PDA

View Full Version : What is the one thing you would........

Len J
06-27-2005, 01:58 PM
like to say to a newbie?

I did a long ride yesterday with a couple of friends. 2 of us ride together all the time (Combined we probably have 60 years of riding (i'm embarrassed to say)). one is someone I've rode with before who "dabbles" (he'll ride for a few months and then not, so he never really develops any sustainable skills) and the last is someone i've just met. He is a nice guy, who started riding in October, has since lost 40 or so pounds and what he lacks in experience he makes up for in tenacity.......he just loves to ride, is "stong like bull" and really wants to learn.

So after the ride, my old riding bud and I were talking and trying to decide, What one thing should we tell him? There are so many things he doesn't know, we've been trying to point some of them out as we ride, but we don't want to either overwhelm him or make him feel bad.

So I figured I'd open it up to the collective wisdom of the board.

"If you could only teach a newbie one thing, what would it be......and why that one thing?"

If nothing else, the thread might be helpful to someone.

Thanks for playing.

Len

weisan
06-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Join the Serotta forum.

Ginger
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Do not follow blindly all kernels of wisdom from cycling partners.

Sounds like a funny piece of advice to give someone, but I've had to help people "undo" habits they learned because someone told them they were supposed to do X, or it was ok to do X and they didn't do any research, just followed along.

The other things would be:

Remain aware. Know where you are on the road and in respect to other riders if you're in a group. Group rides are not races and it's everyone's responsibility to get back to the start in one piece.

or

Never ever halfwheel/cross tires, if you know about it (are the one following), you're the one who's going to go down if things go bad.

and

Carry ID

dirtdigger88
06-27-2005, 02:11 PM
have fun

Jason

TimB
06-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Ride predictably. No sudden bursts of speed, no quick stops in a group (unless ABSOLUTELY necessary); ride in a straight line. I'd rather run over a squirrel than risk taking out 3 or 10 of my riding companions. (Right Zap?)

csb
06-27-2005, 02:19 PM
obstain from shopping for cycling apparel while lactating

dirtdigger88
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM

whatta boob

Jason

weisan
06-27-2005, 02:29 PM

The man remaining true to himself. :D

pjm
06-27-2005, 02:30 PM
whatta boob

Jason

WE ALREADY DID THIS!!! :no:

OldDog
06-27-2005, 02:31 PM
most apparel is lactate intolerent.

OldDog
06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
tell 'em to stick with you and your bud and he will be fine.

Ginger
06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Ah...just one thing...

Hold your line.

OldDog
06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
WE ALREADY DID THIS!!! :no:

What a bust!

e-RICHIE
06-27-2005, 02:45 PM

that is actually very funny!
i forgot about that heated thread.

bcm119
06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Don't be turned off by the a-holes. Cycling is riddled with them and they can squash a budding cyclist's enthusiasm very quickly.

Ride by yourself alot. Worry about lingo and etiquette and the group thing later, once you are confident in yourself. And never forget that its supposed to be fun.

BURCH
06-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I would have said this too:

From TimB,
"Ride predictably. No sudden bursts of speed, no quick stops in a group (unless ABSOLUTELY necessary); ride in a straight line. I'd rather run over a squirrel than risk taking out 3 or 10 of my riding companions."

As well as, don't blindly trust the rider in front of you especially thru intersections.

weisan
06-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Okey dokey, I will get serious here...I think the best advice I can give someone who is just coming into the sport is the same advice I would take myself....ask a lot of questions, don't stop learning. ;)

PhsychoCyclist
06-27-2005, 03:44 PM
If someone yells at you in a group ride, don't take it personally. When things are happening fast people don't have time to think about how to say something nicely. After the ride approach that person and apologise for coming in on him or whatever and usually they'll say don't worry about it, just be carefull out there and you learn. If you argue, you'll just annoy the experienced riders and they won't let you hang in long enough to learn.

IFRider
06-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Variety will keep it interesting ...

Different work out routes keep it fresh.

Choose a different kind of ride occasionally. Ride to see the scenary or to justify a good meal in addition to a work out or training ride.

Ride with different people. You can learn a lot from watching different riders and focusing on thier technique to see what is working. Hammer heads and tourists all will teach you something.

Ride off the beaten path every once in while. It is ok to take a road bike on a dirt road or easy trail Mix it up.

and ride in the rain on a hot summer day. You feel about 10 years old the first time you do it as an adult.

Warren

Bradford
06-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Find a local group with diverse riders and do the weekend rides. I'm not talking about the local hammerheads from the bike shop, I'm talking about something like a league of American Wheelman group that arrows multiple distances on each ride. It is the best way to start and grow in the sport.

spiderman
06-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Variety will keep it interesting ...

Different work out routes keep it fresh.

Choose a different kind of ride occasionally. Ride to see the scenary or to justify a good meal in addition to a work out or training ride.

Ride with different people. You can learn a lot from watching different riders and focusing on thier technique to see what is working. Hammer heads and tourists all will teach you something.

Ride off the beaten path every once in while. It is ok to take a road bike on a dirt road or easy trail Mix it up.

and ride in the rain on a hot summer day. You feel about 10 years old the first time you do it as an adult.

