PDA

View Full Version : Need info on steel Classique..

oyvind3000
06-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Thinking about buying this (norwegian link): http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/bilder?finnkode=28617814

Can anybody tell me what year its from and what its worth?
Also interested in weight etc.
What kind of bike was it sold as - touring/amateur racing?

Regards Øyvind

Pete Serotta
06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
and threadless stem, I would say from mid to late 90s. It was straight gauge ti.

It was below the Legend ti at that time in terms of straight gauge vs butted ti and the fork does not look to be carbon.

AS to value, I do not know market outside the USA but here it would be no more than $1000US if in excellent shape.

It really comes down to does it fit you and do you like the ride.

Regards

PETE

PETE

oyvind3000
06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
thanks - so not steel?

any thoughts on weight?

LouDeeter
06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
What is the large sticker at the front bottom of the seattube? Is that a decal that tells what type of tubing? To add to Pete's comments about dating it, the 9 speed Ultegra parts would also help date if they are original to the bike.

cycle8110
06-29-2011, 09:18 AM
The Serotta classique was produced from about 1998 to 2000. I bought mine in 1999. The frame is Reynolds 853 competition in the main triangle, double butted and ovalized at the bottom bracket. The rear triangle was Serotta Colorado S3 with double taper seat stays and s bend chain stays. The fork was carbon, but I can't remember the name. The frame used a square road geometry with horizontal top tube and is TIG welded. I love mine and would not part with it, but it was an entry level frame for Serotta and the value would not be that high in dollars these days. It was intended as a value frame to reach a lower price point.

Germany_chris
06-29-2011, 09:29 AM
The Serotta classique was produced from about 1998 to 2000. I bought mine in 1999. The frame is Reynolds 853 competition in the main triangle, double butted and ovalized at the bottom bracket. The rear triangle was Serotta Colorado S3 with double taper seat stays and s bend chain stays. The fork was carbon, but I can't remember the name. The frame used a square road geometry with horizontal top tube and is TIG welded. I love mine and would not part with it, but it was an entry level frame for Serotta and the value would not be that high in dollars these days. It was intended as a value frame to reach a lower price point.

You're right there is an 853 decal down there by the bottom bracket

false_Aest
06-29-2011, 09:58 AM
and threadless stem, I would say from mid to late 90s. It was straight gauge ti.

weren't the classiques straight gauge 853?

Otherwise I have a ti frame that's got a teeeeeeny bit of rust.

cycle8110
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
There were two models of the classique. One was Titanium, the other was 853 steel. People confuse these all the time as both were called classique. The 853 model was not straight gauge, but rather Reynolds top tubeset at the time, double butted and ovalized. Quite a bargin actually.

oliver1850
06-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Check out the catalog section of the Forum and have a look at the 1999 catalog. It will tell you most of what you want to know.

The geometry is pretty standard Serotta road race geometry, 73 degree seat tube and 73.5 head tube angle in a 56cm.

Reynolds 853 is still great tubing, and the bike should be reasonably light for steel. I'd guess it's one of the lightest steel frames Serotta has made. The stock fork is listed as Icon or Kinesis.

It's really hard to put a value on it, but in the USA I'd guess it would sell somewhere in the $500-$800 range.

Pete Serotta
06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
:crap: :crap:

weren't the classiques straight gauge 853?

Otherwise I have a ti frame that's got a teeeeeeny bit of rust.

your rust is unique so maybe you can get more $$s for the "Ti" frame you have :D

PETE

Ken Robb
06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
my old catalog states while the ti and steel Classique models did not have Serotta's Colorado shaped tubes the tubing was as good as other makers' best butted stuff. We know nobody was building with more care.

oliver1850
06-29-2011, 04:14 PM
I agree with you Ken. I have a LeMond Zurich 853 from just about the same year. It's not nearly as nice a frame as a Serotta, and the paint is crap. Based on quality, the Classique frame should bring twice what a Zurich does, not because it will outperform a Zurich by much, but because the Serotta is more carefully built and finished. I don't think the market in general appreciates the difference.

false_Aest
06-29-2011, 04:51 PM
:crap: :crap:

your rust is unique so maybe you can get more $$s for the "Ti" frame you have :D

PETE

in that case,

Wanna trade one of your plastic bikes for mine?

:P :beer:

Ken Robb
06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I agree with you Ken. I have a LeMond Zurich 853 from just about the same year. It's not nearly as nice a frame as a Serotta, and the paint is crap. Based on quality, the Classique frame should bring twice what a Zurich does, not because it will outperform a Zurich by much, but because the Serotta is more carefully built and finished. I don't think the market in general appreciates the difference.

I too had a Lemond Zurich followed by a CSi. The Zurich was a great value. I think I paid about $1575 new with 9speed Ultegra and Rolf wheels. The CSi was a bit better in every way and had a much nicer paint job but it listed for a bit over $4,000 with 10 speed Chorus.