PDA

View Full Version : M&Ms and Bicycle Safety

2LeftCleats
06-29-2011, 07:24 AM
From the local newpaper, Bloomington Herald Times:

"A freak accident between a man on a bike, a woman in a car and a few discarded M&M candies that drew blood ended in an arrest downtown this week.

Bloomington police say a 57-year-old man left the Waffle House on College Avenue Monday night, on his bicycle with a handful of M&Ms.

As he pedaled away, he tossed a few of the M&Ms he didn’t want, and one of the candies passed through the open window of a nearby vehicle, striking a 31-year-old female driver in the mouth.

“One of the M&Ms apparently had a chip in it,” police Sgt. Jeff Canada said. “It cut the driver’s lip, which caused very minor bleeding.”

Canada said the series of events appeared to be an accident. But the woman told police she felt threatened when she followed the bicyclist in her car and he replied, “Don’t get shot.”

Officers found the man a short time later at the Showers building and arrested him on charges of misdemeanor battery, public intoxication and intimidation. He told police he didn’t know why he threatened the woman. He did not have a gun. "

Apparently the M&Ms didn't melt in her mouth.

SoCalSteve
06-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Very "News of the Weird" (http://www.newsoftheweird.com/)

CNY rider
06-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Makes no sense.
Who would throw away a perfectly good M&M?

Germany_chris
06-29-2011, 08:48 AM
:no: From the local newpaper, Bloomington Herald Times:

"A freak accident between a man on a bike, a woman in a car and a few discarded M&M candies that drew blood ended in an arrest downtown this week.

Bloomington police say a 57-year-old man left the Waffle House on College Avenue Monday night, on his bicycle with a handful of M&Ms.

As he pedaled away, he tossed a few of the M&Ms he didn’t want, and one of the candies passed through the open window of a nearby vehicle, striking a 31-year-old female driver in the mouth.

“One of the M&Ms apparently had a chip in it,” police Sgt. Jeff Canada said. “It cut the driver’s lip, which caused very minor bleeding.”

Canada said the series of events appeared to be an accident. But the woman told police she felt threatened when she followed the bicyclist in her car and he replied, “Don’t get shot.”
Officers found the man a short time later at the Showers building and arrested him on charges of misdemeanor battery, public intoxication and intimidation. He told police he didn’t know why he threatened the woman. He did not have a gun. "

I know older dudes on bike are really threatening while you're driving a car.. :no:

Blue Jays
06-29-2011, 09:08 AM
"...I know older dudes on bikes are really threatening while you're driving a car..."Precisely why he shouldn't suggest "shooting" a person he had already injured.
This was all avoidable by not tossing items into moving traffic.

2LeftCleats
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Makes no sense.
Who would throw away a perfectly good M&M?

Apparently because it was defective and had a chip in it

Germany_chris
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Precisely why he shouldn't suggest "shooting" a person he had already injured.
This was all avoidable by not tossing items into moving traffic.

Umm firstly there no really effective place to hide a gun on your person in the summer while riding a bike coming from a bar. Second the act of drawing a gun while riding you bike would make rding precarious and would take a fair bit of time. With in that fair bit of time she will have ample time to run him over or even accelerate past him. Accurate shooting on a bicycle with a gun small enough to conceal would be..tough..better yet whe did she follow him? If it was so terrifying to get your lip cut why would you not just stop and calm a bit..

My take she was mad and following him too close and he said that to back her up a bit.

MattTuck
06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Umm firstly there no really effective place to hide a gun on your person in the summer while riding a bike coming from a bar. Second the act of drawing a gun while riding you bike would make rding precarious and would take a fair bit of time. With in that fair bit of time she will have ample time to run him over or even accelerate past him. Accurate shooting on a bicycle with a gun small enough to conceal would be..tough..better yet whe did she follow him? If it was so terrifying to get your lip cut why would you not just stop and calm a bit..

