PDA

View Full Version : Riding Phoenix

Jason E
06-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey all. I'll be staying in the South Mountain area, and looking at the Google Earth, it likes like there is some great riding to be had, yes?

Is it foolish to think that if I am in the East Baseline Road/S 40th that I can ride over to South Mountain Park and up to the TV towers? Is traffic killer? Are these decent areas?

I know zero about Phoenix, so forgive me here.

godfrey1112000
06-29-2011, 05:26 AM
http://pmbcaz.org/

Ride Early

I usually ride west and north on Carefree in to Scottsdale,

wide shoulders and bike lanes all the way,

you could find a shop and they will guide you, good maps usually available

I will not be out there until sometime in the fall

It would be nice to take a day trip, early again to Tucson, Mt. Lemmon, 26 miles straight up, 6500 ft of climbing, no traffic and screamer all the way down
http://www.northeastcycling.com/Favorite_Climbs.html

have fun, buy a house they are cheaper than high end bikes

azrider
06-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey all. I'll be staying in the South Mountain area, and looking at the Google Earth, it likes like there is some great riding to be had, yes?

Is it foolish to think that if I am in the East Baseline Road/S 40th that I can ride over to South Mountain Park and up to the TV towers? Is traffic killer? Are these decent areas?

I know zero about Phoenix, so forgive me here.

Don't do it! If you have a car, do yourself a favor and go to a spot that is more bike friendly. Starbucks at corner of Baseline/24th is a very popular place where people park and ride over to South Mountain. Once in the park you can go to the TV towers or W San Juan Road.

How long are you in town for? Interested in any group rides?

Shoot me a PM and i'll hook you up.

ATB24
06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
I rode around that area once, worst experience on a bike ever. I'm from nyc and never dealt with so many non-nice people as I did in arizona

azrider
06-29-2011, 02:37 PM
I rode around that area once, worst experience on a bike ever. I'm from nyc and never dealt with so many non-nice people as I did in arizona

I'd take that with grain of salt..........

I started cycling in AZ so I have nothing to compare it to, but like most cities AZ has it's good and bad places to ride. Certain 'pockets' of the city i wouldn't even dream of riding for fear of being hit, run off the road, etc

But others have not only the best scenery/terrain, but the friendliest motorists as well. Just gotta know where to go.

Z3c
06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=godfrey1112000]http://pmbcaz.org/

Ride Early
It would be nice to take a day trip, early again to Tucson, Mt. Lemmon, 26 miles straight up, 6500 ft of climbing, no traffic and screamer all the way down
http://www.northeastcycling.com/Favorite_Climbs.html

Lemmon is even better than usual right now as the Coronado Forest is closed for fire protection so even less people driving up.. If you are able to visit Tucson, touch base for pointers.

Ken Robb
06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd take that with grain of salt..........

I started cycling in AZ so I have nothing to compare it to, but like most cities AZ has it's good and bad places to ride. Certain 'pockets' of the city i wouldn't even dream of riding for fear of being hit, run off the road, etc

But others have not only the best scenery/terrain, but the friendliest motorists as well. Just gotta know where to go.

OK, I'm teasing you a bit but do the nasty drivers in certain areas drive nicer when they get out of those neighborhoods? Is there a "Nasty Driver Enclave" from which they never escape?

azrider
06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Ummmm.........doesn't seem too hard a concept to grasp.

I live and ride in Scottsdale 95% of the time and have never had a single issue. Only time i have encountered drivers who are less tolerable of riders are when i've ridden in areas such as Buckeye and Chandler so i don't ride there as much. Don't konw if it's the demographic and don't care to know but your smarmy comment doesn't really add anything to the thread does it?

zmudshark
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
I ride in Scottsdale/Paradise valley most of the time when I'm in town, great roads and few hassles.

If you are at S.Mtn, try riding in Ahwatukee as well. I've only ridden there a few times, not as nice as PV, but tons of cyclists and good roads.

Ride very early.