Warren

i took the ottrott off road with my 16 year old daughter yesterday...
we did twelve miles of mud, gravel and slick grass on steep climbs.
we found backpack/kayak camp sites we never knew existed
after living in this area for 10 years!
great advice...
...i'll continue to follow your lead...
my wife got after me a little:
'so you're taking the 2004 dream bike
off road and mistreating it, huh??
...what would ben say?
....i think he might say something like:
'so glad i could be part of you and your daughter
living life to the fullest...keep enjoying the ride of your lives!'

Doc Austin
06-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Don't fall off the bike.

Seriously, if you can find an experienced rider to bring you along that will save you from making alot of mistakes. Good riders will share their training and safety techniques with you and if they save you from making one fall that's worth it's weight in gold, especially as you get older.

Oh, and buy a Serotta. Even if you are slow, you'll still have a cool bike.

bironi
06-27-2005, 04:52 PM
I would suggest having your new cycling friend observe the habits of the best cyclist in your riding group. "Just try to do what he does" It may take years, but he can take pride in the progress, and be safer getting there.

Ti Designs
06-27-2005, 05:02 PM
As there is no good answer to this question, I'll come up with a few stand alone pieces of advice:

Don't spit into a tornado.

Never pet a porcupine.

Take up golf.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half pack of cigeretts, it's dark out and we're wearing sunglasses - oops, wrong thread.

dirtdigger88
06-27-2005, 05:03 PM
how about dont take a knife to a gun fight :no:

Jason

William
06-27-2005, 06:28 PM
how about dont take a knife to a gun fight :no:

Jason

Don't take a fight to a gun knife?

William

Larry
06-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Do not challenge or yell back at an irritated, inconsiderate, pissed off motorist! Keep your cool and pedal on. Really keep your cool! That
rednecks pick-up can do some real damage to you and your bike.

Larry in Dallas

Dekonick
06-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Be safe!

Remember to look out for #1

So-

Wear a helmet
Ride in control
Be aware!

Other than that just ride!

dirtdigger88
06-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Don't take a fight to a gun knife?

William

***?

Jason

jerk
06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
go race. you can't learn **** about riding a bicycle any other way.
jerk

andy mac
06-28-2005, 01:14 AM
s-t-r-e-t-c-----------------------hhhhh

slowgoing
06-28-2005, 01:42 AM
Beware of unsolicited cycling advice from people who think they're better than you.

Climb01742
06-28-2005, 03:46 AM
Beware of unsolicited cycling advice from people who think they're better than you.

so what's the point of this forum then? :D

Climb01742
06-28-2005, 04:01 AM
but seriously...

1. get a bike that fits. doesn't have to be expensive, just make sure it fits properly.
2. learn good basic technique. because we rode a bike as kids, we think we know how to ride. wrong. just get the basics right. smooth stroke. circles. hips positioned correctly.
3. when you ride easy, go easy. when you ride hard, go hard.
4. understand what YOU want out of riding. be the kind of rider that gives you joy. don't follow someone else's idea of what a "rider" is.
5. never ever wear black socks (that's the one exception to point 4. :D )
6. if at all possible, be born the same size as DBRK. he's a one-man ebay. :beer:

Too Tall
06-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Set up a training log for him so he begins to take an interest in his own destiny and suggest a basic structured approach. It can be pretty simple eg: endurance long rides on sat/sun, monday off / stretch, tue ride hills, wed. and thurs fast and short.

A prelude to this might be goal setting: 6 hr. century, lower BP etc.

SGP
06-28-2005, 06:36 AM
the pro team in this movie are not to be considered role models for good sportsmanship :bike:

dehoopta
06-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Don't pet a burning dog!

Also, get fitted by someone highly recommended by the group and whom you trust. Even a great bike will ride lousy with a bad fit. Heck, go to your local Serotta dealer, and get fitted.....for a new bike. Seriously, whatever you are riding will be sweeter when it fits

Above all, have FUN!!

Grant McLean
06-28-2005, 09:56 AM
If you have only 1 bottle cage on your frame... don't mount it on the the seat tube.

_G

Tom
06-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Watch out where the huskies go, and don’t you eat that yellow snow

Ginger
06-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Spiderman: It's a bike, not fine china. Ride where you want to.

Or, my favorite...

A bike is a bike is a bike. Ride it.

weisan
06-28-2005, 10:32 AM

Or, my favorite...

You-talkin'-to-me, Miss Ginger?! Good advice!

Fixed
06-28-2005, 10:54 AM
just ride ride ride ride don't drive your car just ride oh did I say ride your bike ?and stay out of bike shops,read what is on this bike fourm these guys are smart and are not trying to sell you something.i.m.h.o.

pbbob
06-28-2005, 11:08 AM
don't clutch a water bottle in one hand and use the front brake with the other hand when approaching a railroad crossing.
this probably only pertains to that subset of riders who are governors of virginia.

spiderman
06-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Or, my favorite...

it's a great way to explore...
...my favorite advice...
it pertains to riding as well...
'avoid the steaming divot'