My take she was mad and following him too close and he said that to back her up a bit.

I don't know about your childhood, but I was a bit of a hooligan at times. I'd set up glass bottles along a stretch of road, you know, on fence posts, old stumps, little berms, and then ride my bike, no handed, with a bag of rocks... smashing those bottles with each throw!! By the end of the summer, I was pretty damn accurate!

I thought I was Knight Rider, or the A-Team or something.

I think a new biathlon should be started, where you ride your bike and shoot guns. Maybe we'd get more respect on the road ways... you know, like how cross country skiers get respect because of the traditional biathlon. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Agree with you that traditional cycling attire doesn't provide many options for carrying a fire arm.

Another option, he was just a fan of 'berto, and challenging her to a race.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hd824hqyfQc/TYojpQa6G2I/AAAAAAAAARU/dRfZCrRWHNs/s320/alberto%2Bcontador%2Bdispara%2Bun%2Btiro%2Bpistole ro.jpg

Blue Jays
06-29-2011, 10:25 AM
"...there no really effective place to hide a gun on your person in the summer while riding a bike coming from a bar..."Many firearms satisfy that concealment requirement.
Responsible people don't toss things into moving traffic and they don't threaten shooting someone.
The older bicycle rider was wrong and was correctly charged.

Germany_chris
06-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Many firearms satisfy that concealment requirement.
Responsible people don't toss things into moving traffic and they don't threaten shooting someone.
The older bicycle rider was wrong and was correctly charged.

I agree there, but I still stand if you intimidated by some older dude on a bike then you really have much larger issues..

Blue Jays
06-29-2011, 01:38 PM
The bicycle rider wrongly threw objects into moving traffic.
One of the thrown objects subsequently drew blood from a passenger in a passing vehicle.
Vehicle occupants naturally want a word with the thrower.
Bicycle rider then threatens people he has already injured with getting shot.
That threat is categorized as a crime in our country.

Joachim
06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
arrested him on charges of misdemeanor battery, public intoxication and intimidation. He told police he didn’t know why he threatened the woman. He did not have a gun. "

Biking-under-the-influence and intimidation by M&M throwing...I'm moving to that town.

Germany_chris
06-29-2011, 02:17 PM
The bicycle rider wrongly threw objects into moving traffic.
One of the thrown objects subsequently drew blood from a passenger in a passing vehicle.
Vehicle occupants naturally want a word with the thrower.
Bicycle rider then threatens people he has already injured with getting shot.
That threat is categorized as a crime in our country.

Remember it's our country to include mine..

and he was rightfully charged but she "wanted a word" I think the dude on the bike was scared of the lady in the 4000# deadly weapon..so she intimidated him also. If she was truly in fear she rolls up her window calls 911 while giving a description of drunky on a klunky, and beats feet back to some place safe. All I'm getting at is I don't believe for a minute she was scared, scared people do not pursue people that scare them.

Louis
06-29-2011, 02:22 PM

That's nearly assault with a deadly weapon. Unbelievable.

Joachim
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm sure the courts time will be used accordingly to prosecute such a crime to the fullest extent. Hopefully it wasn't a blue coconut M&M, that will just be a waste. From now on I'm arming myself with concealed ClifBar Shot Blocks, those things get sticky! Plus they won't draw blood, only leave a sticky bruise.

MattTuck
06-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm sure the courts time will be used accordingly to prosecute such a crime to the fullest extent. Hopefully it wasn't a blue coconut M&M, that will just be a waste. From now on I'm arming myself with concealed ClifBar Shot Blocks, those things get sticky! Plus they won't draw blood, only leave a sticky bruise.

It may have been a peanut M&M, and she may have had peanut allergies!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Blue Jays
06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
People shouldn't toss anything into traffic...especially anything that causes a bloody lip.
This crazy man on the bicycle got what was coming to him given his subsequent threats...
He should stick to the MUP next time! :beer: