available in B)
766 (SL-1, stability, available in B)
718 (SL-1, stability, available in B)

William
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
jonkind painting
stuffed parrot

Re-invented csb?

William

Ginger
06-28-2005, 03:45 PM
All in all the thread makes me think quite a few guys might have more shoes in their closets than I do...

Dr. Doof...that dress and those shoes do NOT go together...but perhaps I will fit in the dress by 2006...one can only hope.

(Why is it there? Where can you get rid of a blue leather dress?)

Dr. Doofus
06-28-2005, 04:00 PM

the sandy man

IFRider
06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Sidi Genius
2 pair Sidi Dominator (original lime green accents and a black pair)
Many Tevas including a great original pair with 5.10 rubber soles
Galibier Super Guides (first real euro climbing gear purchased with original Chouinard Super Gators attached))
Asolo Plastic Mountaineering boots
Horrible "Ilove the '90s" tassled loafers from when I had to were a suit to work.
Pair of old Merrill leather boots from back when boots were all leather

THe most hideous Soloman black and yellow hiking shoes with plastic reiforcement and quick draw laces. Truley bizarre euro shoes my wife got me as a freebie from the soloman rep when she was a buyer at EMS. THey are total euro trash chic but fit my feet oh so well.

Kevin
06-28-2005, 06:55 PM

Linda Tripp :D

Kevin

Louis
06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
CFM'S? :confused:

William

Let's put it this way, if you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't know, however:

Come F*** Me

William
06-29-2005, 03:24 AM
Let's put it this way, if you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't know, however:

Come F*** Me

Ahhhhhhh.

I got you now. I wasn't expecting that on this forum. Now, the other forum I hang out on is another story.....

William ;)

Ginger
06-29-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm told that's what they are...

to me they're comfortable shoes.

Ti Designs
06-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm told that's what they are...

to me they're comfortable shoes.

I'm guessing that was before the knee surgery. I know a thing or two about knees (my knowledge of CFM shoes comes mostly from watching ZZ Top videos), I would worry about stability if I were in your shoes. OK, I'd worry about a lot more than just my knees if I were in your shoes...

Ginger
06-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Ha! The one pair is still comfortable, I'm just out of practice. I don't go watch up and coming bands at some of the seedier venues anymore so I've sort of fallen out of the habit of walking in those things...I can walk across a level floor, but stairs, bar floors, and uneven ground are killer on any height heel right now.
:)

Ti Designs
06-29-2005, 12:53 PM
It was an ACL reattachement, wasn't it??? If it were a hyperextension injury or a PCL replacement those shoes would be in Sandy's closet by now.

I don't go watch up and coming bands at some of the seedier venues anymore so I've sort of fallen out of the habit of walking in those things...

I sell Sidi, does that make Wheelworks the sidiest venue??? They do make mountain bike shoes that you can walk in - Sidi and walkable, some would even say sexy (in a very different sort of way). Anyway, my here is that there is a real danger for you to be walking around in those things - hold off 'til next years open house...

True story: when they wrote up the release instructions given to people who had knee surgery at New England Medical, one thing on the don't list was CFM shoes. It was put in there as a joke, they must have expected it to be edited out. Somehow about 100 lawyers read the notes and didn't think there was anything wrong.

Ginger
06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Yep, brand new ACL...taken from my quad tendon rather than my patellar tendon goes along with the MCL tear...

Not all lawyers are cool.

Don't worry, I'm probably more careful with my expensive knees than anyone else I know who has had similar surgery. I've managed kitten heels and sensible pumps and hiking boots...that's about it.

beungood
06-30-2005, 05:17 PM
" Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion. "

It put's the lotion on it's skin, it places the lotion in the basket...... :banana:

weisan
06-30-2005, 05:34 PM
For those of my brothers who are like me, don't go out very much these days because of a truckload of kids in tow (ie. William-pal)....here's a fine example of CFM?

http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/images/buy/foot5.jpg

William
06-30-2005, 07:38 PM
For those of my brothers who are like me, don't go out very much these days because of a truckload of kids in tow (ie. William-pal)....here's a fine example of CFM?

http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/images/buy/foot5.jpg

Whaaa....???

I thought it meant Cruzin For Miles. :confused:

William ;)
http://humor.fountaingateway.com/images/stilleto_cycle.jpg

Louis
06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Weisan, IMO those are a bit clunky. As an alternative, may I propose these "CAFTSLOMW" boots. (Come and feel the sweet lash of my whip)

For people like us in the cycling world who obviously enjoy pain (otherwise why would we ride 100 miles in one day, or climb the hills we do) these will fit right in...

weisan
06-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Weisan, IMO those are a bit clunky. As an alternative, may I propose these "CAFTSLOMW" boots. (Come and feel the sweet lash of my whip)

For people like us in the cycling world who obviously enjoy pain (otherwise why would we ride 100 miles in one day, or climb the hills we do) these will fit right in...http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5300&stc=1

Right by my alley....c'mon-in!

I whip!...you lash!...William-pal yell!