PDA

View Full Version : OT: Obnoxious Vaccuum cleaners (Dyson) roll call

mtnbke
06-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Okay we just bought a Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum cleaner that cost six hundred something dollars...

How freakin' obnoxious is that? I think this is a sign of the end of the world. Those with any semblance of an education in classics will see this as pure pleonexia.

Vanity aside, I'm looking forward to the wife using it. I suffer from some exercise induced asthma, and have some allergies that came on in my adulthood. I'm hoping it makes a difference in our house (no pets).

Anyone else have a Dyson? Which model did you get? Which model would you get now if you had to repurchase and why?

The wife didn't like the canister models, and hated the ball versions. She was sold when the suction on the DC28 actually pulled the vaccuum forward on its own, almost like it was self-propelled.

So what's more obnoxious, high zoot bicycles or vacuums?

rice rocket
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I don't know how Dyson gets away with their HEPA ratings on a bagless stuff. Guess what happens when you empty the canister...?

Anyways, Dyson is to Trek as Miele/Kirby/Electrolux is to Serotta.

Just sayin'.

godfrey1112000
06-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Bought one 9 months ago, using it in the beginning I did not realize we lived in squalor

it brought up the carpets, they looked newer and cleaner after a few weeks, like anything you can pick at the flaws, not good in the corners or along the base boards without using various attachments

paid under $500 with coupons from Bed B and Beyonder

you have to read the fine print on the coupons at BBB most exclude Dyson and certain wine glasses and pots

all in all A- to A, customer service send a part second day air at no charge,

PRIMARY REASON FOR PURCHASE BELOW

keevon
06-28-2011, 05:34 AM
In-laws bought a Miele a while back. I'm intensely jealous of that vacuum... does wonders with Collie hair.

dancinkozmo
06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
dyson = rapha

Dave B
06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I bought the original fancy yellow one off of eBay for like $120 as it was an unused store display. Loved it! Let my mom borrow it and when I went to pick it up she had gone out and purchased the best animal one to replace it as she was not going to give it back. I told her to keep the new and better one so I could use the older one. I got the, "pry it from my cold dead hands," comment so I graciously took the new one.

It works fine and always freaks me out how much stuff it sucks up. I like to think we keep the house clean until I vacuum. Good lord we are pigs!

FlashUNC
06-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Borrowed a friend's animal hair version.

Showed what kind of crap was really lurking in my carpets.

If we move into a place with carpets, its definitely something we'd consider getting.

roguedog
06-28-2011, 08:15 AM
have one. it's great and in the end it's more economical.

i went through like 2-3 hoover/eureka vacs before i finally caved and got a dyson. granted it, i found one on clearance and snagged it.

man i got tired of those hoovers/eurekas breaking down after a year or two and then it's so much easier to just empty the canister than pull out the old vac bag and replace it.

nicer all round. agree, dyson = serotta. :rolleyes:

JMerring
06-28-2011, 08:28 AM
if you pay peanuts, you tend to get monkeys. i spent what was at the time a lot of money for a vacuum; it was a miele. it works like a charm and is going strong to this day, 10 years on, with not a day's problem. if it ever dies, i'll be sure to spend what is sure to be a lot of money on another miele.

firerescuefin
06-28-2011, 08:32 AM

RPS
06-28-2011, 08:47 AM
My wife bought one last month and it seems to do a much better job on dog hair than our Hoover which is quite old; and in fairness has held up very well except for a belt replacement. The Dyson is lighter and easier to push around, but what I like best is that it doesn’t smell when it’s running. The smell and/or feeling of breathing dust from the old vacuum always bothered me even when I used a new bag.

Other than cost what I don’t like about it is the general design. I don’t know exactly what it is about it I don’t like but it seems mechanically too clunky or something. It’s hard to say it’s overdesigned because maybe it was required to do what it does, but in general the design doesn’t flow to my liking. Maybe after I’ve used it a few times I’ll get used to it, but for now I’m more impressed with the results than the vacuum itself.

Also, it’s a lot quieter than the Hoover. Much quieter.

tuxbailey
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
I bought a refurbished DC-14 All in one from woots (likely a return to Costco and refurbished by Dyson) 4 years ago and it works great. I have 2 cats and it sucks up a lot of stuff from the carpets.

So far so good and all my friends who own one loves it.

staggerwing
06-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Umm, check Woot today, if you like. A refurb though, if you can live with that.

ultraman6970
06-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I have 2 dogs that shed like crazy maniacs. Chau mixed with newfounlands, not that big dogs but u guys can imagine the amount of shedding they have in the summer.

Bought a Hoover pet vacuum for about 200 bucks. I don't have carpet but i get hair stuck in every single couch and sofas around the house. Use it twice a day and house is clean. Has an attachment for furniture also that really does the job, bag less also so we are happy, hope it doesn't break or something.

Good alternative to dyson, did not have 500 to spend in a dyson.

ultratoad
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I guess if we can't talk about bikes, vacuums are next best thing! I have a Dyson Animal and it is the finest functioning and best designed machine I have ever used. AND, I am not affraid to admit that I do the vacuuming and my wife does the yards! Great deal if you ask me....

The rotating brush attachment is my favorite feature-- put it on the wond or directly on the hose for furniture or stairs, makes short work of Chihuahua hair! Yes, I reluctantly agreed to a couple of Chihuahua for my wife. AND, I will now admit they are my favorite dogs in the world-- but digress....

tuxbailey
06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Umm, check Woot today, if you like. A refurb though, if you can live with that.

Yup. I just saw that. DC28 with 6 months warranty from Dyson.

This is similar to the deal I got with DC14.

BengeBoy
06-28-2011, 10:52 AM
We owned a Dyson when we lived in England, and as soon as they were introduced in the U.S. (2002?) we rushed to buy one. We bought a second one in 2003. We had minor issues w/both of them last fall -- I took them to an authorized repair guy, spent $100 or so, and got them both back....good as new.

Good value for almost 10 years of use, lots of pet hair, etc.

Ozz
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Miele user here.

Picked up a "Salsa" about a year ago....I'd always hated vacuuming...now I just don't like it. :cool:

I like the idea of stuff going into a bag, the bag sealing and getting tossed. The bag changing process on the Miele is the way it should be on all vacuums. The whole bag-less idea seems odd to me.....

Idris Icabod
06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Had one in England before we moved here 13-14 years ago and got one when they starting selling here probably 9ish years ago. Still have the same one, its needed a few new parts and actually a lot of the new hoses. You can get generic parts on ebay that seem as good as the Dyson parts for a fraction of the cost.

I agree the cost seems outlandish but then I think back at some of the bike frames I have bought and can't believe now that I paid that much. I guess we all get cheaper in retrospect.

Squint
06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Parents bought a new house and the previous owners had two dogs so they paid $500 to have it professionally cleaned. They had also vacuumed a lot using their vacuums. Despite all that, I was still finding a lot of dog hairs stuck to my black pants after sitting on the floor assembling furniture so I got my Dyson and started vacuuming:

http://www.fototime.com/F01DFC4FE69ADAC/standard.jpg

I had to empty it several times. It was full of dog fur and regular dust.

I empty the canister outside. I don't like vacuums with disposable bags because my cheapness just encourages me to vacuum less.

bagochips3
06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Had a Bissel that was very loud and sucked (haha). Our dog is very reactive to fleas and we were losing the battle against them. Got a Miele to do a better job getting the flea eggs in the carpet and because it is very quiet (the dog is also not a fan of loud vacuums).

Flea problem solved. Vacuum is also light and easy to use on stairs. Money well spent. We got the cheapest model that included the rotating brush attachment.

SoCalSteve
06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
The Top Gear boys say the 3 best things to come out of England are:

Jaguar E Type

Concorde Supersonic jet

and...

the Dyson vacuum cleaner

zap
06-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Okay we just bought a Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum cleaner that cost six hundred something dollars...

How freakin' obnoxious is that? I think this is a sign of the end of the world. Those with any semblance of an education in classics will see this as pure pleonexia.

Vanity aside, I'm looking forward to the wife using it. I suffer from some exercise induced asthma, and have some allergies that came on in my adulthood. I'm hoping it makes a difference in our house (no pets).

Anyone else have a Dyson? Which model did you get? Which model would you get now if you had to repurchase and why?

The wife didn't like the canister models, and hated the ball versions. She was sold when the suction on the DC28 actually pulled the vaccuum forward on its own, almost like it was self-propelled.

So what's more obnoxious, high zoot bicycles or vacuums?

Can't help you dude, US$600 circa summer 2011 doesn't get you what you need.

Spend more for a Miele and be happy.

obnoxious...........well........life's too short to sniffle all day and ride crap.

Dekonick
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Yup - have a Dyson. We bought it at Costco several years back. I am still amazed at what it sucks up compared to our old vac.

dave thompson
06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
The Top Gear boys say the 3 best things to come out of England are:

Jaguar E Type

Concorde Supersonic jet

and...

the Dyson vacuum cleaner
Two out of three for me!

rice rocket
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Concorde?

Jealous. :D

John M
06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
We've had a Dyson for 8+ years. It is one product that is worth the money. Dude that invented it deserves to be a billionaire.

johnnymossville
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
you don't need much of a vacuum cleaner when you've got all hardwood floors and tile.

but,.. I do like my Hoover Wind Tunnel T Series something or other. Works really well for $120

Stafford
06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Intended to buy a Dyson at a specialty store and got talked into a Sebo. It was MORE money than the Dyson. If nothing else, the German workmanship is nice. Seems to suck a lot. Still, with a bagless, you can more easily see the filth.

buldogge
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
+1(0) for Miele.

My wife does all the vacuuming...but...on the rare occasion I need to do it, I appreciate how well the Miele works...typical German engineering (I'm a BMW snob as well, FWIW ;) ).

-Mark in St. Louis

avalonracing
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
But isn't it Dirt Devil with best slogan in the industry?:

"Put the power of an upright in the palm of your hand"

Man, I vacuumed a lot as a teenager.

1happygirl
06-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Ummm. Sorry but the X chromosome here says "Rainbow" Rainbow you say?!

Yep. After years of buying bags, emptying sand (hey I have had dogs), it just wasn't cool. Um, years ago paid double what the new dysons/mieles (hmm new one on me) I am happy. Dirt goes straight into water. Sure lots of disadvantages and consumer reports doesn't like but I do.

Friend bought one for $3.00 at a garage sale. looked like from the 1950s but still ran and worked great.