PDA

View Full Version : bicycle artist article by pez

feta99
06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Great article by Pez:

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9446&status=True&catname=Latest%20News

How many people can claim to have a great LBS near them?

Marz
06-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Me thinks Marco has a touch of the old OCD.

BTW, his solution on the BB cable guide is hideous as is the cable tie on the brake housing along the TT.

rustychisel
06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
It's not rocket science.

A1CKot
06-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Great read. The difference between the U.S. and European market kind of surprised me.

BillG
06-28-2011, 08:19 PM
It's not rocket science.

No, it's art.

rustychisel
06-28-2011, 08:23 PM
No, it's art.

No, its utilitarianism with OCD

Fixed
06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
he wears american shoes
cheers

fogrider
06-29-2011, 02:22 AM
I agree with some of his ideas, but I like to turn my own wrench and I know my limits. today with sealed bearings, its easier to put together a bike. I don't think I would be comfortable cutting a seatmast...but then I'm a firm believer that the seatmast is one of the dumber ideas yet.

Germany_chris
06-29-2011, 03:36 AM
Yes in my experience people here don't like classic things, they much prefer new.

drewski
06-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Interesting read. What stuck out for me is the line that "artists have no choice no reveal their wounds". It seems to me that wounds have a proper
space to be expressed that they can end up becoming the source of tremendous creativity. Ultimately with enough breathing room, these wounds can end up being a gift.

Also where Marco says Americans are the only ones who still want to buy steel bikes. I never would have guessed.

feta99
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Also where Marco says Americans are the only ones who still want to buy steel bikes. I never would have guessed.

Last time I was in France/Italy I would always look to see what kind of bike people were riding. You would see lots of people with newish bikes that you hardly see in NA and a steel road bike is practically extinct in those areas. Although, steel city bikes are still common but newer ones were made out of aluminum.

The article reminded me of a time a while back when I studied in Florence for a few months and was out looking for a street bike. I came across this bike store that sold/serviced used street bikes exclusively. In the shop, there was an older bike mechanic in blue overalls and a younger one who was apprenticing under the older one. Those bikes were fairly simple to begin with so I can't imagine how much training was required, but you have to admire the dedication to the tradesmanship...

I also really liked the part of the article were Marco ensures that the bike rides quietly and smoothly. There is nothing more satisfying than riding a quiet bike. Any ticking or clicking sounds are an excuse for a new bike! ;-)

thinpin
06-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I'd like to see a few more Marcos around - OCD or not.

thwart
06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd like to see a few more Marcos around - OCD or not.1+

rustychisel
06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I'd like to see a few more Marcos around - OCD or not.

Yeah, I'll drink to that. :beer:

I wasn't knocking Marco so much as the pithy attempt to romanticise an artisan.

rwsaunders
07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I'd have him work on my ride any day. I also found the steel bike comments interesting, as I would not have guessed that it was an "American" thing.

norcalbiker
07-05-2011, 06:11 PM
No, its utilitarianism with OCD

:beer: :hello: :D